was setting up the aircraft from parking stand and accidentally clicked the TO mode on the throttles. How do I cancel the "To To" on the FMA?

Please login to display this image.

6 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Switch off the flight director. This should cancel any active mode.

I tried this several times to no avail. 

25 minutes ago, Philip_sim said:

I tried this several times to no avail. 

Quick video to show it doesn’t disappear when resetting the FD

Please login to view this video.

Real world RJ trainer here,

Both FDs need to be turned off in order to make this work. Keeping either one on will prevent the reset from occurring. Although (in the real plane) they offer separately computed guidance cues based on tiny differences from their on-site inputs (ADC, AHRS, FMS and radio NAV, etc), the Flight Control Panel inputs are shared between both, so as long as one FD is awake, the other will always match it when it's cycled. 

That being said, clicking the TO mode early isn't that big a deal as long as you re-click it on the runway. For takeoffs, there really isn't another mode that makes sense as the TO pitch and roll indications prevent erroneous or dangerous initial climb guidance. Once airborne, then you can swap over to SPD or VS mode for vertical guidance and HDG or NAV for lateral guidance. Personally, taxing with the TO mode displayed happens. 

TO/TO is the only authorized takeoff mode for the FD in the CRJ. I teach our crews to kill the FD completely and leave it off until going on the runway to preclude an accidental takeoff in an un-authorized mode. By having it off, you're removing the chance to mistakenly think it's properly configured when lining up. 

Happy flying! 

3 hours ago, A_Pilot said:

Real world RJ trainer here,

Both FDs need to be turned off in order to make this work. Keeping either one on will prevent the reset from occurring. Although (in the real plane) they offer separately computed guidance cues based on tiny differences from their on-site inputs (ADC, AHRS, FMS and radio NAV, etc), the Flight Control Panel inputs are shared between both, so as long as one FD is awake, the other will always match it when it's cycled. 

That being said, clicking the TO mode early isn't that big a deal as long as you re-click it on the runway. For takeoffs, there really isn't another mode that makes sense as the TO pitch and roll indications prevent erroneous or dangerous initial climb guidance. Once airborne, then you can swap over to SPD or VS mode for vertical guidance and HDG or NAV for lateral guidance. Personally, taxing with the TO mode displayed happens. 

TO/TO is the only authorized takeoff mode for the FD in the CRJ. I teach our crews to kill the FD completely and leave it off until going on the runway to preclude an accidental takeoff in an un-authorized mode. By having it off, you're removing the chance to mistakenly think it's properly configured when lining up. 

Happy flying! 

great explanation, appreciate it!

Archived