P3D v5 HF 2 more stable?

janjoensson

Hi!

Currently flying P3D v4.5 on new top computer and is happy with that. However my plan has been to switch over to P3D v5, but after reading Aerosoft/Mathijs recommendation to wait until the plattform stabilizes I have stayed away from switching.

Now with HF 2 out I was wondering if this recommendation still stands or if many of the issues has been resolved.

I have also read here on the forum that Aerosoft was finding it difficult to develop advanced aircraft modells for the P3D plattform. With the P3D v5 hopefully getting more and more stable, will Aerosoft continue development of your superb high quality add-ons for P3D v5 for the foreseeable future or are the problems so big that it is actually better to stay with 4.5 and wait for the new Microsoft Flightsim 2020 (which I will get anyway when it is out, but you got to fly this summer aswell)?

I might add that I mainly fly with Aerosoft aircrafts and to Aerosoft or ORBX airports so I want to use the plattform which gives the best quality and stability for these products, thats why I am asking.

Thank you very much for all the high quality products we keep on getting from you, year after year!

Best regards

Jan Jönsson

Prepar3Dv5 came as a total surprise to me. Some nice new features but you'll have to wait a few months until all add-ons are available, all initial bugs are ironed out. Since MSFS2020 will also arrive I decided to stay on P3Dv4.5HF3 and enjoy flying until MSFS2020 drops.

Personally, I will not switch the v5 until P3D v5.1 is released I guess.

The things I read about v5 don't make me really happy.

My v4.5 is running so smooth without any Sim issues and its looking good either, so no benefit with v5 for me :)

I can say for my part that my investment in p3d v5 still leaves a bitter taste. I dont have a very expensive system, and I can never expect to run high-end stuff with settings maxed out, but I never had such stability and memory issues in v4 as I have in v5. I hope this will be resolved soon, but I would also advice people to hold on to their money for the time being.

58 minutes ago, Thomas Hao said:

For the rain inside, how can we fix it, in next update will fix it?

Try disabling reflections in your graphic settings, or try turning off Enhanced Atmospherics.  Failing that, you can fix it by going back to P3Dv4.5HF3 (funny, but also not joking).

On 25.6.2020 at 13:07, Mathijs Kok sagte:

If you need one more proof V5 is not ready.... in HF2 it still rains inside the cockpit when it rains outside. Now that is cool in a Sopwith Camel, but in a A330 not so much.

That’s only an issue with Enhanced Atmospherics which Lockheed clearly states is still in beta. So here you are trying to ridicule them with a “funny” bug that’s affecting a feature that is in beta and that nobody is forced to even use? Wow. 

EA will come out of beta in 5.1 and LM never claimed it’s fully ready yet. You always have the option to use traditional sky and clouds. 

Claiming this is a general bug with v5 is just disingenuous on your part. The way you’re trying to throw Lockheed under the bus in recent weeks shows that Aerosoft is going to try and shift focus to MSFS I suppose but trash-talking a platform you’ve made a lot of money off is rather bizarre.  You’ve missed no opportunity to talk about how unhappy you are with Lockheed (the SDK, bugs... etc.). Do you really feel like you should be doing this in public as a business? 

Trying to burn your bridges with LM in public?

P3D5 has been very solid for me and looks fantastic. Hotfix 2 has solved most of the pressing bugs. I can’t even imagine going back to 4.5. 

• Aerosoft

Well I am happy you feel P3d V5 is working out well for you.  Personally I am not very happy. I still have a whole list of issues and basically P3d V4.5 works better, faster and more stable. There is little or nothing on V5 that would attract me personally to upgrade. The biggest plus would be Enhanced  Atmosphere, as it looks damned good. But it is deeply flawed and is an option in the sim, not noted are being 'beta' in any way. So our customers will select that and find problems. We have had 73 customers complain that the Airbusses had rain in the cockpit and ALL of those customers blamed that error on us.  Where exactly would a standard customer who just bought the product and installed it know some parts of the sim were not in release state?  How would a normal customer know that rain in the cockpit (I call that a serious issue btw) is something that Lockheed intends to fix sometime in the future?

As developers we have found it incredibly hard to work with as things changed from beta beta and even from RC to RC.  We have excellent connections to Lockheed's development team. I got the cell phone numbers of some. We are not trying to burn bridges, but in the end our loyalty is to our customers and not Lockheed.

Exactly what makes V5 so much better for you the V4.5?

To be honest Mathijs, V5 is a lot better than V4.5.  For one it looks better.  EA or no EA it looks better.  Most importantly it is without question better on performance.  An easy example is to start a vatsim flight in Montreal or Boston or JFK.  In the past some of these sceneries could test my locked 30 frames.  But not now.  They run very smooth almost like I'm at a default airport.  There is no question it is not without its problems.  But it seems most who have had the proper hardware and proper settings have got it working nice and have discontinued any V4 flying.  I know I have and many others.  I'm disappointed that LM didn't work closely enough with the big developers to get a product that was more seamless out of the gate.  That's on them, not you.  I see some optimism for the future of V5.  Have you ever noticed that most of the videos that have been posted in MSFS are choppy and/or fuzzy?  I'll leave it alone due to the NDA.  But I am honestly not sold one bit on MSFS.  But the screenshots look fantastic.  All frustration aside that you may have with the way V5 was introduced, I struggle to see how you can't see the things that make it better than V4.5.

