CRJ pro performance issues in both p3dv5 and v4.5

Hello,

I was waiting an occasion to get this aircraft since a long time so I've just bought the CRJ pro for P3D, my PC spec reach the recommended, but while it's claimed to be "VAS and FPS friendly ", it has pretty bad fps on my config.
Compare to the aerosoft airbus a319-318 pro, I get about half of the fps I have with the airbus in the VC, wich make something from about 30 to 40 fps in the airbus, and it goes from 15 to 25 fps in the CRJ with a lot of sutters.
Something weird is, usually I get much better performances in p3dv5 compare to the v4.5, but here, performances are bad in both...

For now I'm pretty disappointed, because these performances are pretty much keeping me from enjoying the experience and using this aircraft.

I hope there is an issue here, and it's not the expected performances : I was thinking that the promised "FPS friendly" would be at least as good we can have with the aerosoft airbus pro serie.

Best,

M

These two screenshots are taken in p3dv4.5 HF3 with same settings at about the same place ( I've just changed vehicule right after I've took the first screenshot with the CRJ to take the A318) and here you can see the huge difference of the FPS : 15 in the CRJ vs 44 in the a319. That show pretty well how critical the problem is.

Please login to display this image.

Could you plz post more info as to what your setup is? There isn't lots here for Hans to work with :/ P3D version, PC specs, P3D settings, additional addons. All of it helps us help you. 

Most users reports good VAS and good FPS, and this post stands out as an outlier, so there's an chance that something might be conflicting with the RJ. 

Hello,

unfortunately I noticed the same performance issue. I do have the CRJ and all Airbus Pro variants installed in Prepar3D v5 HF2. So far I completed only two flights with the CRJ but the relative low framerates (about 20% below the Airbus) did surprise me. But this is a very subjective perception - I did no thorough testing.

Regards

Gerhard

• Upvote 1

• Developer

All I see here is a minor difference between the CRJ and the Airbus. Definitely not 20% or framerates anywhere below 40fps. OK, I have a powerful PC, but the difference should not be this big.

40 fps, that’s nice! Maybe I would get this en-route but I fly locked at 30 fps and I’m pretty sure you talk about a clean installation.

I only lock at what I get during departure and approach with the add-ons I have installed.
So primarily Active Sky for Prepar3D beta #6 and #7, GSX Level 2, Traffic Global and of course diverse airport scenery.

Yesterday’s flight took me to EBBR BRUSSELS (JustSim). With some clouds I had about 15 fps on the approach with the CRJ
which is flyable and about what I get with PMDGs 747

Today I flew to EIDW DUBLIN (MK-STUDIOS) with overcast skies and rainy conditions the AS Airbus A320 had about 20+ fps on approach.
That’s pretty good and about what I get with the Maddog.

But to prove it I made a little test now. EBBR BRUSSELS (JustSim), Gate 155, 12:00 UTC, Fair Weather, Turnaround mode:

Aerosoft A320 at 30 fps (locked)

CRJ 900 fps pulsating around 20 fps (16-25)

That's actually more than 20%.

Regards
Gerhard

• Upvote 1

Hello,

Thanks Gerhard/Kolman for reporting the same issue, A_Pilot, I've mentionned the versions of P3d I'm using in the first post, my config is GPU 1070 TI 8GO VRAM, 48 GO ram, windows 10 v2004, SSD 2TO and CPU Ryzen 5 1600X.
I have posted two screenshots with exact same settings of the Aerosoft CRJ pro and Airbus a319-318 pro, it shows the problem, as Gerhard said, I have more than 20% of Fps hit between the two aircrafts, and it's even more than 50% in my case, plus with the CRJ it's not even smooth at this framerate while I got smooth framerate with the airbus with more than 50% fps more, I think there is nothing wrong with my settings and I've actually played with it to try different combination that could help with the CRJ, but nothing helped so far, it runs bad even with very low settings. I have a lot of aircraft addons, and this is the only one I have fps issues with. This is definitely not what I call "FPS friendly"...

