Engines shutdown on descent

Hey I've had a odd experience with engines shutting down while descending to an approach.

Descending through maybe 10 - 11,000 ft, the engines start smoking from the outside view, and the throttles go to idle.  I can't move the throttles, they immediately snap back to idle if I try to use push them forward on my controls.  The engines still produce idle thrust for a while, but then, a bit later they completely quit and the RAT automatically deploys.  I'm unable to restart them, with APU / engine start switches.  I can lift the shutoff lever but the throttles will not snap back into the fuel shutoff position.  I also tried CTRL-E, they do get some N1 rotation but don't really start with that.  There are no warning indications prior to the engines shutting down.

This happens consistently - I did one MSP-ICT flight last week, and this occurred on descent at maybe 4000 ft.  I tried doing that flight again today, and it started at about 10,000 ft, with engines dying a bit later.  I happened to save this second flight a couple minutes before the engines start smoking.  When I load that saved flight, the engines always do this.  I've tried stopping the descent / increasing thrust / adding fuel (I had a bout 3000 lb left in each tank but tried adding more in case somehow they were mistakenly being seen as empty), and turning off autopilot / turning in a different direction to see if that has any impact.  It doesn't seem to.

Initially I thought this might just be a weird glitch, but it's happened on two separate flights / sim sessions.  If it were a CTD or something I would naturally think it would be scenery related, but an aircraft system change like this seems unlikely to be scenery related.  I have verified that there are no failures enabled in P3D, and afaik there are no failures built into the CRJ itself.  I'm running 2.0.0.3.

I do have FSUIPC, and am also using ActiveSky.  Nothing jumps out in logs for FSUIPC.  Any particular setting that might be relevant?

Using Saitek throttles.  It doesn't seem like the throttles are sending wrong signals - the throttles in the VC do momentarily move when I push the throttles forward, but then immediately snap back to idle.

• Developer

There's only two things I can think of: either the aircraft ran out of fuel or something triggered a fuel cutoff (the keyboard shortcut is usually Ctrl+Shift+F1)

Of possible interest - I happened to be overlying the Wichita area on another unrelated flight today (DEN-MCO with CS 757).  And a similar thing happened there at cruise this time over Wichita - both engines failed.  I removed the Wichita scenery I previously installed, and am redoing the flight now and it's been fine.  I am a bit mystified as to how scenery could cause that, with multiple different aircraft nonetheless. (The specific scenery was wichita_2019_377503_377503.zip at AVSIM if anyone was wondering).

• Developer

What can cause a total loss of power is if you use a Carenado aircraft as AI traffic (or other player aircraft, i.e. on VATSIM). Once it's loaded and gets in your range, it's DRM kicks in and shuts everything down. Is it possible that this is the case for you?

8 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

What can cause a total loss of power is if you use a Carenado aircraft as AI traffic (or other player aircraft, i.e. on VATSIM). Once it's loaded and gets in your range, it's DRM kicks in and shuts everything down. Is it possible that this is the case for you?

Thank god this isn't a feature on real life aircraft 

• Developer
vor 1 hour , A_Pilot sagte:

Thank god this isn't a feature on real life aircraft 

Just wait until you see the "Shareware! Your trial period has expired! Please enter your credit card details" during a CAT III approach :D

• Deputy Sheriffs

Please login to display this image.

If you still want to use the software „Lower your gear“ you have to register.

13 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

That's interesting - I didn't know you could use aircraft like that for AI.  I haven't been knowingly doing that.  Perhaps the scenery was doing something similar / funky.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Archived