What wrong with the forum? Tell us.

• Aerosoft

Hi all,

We are currently working on upgrading and updating our forums to keep things a bit more organized and to make them easier to use.

Since our customers are the main users of our forum, we'd like to get direct feedback from yourselves to understand how we can improve the experience, whether that be moving around some categories, adding more ways to login, or adding new features. We'd also like to take this time to fix any forum-related bugs, so if you've found any that we might not be aware of please do let us know so we can resolve it.

Please provide any forum suggestions, feedback or bugs in this thread.

A minor thing, but still worth mentioning I think.

When looking at notifications, I often get "Somebody reacted to a post in a topic {topic name here}". In fact they didn't actually react, they just liked or thanked. So I think that text should change.

As I said, it's a minor thing. I can live with it. But if you're fixing things anyway, might as well look at this.

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, PatrickZ said:

In fact they didn't actually react, they just liked or thanked

Liking, thanking and/or writing is a reaction to a post. So ‘react’ is factually correct here. I guess you would rather see the word ‘replied’ used when someone actually wrote something as a reaction to a post. 

I always start reading the forum with 'unread content' in condensed format.

It is normally nearly impossible to guess the mentioned Sim or Add-on out of the listed headlines.

Can the threads for the different Sims/Add-ons be more clearly seperated?

We have so many of them currently and for me it would be a great benefit when reading e.g.
[FSX, FSX-SE] or [XPlane] or [P3Dv4] or ... prior to the headline of the new post.
So I can skip reading new posts which are not on my interest list.

Some time ago when clicking on 'Mark site read' the activity list was automatically rebuild.

This is nowerdays not the case and you have to press F5 to clear the list.

Minor extra action but sometimes it would be helpful to have this refresh automated again.

In my opinion threads should not be closed only because the moderator *believes* they have been answered. Only once the customer *confirms* the problem is solved or after a certain period of time (say two weeks) without an answer they should be closed.

8 hours ago, frumpy said:

We have so many of them currently and for me it would be a great benefit when reading e.g.
[FSX, FSX-SE] or [XPlane] or [P3Dv4] or ... prior to the headline of the new post.

I agree with this.

In fact it can be taken one step further by creating different categories. Right now we got one "previews" category where the previews for all sims are. But most of us only fly one sim, the other ones are considered irrelevant. Looking at myself, I only fly P3D v4. All previews for X-Plane products are irrelevant to me, but they are in the forums that I read. It would go too far to say that it bothers me, I just skip them and when I've read all preview treats for P3D v4 products I hit the "mark all read" button. But it can be done better by having a separate preview forum for P3D products and one for X-Plane products, and maybe one for other products that can't be placed under either sim.

• Aerosoft
19 minutes ago, JarredP said:

Can these be made to disappear?

It's rather annoying as it uses up space and doesn't really help.

1. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password

Not easy, we use these for closed tests. Making user groups is a major pain in the arse for that. I also don't think it is really an issue.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, PatrickZ said:

When looking at notifications, I often get "Somebody reacted to a post in a topic {topic name here}". In fact they didn't actually react, they just liked or thanked. So I think that text should change.

We use the reaction system in our forum for both the like and thank reactions, so it is technically correct as Frank said, but we should be able to change it to "X liked a post in a topic {topic name}" or "X thanked a post in topic {top name}". Would this work better?

9 hours ago, frumpy said:

It is normally nearly impossible to guess the mentioned Sim or Add-on out of the listed headlines.

1 hour ago, PatrickZ said:

I agree with this.

In fact it can be taken one step further by creating different categories. Right now we got one "previews" category where the previews for all sims are. But most of us only fly one sim, the other ones are considered irrelevant. Looking at myself, I only fly P3D v4. All previews for X-Plane products are irrelevant to me, but they are in the forums that I read. It would go too far to say that it bothers me, I just skip them and when I've read all preview treats for P3D v4 products I hit the "mark all read" button. But it can be done better by having a separate preview forum for P3D products and one for X-Plane products, and maybe one for other products that can't be placed under either sim.

I definitely agree here, and it's actually one of the main priorities of this update/refresh. We'll be restructuring the forum so it's a lot easier to both find the place you need to post as well as find the place where you'd like to read posts. More on this soon.

9 hours ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

In my opinion threads should not be closed only because the moderator *believes* they have been answered. Only once the customer *confirms* the problem is solved or after a certain period of time (say two weeks) without an answer they should be closed.

I also agree with this, I believe it would also be beneficial for us to give users that open a thread permission to mark their own thread as solved/locked it if it is in a support category.

9 hours ago, frumpy said:

Some time ago when clicking on 'Mark site read' the activity list was automatically rebuild.

Minor extra action but sometimes it would be helpful to have this refresh automated again.

I believe this is more something to do with the forum software we use rather than something we can change, but I'll look into it just in case.

44 minutes ago, Tom F said:

We use the reaction system in our forum for both the like and thank reactions, so it is technically correct as Frank said, but we should be able to change it to "X liked a post in a topic {topic name}" or "X thanked a post in topic {top name}". Would this work better?

Indeed it would.

Only question that would arise is if X should tell the user name of the person who liked or thanked, or should it just say "somebody", leaving it anonymous. Actually, I don't really care. It's up to Aerosoft to decide.

I have over 100 of theese posts.

That is really a problem.

It is hopeless to use the "unread posts"

It should also be possible to have (like in almost every oyther forum) a possibilty to mark part of the forym read.

If I pres "mark forum as read" it will reset the whole forum.

It should be possible to mark sub-forums as read

Please login to display this image.

Maybe more consistent sections within each aircraft board would help people find help/answers more effectively? 

I mean, it's a long shot bcuz people love to just talk about problems wherever Google lands them....but we can hope! 

• 5 weeks later...

Suggestions...

Screen-shot forum should be separated from screen-contest forum, allowing more subject to be shown. Currently, only 3-4 subjects can be seen because the contest treads are so long.

Also, separation by sim (FS2020 a coming) would be great idea.

Darryl

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 6:35 PM, frumpy said:

This. I'm here to read FS2020. I know other forums have a dropdown when you create a post to allocate it to a subgroup so we can then filter that subgroup (like the above ie. FSX/P3D/FS2020/etc). 

Archived