I've made some other test yesterday with different combination, with EA weather, without, and the bigest issue with the CRJ is what mentionned Gerhard, not only the fps can be low compare to other aircraft of his range but the fps are pulsating, it can go from 15 to 30 in an airport, and then from 16 to 60 during cruise with unlimited framerate ( never seen anything like that before! ), but it's doing this pulsation almost every second, so when you try to pan, it's stuttering a lot. I've tried it with limited framerate also, and the problem is still here. Also tried it without chaseplane, and didn't solved it.

My PC spec are not that bad, I can run complex sceneries ( like ORBX true Earth ) with complex airports and study level aircraft at a smooth 30 fps with EA enabled and almost maxed out autogen in v5, so I wasn't expected at all such bad performances from an aerosoft aircraft, I had only good experiences with the bus before...

Best,

M

I’m unfortunately experiencing the same phenomenon. At first, I thought RTSS (which i use for smooth performance) needs updating. When I turned it off, my fps were spiking between 25 and 80 at fsdreamteam’s KCLT ramp. I noticed, as soon as I use the internal fps limiter, or any other means to cap fps introduce really bad stuttering in the CRJ. 

I’m running Win 10, 2004 on an medium oc’d 9700 with a 8gb 2080, sliders mostly medium in P3Dv5hf2, EA on with only 1024 textures on a 32 inch 4K monitor. 

Cheers,

Pete

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
18 minutes ago, Manuel C said:

Thanks for reporting Pete, I hope someone from aerosoft will see this thread and we can get a solution about this...

Hans Hartmann, the dev already gave an answer, so whom else do you expect to answer?

Alternative is to open a support ticket, if you find the devs answer not sufficient.

Hello mopperle,
Well, Hans Hartmann told us that he sees minor differences on his config, admitting he has a powerfull PC, but since that it appears that I'm not the only one experiencing that with some config that should be more than enough to run the CRJ, so yes I was expecting a little more than " I don't see the problem on my config" and I will raise a ticket if it's really needed, but I thought the purpose of the support forum was to get some help with the issues we can meet, didn't thought I needed to open a support ticket in addition...

• Developer

Forget the ticket. All that's going to happen is that they send me an email and ask me for a solution - which I don't have.

One thing that might help (and that's a major difference compared to the Airbus, because the CRJ has actual F/O displays while the ones on the right side of the Airbus are just copies of the left ones. Due to this, the number of draw operations in the CRJ is much higher) is if you switch off the F/O side displays in the EFB. This should improve the FPS.

Hello Hans,

I was about to raise the ticket, so ok but I'm not sure I understand your position here : are you telling me there is no way to get help about this issue with the CRJ ? Or does that mean it will be somehow investigate to identify the issue and hopefully find a way to fix it?

Thanks for your answer,

Best,

M

• Developer

Before anything can be done about any issue, I need to be able to reproduce it. As long as this is not the case, chances are slim that I can do something about it. Especially in an environment like Prepar3D where users often have many other add-ons installed that are active all the time.

As I wrote in my previous post, I'm pretty sure that the number of draw operations has something to do with it. So, please try to disable the F/O side displays in the EFB and let me know if and by how much that improves your framerate.

Hello Hans,

I've just gave a try with disabled side displays, with the same settings and same location of my first screenshots, and unfortunately this is still the same, fps are pulsating between 16 to 40 fps continuously.

Is the A330 in your hanger? How are the FPS there?

Dont forget you are combaring a non PBR VC with a full PBR VC too this can also cause some loss in FPS.

Disabling the FO Displays safes indeed FPS, I did that on my old computer too.

1 hour ago, Bernd E. said:

Is the A330 in your hanger? How are the FPS there?

Dont forget you are combaring a non PBR VC with a full PBR VC too this can also cause some loss in FPS.

