P3D CTD on my way to KPHX

gpxe

Hello

I was flying from KBUR to KPHX with an A320 IAE Pro bus, descending the HYDRR1 STAR to land on 25L. Approximately 3 nm before AGGLA (12.000 ft alt), P3D crashed. I tried another time after a clean restart of my computer and the same thing happened. I tried to fly the same route with different aircrafts (prop and jets) and I did not encounter any issue. I have KPHX from FB.

Not saying the bus is the cause but it only happens with the bus. How can I investigate further ?

I'm running v1.3.1 on P3D v4.5.13.32097

Thanks

PS : when looking at the Event Viewer, it says it has to do with kernelbase.dll

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, gpxe said:

PS : when looking at the Event Viewer, it says it has to do with kernelbase.dll

The most weird error ever; and in 99,9% of all cases related to brocken system files, drivers etc.

Seach google for P3D+kernelbase.dll andy you will find tons of suggestions

The reason why you get this "only" with the Bus is quite simple: the Bus calls certain function from Windows files, which others dont do. And if he doesnt get a proper response: crash.

Hi Otto

I would tend to buy your explanation but one question remains : why only with the bus and why only at that specific position ?

To be more explicit : I never had any issue so far with the bus, no crash, no freeze, nothing..... What "function" could possibly be called 3 nm from AGGLA ?

Thanks

• Deputy Sheriffs
33 minutes ago, gpxe said:

why only with the bus

I explained it alrady, but here again: The Bus relies on certain functions of Windows and its subsystems (.NET, C++ reditributables etc.) and if the bus calls a function of one of those systems and doesnt get the correct response, then it fails. If other addons do not call such a function at all, they do of course not fail.

And if this happens in combination with a specific other addon and/or at a specific point, it is very likely that another addon is involved.

Can you please attach your flightplan? Maybe I can do the flight when I have some time left. And which navdata provider are you using and which cycle? Did you use real weather and if so which Weather engine?

Also which add-ons are you using in this area?

1 hour ago, gpxe said:

What "function" could possibly be called 3 nm from AGGLA ?

Otto is correct.  Remember that the Airbus uses the latest compilers for P3D whereas other aircraft addons do not.  It also depends on the systems an addon has and how they care coded and it could also be which version of the C++ Redistributables they use.  The list is not infinite, but there could be may potential reasons.

Usually CTDs such as you describe are based on terrain or mesh and then it's likely because such settings are too high.  If you have elevated these settings you could try to go back to default settings and see if you still get a CTD.  It could also be NavData as Otto suggested, especially if related to a certain location it could be how the NavData for the waypoint affects the FMGS coding (could be caused by either, we've seen it both ways over the years).  Sometimes this causes something called a Divide by Zero or summation that results in an Infinite Line (not one which is displayed, though that could also happen).

One thing, it' would be very helpful to see the Event Log for this. If you struggle with using the Event Viewer (and you would be far from the first person who did) then you can download and use a really great little freeware application called AppCrashView.

I hope this is helpful.  You are in great hands with Otto.

Best wishes.

Hi Dave, Hi Otto,

Indeed you were right, Dave, I'm in good hands with Otto.

You both pointed to nav data and since it was the easiest part to investigate, I did try this first. Therefore I reverted back to an old version of the nav data for the bus and so far I haven't encountered the CTD again at that specific location 3 nm to AGGLA waypoint... So maybe it was just a corrupted/damaged/wrongly coded nav data set.

For the record, and to answer your questions :

- my computer specs: i7-9700k, 16 Go RAM, GTX 1660 (so pretty poweful)

- no recent change in any settings (mesh and density at highest)

- Orbx base + vector + NorthCal + SoCal

- FB KPHX

- Active Sky P3D4 (injecting real live weather in the sim, but not directly linking to the bus)

- Flight plan : KBHL (started from Blythe instead of Burbank to be closer to the AGGLA waypoint) BHL HYDRR1 (trans BHL)  to land in KPHX ILS25L

- Nav data I was using : 2001

You've both been helpful as always.

Cheers

Archived