"String was not recognized as a valid DateTime" error msg

ChuckOman

Hi Peter -

Since I installed the new .62 patch, my SIMstarterNG P3D won't launch P3D4.5 properly. 

I get a SIMStarter error box "String was not recognized as a valid DateTime".

P3D fails to launch,  but SIMstarter and my RunSet items (ASP4, TrackIR) remain running.

I think I recall your last fix involved changes Date and Time functions.

I''ve tried launching directly to the P3D scenario manager with "Use different situation settings" checked off. 

Also tried launching my stock default scenario with different date and time, without success.

However P3D4.5 launches OK when I do it directly without SIMstarter.

What can you suggest I try to get my SIMstarter back in action ?

Do you need a support package ?

Chuck O

Hi Peter -

My SIMstarterNG P3D can launch P3D5 ok.  The problem is that it won't launch my P3D4.5 profile.

I had migrated from SIMstarterNG to SIMstarterNG P3D about ten days ago, and all seemed to be working ok.

This problem appeared after the update of SIMstarterNG P3D to v  .62 earlier this week.

A Debug Pack .zip is attached.

One thing I have just noticed is that SIMstarterNG P3D4.5 Program Settings Path to the Backupfolder is set for my old P3DNG installation.

I don't recall ever setting it.  Didn't even notice the path till I was looking around last night.  When I installed the old NG P3D version I moved the C:\aerosoft\SIMstarter NG\data folder over and uninstalled SIMstarterNG per instructions, but I see the old data folder didn't get deleted during the uninstall.  So perhaps I've inadvertently been backing up in the wrong folder.  But does it explan why my P3D launch problem appeared only after the .62 update? 

I don't think there is any important backup history or logs in my old NG installation, and I know all my P3D4.5 settings.  If you think the backup path is the cause of my problems, there a simple way I can uninstall my P3D4.5 SIMStarterNG P3D installation while preserving my P3D5 installation, and start fresh ?  Is it as simple as just deleting C:\aerosoft\SIMstarter NG P3D\data\userprofiles\P3Dv4 ?  Or should I save out C:\aerosoft\SIMstarter NG P3D\data\userprofiles\P3Dv5, uninstall, reinstall and then copy back C:\aerosoft\SIMstarter NG P3D\data\userprofiles\P3Dv5

Chuck

20200618-09h29m17_SIMstarterNG_DebugPackage.zip

• Developer

HI Chuck,

thanks for sending the DebugPack. Yes, the easiest way is to delete all folders (or move them aside) in

C:\aerosoft\SIMstarter NG P3D\data\userprofiles\P3Dv5\simCfgBackup

as there are older backups from SIMstarter NG which SIMstarter NG P3D get's errors. You can see this in the logfile by searching "6/18/2020 9:05:34 AM FAIL".

These folders are already removed in the DebugBackup so I cannot reproduce this. 🙂

Thanks.

Assume you meant to say C:\aerosoft\SIMstarter NG P3D\data\userprofiles\P3Dv4\simCfgBackup.

Anyway, I'm back in business.  I use a fairly capable (4.9 GHz 9700K/2080Ti) system so I hadn't needed to make a big investment in customized runsets optimized for different kinds of flying.  So I decided for the "nuclear" option, and was pleased to discover that if I simply deleted C:\aerosoft\SIMstarter NG P3D\data\userprofiles\P3Dv4, SIMstarterNG P3D replaced the folder a new default one and could start over.  Only took a few minutes to customize the P3D4 profile, create a runset, and configure and run the Backup manager .

Next time you do a Manual revision, might be worth mentioning that if all else fails, and the user can accept losing previous backups and profiles, this nuclear option works and will get things working again.

Many thanks, and stay well !

Chuck

Archived