33 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

But it is deeply flawed and is an option in the sim, not noted are being 'beta' in any way. So our customers will select that and find problems.

Mathijs,

The option is marked "Enhanced Atmospherics (Beta)".

Randy

7 minutes ago, Dave Gray said:

To be honest Mathijs, V5 is a lot better than V4.5.  For one it looks better.  EA or no EA it looks better.  Most importantly it is without question better on performance.  An easy example is to start a vatsim flight in Montreal or Boston or JFK.  In the past some of these sceneries could test my locked 30 frames.  But not now.  They run very smooth almost like I'm at a default airport.  There is no question it is not without its problems.  But it seems most who have had the proper hardware and proper settings have got it working nice and have discontinued any V4 flying.  I know I have and many others.  I'm disappointed that LM didn't work closely enough with the big developers to get a product that was more seamless out of the gate.  That's on them, not you.  I see some optimism for the future of V5.  Have you ever noticed that most of the videos that have been posted in MSFS are choppy and/or fuzzy?  I'll leave it alone due to the NDA.  But I am honestly not sold one bit on MSFS.  But the screenshots look fantastic.  All frustration aside that you may have with the way V5 was introduced, I struggle to see how you can't see the things that make it better than V4.5.

The thing is, what is "better"?

I agree that EA looks pretty darn nice if you look at it on screenshots.

But actually flying in the sim it has severe limits. For one it can't transition smoothly to new weathers. Then it still has very limited (3?) types of clouds.

Then, I'm flying at 450kt ground speed and I'm overtaken by clouds in cruise? What?!

EA is a nice demo of what's possible with a new engine. I kinda see it the same way as the Dx10 Preview back in FSX days. Looked nice, but was pretty buggy.

In my opinion a good sim is made mainly by two points: Usability and reliability.

Is v5 usable? Well, apart from the continious crashes, high demand on hardware, yes, it is. I flew some 300h in it since its release, thanks to short time work in my real job.
If you don't have high end hardware v4.5 performs better than v5 though. With high end hardware v5 performs better than v4.5. I tend to say most simmers do not actually have high end hardware as in 5GHz CPUs, RTX 20xx's, 32GB RAM, etc.

Then there's reliability. Sure, I spent most of my v5 time flying HF1. And what can I say, it crashed in one way of the other on every second flight.

With HF2 I've had one ctd now in like 5 flights. Better, but still not reliable. But we'll see where things go, 5 flights is not exactly a point to judge from.

Compare to that P3Dv4.5: It runs as it should, hardly any ctds, etc.
People have been using it for 3 years now without major problems affecting usability or reliability. v5 isn't even close to that reliability, even with HF2.

So yeah, the sim is on a good way and has a huge potential. I need to second Mathijs opinion though, in terms of what most people want to do with it, it's not getting close to v4.5 yet, though it's certainly on a good way.

vor 7 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

Well I am happy you feel P3d V5 is working out well for you.  Personally I am not very happy. I still have a whole list of issues and basically P3d V4.5 works better, faster and more stable. There is little or nothing on V5 that would attract me personally to upgrade. The biggest plus would be Enhanced  Atmosphere, as it looks damned good. But it is deeply flawed and is an option in the sim, not noted are being 'beta' in any way. So our customers will select that and find problems. We have had 73 customers complain that the Airbusses had rain in the cockpit and ALL of those customers blamed that error on us.  Where exactly would a standard customer who just bought the product and installed it know some parts of the sim were not in release state?  How would a normal customer know that rain in the cockpit (I call that a serious issue btw) is something that Lockheed intends to fix sometime in the future?

As developers we have found it incredibly hard to work with as things changed from beta beta and even from RC to RC.  We have excellent connections to Lockheed's development team. I got the cell phone numbers of some. We are not trying to burn bridges, but in the end our loyalty is to our customers and not Lockheed.

Exactly what makes V5 so much better for you the V4.5?

I have better FPS and fewer stutters in P3D v5 and from what I see on all P3D-related forums that is basically the experience most people are reporting. That is the biggest plus I'm seeing. The smoothness is amazing compared to 4.5 and adds a lot of immersion.

Contrary to what you're claiming, Enhanced Atmospherics is clearly marked as "Beta" in P3D5's options and has been all along since release. I'm not sure why you're saying it isn't, when it clearly is. It literally flat out says "Beta" in brackets behind the option in the settings.

What left me dumbfounded the most is the way you've been slagging off Lockheed for weeks now. I can't imagine what this is doing to your "excellent connections". But that is obviously your call to make. I just find it unprofessional to do this in public. Not exactly a classy thing to do.

And don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate both you personally and Aerosoft in general. Your support, pricing and update policy are reasonable, and I appreciate that I'm allowed to criticize you once in a while, like I'm doing now. It's just so weird to me to see you publicly slam Lockheed and now even post blatant falsehoods about EA not being marked as Beta. I just... don't get it? We all have bad days once in a while I guess but yours has been going on for weeks now. Hope the stress level will go down again soon. :) Must have been a lot of work recently.

V5 looks amazing..I can finally fly the Bus 320 pro ..But I cant use the lively manager ..It will not work with my newer pc build. Its the only piece of software thats giving me a headache besides P3D.

Please login to display this image.

Archived