Autoflight taking off thrust settings

GaryMcCl

Please take a look at the screen: dot

Please login to display this image.

The problem is that I don't know what the V/S setting is put there for.  I've never used it before, and how fast I take off always seems.  The problem is that I'm crashing the A321 nearly all of the time because of my speed (I guess I'm flying too slow) both takeoff and landing.  It's definitely a training problem for me so can someone point me to the document that will help me along.  I specifically need to know what the filled in DOT means.

Gaz

4 minutes ago, GaryMcCl said:

Please take a look at the screen: dot

The problem is that I don't know what the V/S setting is put there for.  I've never used it before, and how fast I take off always seems.  The problem is that I'm crashing the A321 nearly all of the time because of my speed (I guess I'm flying too slow) both takeoff and landing.  It's definitely a training problem for me so can someone point me to the document that will help me along.  I specifically need to know what the filled in DOT means.

Gaz

Gary,

I recommend taking a look at Volume 4 of our documentation and learning about the Selected and Managed Modes (I urge you to read Volume 4 cover to cover, it will save you loads of time).  I also urge you to read Volume 8.  To answer your question, the Dot shows up when Altitude is in the Managed Mode (with the FMGS figuring out the Vertical Speed for you, which is why V/S blank - though you can always read it on the PFD!  You may always place the FMGS in the selected mode if you wish to control the Vertical Speed yourself.

Again, take the time to go through Volume 4 and 8, it will make all the difference.

Best wishes.

Hi @DaveCT2003

I'm getting into  this but I need to tell the aircraft how to maintain that speed (and no more)? Before I takeoff I want to know to set system to not any faster than a percentage of the v2 - how do I tell this to this autopilot, I want it to take off and I'm told.

I'm having difficulty finding how to set the aircraft the speed on liftoff. 

Gaz

Prior to takeoff place the speed into Selected Mode, set the desired speed, and after departure place the thrust levers in the climb detent.  But Gary, this is all covered in the documentation and Step-by-Step (Volume 6) of the documentation.

Archived