Disabling the FO Displays safes indeed FPS, I did that on my old computer too.

Hello Bernd,
I don't have the a330 but I do have other aircrafts that are full PBR, never really notice a performance difference between them and those wich doesn't use PBR material.
Anyway, at this state I've asked for a contract retractation with aerosoft, I cannot use this aircraft with those kind of performances issues.

Best,

• Developer
vor 2 Stunden , Manuel C sagte:

I don't have the a330 but I do have other aircrafts that are full PBR

I'm not aware that there are any except Maddog, A330 and CRJ. Everything else is not full PBR (the exterior models yes, but not the cockpits - updating those for PBR is a major effort).

I doubt that is the reason. I'm discussing a potential reason and possible solution with some of my beta testers right now.

Hello Hans,

There is several, but they are not airliners, some small GA aircraft from Just-flight, A2A ( c172 and piper cub ), lionheart Zenith, the Ants tigermoth pro, aeroplane heaven did some too... I'm not comparing those light aircraft with airliners, I know they are not as complex, but for example, there is no performance difference between the A2A with PBR and those without, and comparing to other aircraft of their range, I really don't think there is any proof that the PBR have a performance impact.

Thanks for investigating the issue.

Best,

M

• Developer
vor 33 Minuten, Manuel C sagte:

Hello Hans,

There is several, but they are not airliners, some small GA aircraft from Just-flight, A2A ( c172 and piper cub ), lionheart Zenith, the Ants tigermoth pro, aeroplane heaven did some too... I'm not comparing those light aircraft with airliners, I know they are not as complex, but for example, there is no performance difference between the A2A with PBR and those without, and comparing to other aircraft of their range, I really don't think there is any proof that the PBR have a performance impact.

Thanks for investigating the issue.

Best,

M

OK. My bad. I was just considering airliners. Not smaller aircraft. Sorry for that.

To put the issue another way, the CRJ was far better performance wise than my FSL Airbus in P3D4.5.  In V5, the CRJ now lags way behind FSL.  Something is chewing up frames in a major way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, curt1 said:

To put the issue another way, the CRJ was far better performance wise than my FSL Airbus in P3D4.5.  In V5, the CRJ now lags way behind FSL.  Something is chewing up frames in a major way.

This is very strange. My experience has been just the opposite. In P3D 4.5, The CRJ Pro had definite and continuous frame rate fluctuations. Not enough to make the aircraft unflyable, but noticeable.

In P3D 5, the CRJ is absolutely smooth, no fluctuations at all, and certainly comparable to FSL, PMDG or other add-ons that have been released for V5. My frame rates are externally locked at 30, and the CRJ has no problem maintaining that.

My computer hardware did not change going from 4.5 to 5, other than the fact that I do update my graphics drivers on a regular basis as new versions are released by Nvidia

I know Hans is looking into the graphics drawing calls that the CRJ uses to see if there are ways to optimize things further. Obviously not every user is seeing frame rate problems, and I’m curious as to why that may be. I’m assuming that is has something to do with specific CPU/GPU combinations. My CPU is an older 4790K OC to 4.2 GHz. My GPU is a newer GTX-1080 Ti, with 11 GB.

I was able to lock my frames to 30 using the CRJ X. With the CRJ Pro, I get in the 20s in urban areas. Not bad and still usable, but would be nice to lock to 30 FPS again. 

Using the HUD (which I prefer for landings) really negatively impacts FPS, dropping it into the teens in urban areas... so I have to choose between HUD or a reasonable FPS.

My specs are Intel Core i7-9750h, RTX 2060 with 6GB VRAM. 

I would like to report that when the flight first starts, there is no stuttering at all, but after an hour or two, the huge fluctuations start. RivaTuner worked wonders, but unfortunately is not stable with p3dv5. I did see some posts on the the p3d forum about fps drops later on in the flight, but have not seen a solution for that yet. (P3DV5)