How to create SwitchSet for files previously set to .off?

ChuckOman

Hi Peter -

Have been enjoying all the new features in SIMstarter NG P3D.  Watched the video tutorial on how to use Fileswitcher.  Then today went to use it after Orbx rolled out a new update to Southern California Region and replaced all the .bgls that I'd changed to .off last year for compatibility with other addon scenery on top.

Decided I wanted to make a SwitchSet for all these.  I was able to find all the files that needed switching just by searching *.bgl.off.  I could switch them to .bgl  or .offSIMstarterNG of course.  The log would show the switch I'd just made. 

But to make a new SwitchSet I needed,  I needed the log to show a .bgl to ..bgl.offSIMstarterNG transformation for these same files.  Couldn't think of any way to make the logging window look like this, other than switching the files back to .bgl, and essentially repeating the process of a year ago, tediously searching for each of them again one by one to build  a new switch list, then switching them to .offSIMstarterNG, so I'd have a log showing the transformation I need to make the new SwitchSet.  Is there any way to avoid this tedious step?  Has anyone else noted this problem ?

Just wish there was a button that would take checked filenames (without extensions) from the fileswitcher search window, and directly SwitchSet that transformed .bgl files of the same name to .bgl.offSIMstarterNG files directly...

Regards

Chuck O

• Developer

Hi Chuck O,

you can use "Add from Logging" to create a SwitchSet from a "switch" that has already been happened. This should solve your request and it's the usual way all of us are creating SwitchSets.

Please login to display this image.

8 hours ago, Capt. PERO said:

Hi Chuck O,

you can use "Add from Logging" to create a SwitchSet from a "switch" that has already been happened. This should solve your request and it's the usual way all of us are creating SwitchSets.

I had tried "Add from Logging" to create my SwitchSet - it is the method you showed in your recent video tutorial.  But I was trying to build a SwitchSet for files that had previously been labelled .off.  Easy to find them using Search, but the logging file then showed "filename.bgl.off" in the source column.  To build a SwitchSet, I needed a log file that showed "filename.bgl" in the source side, and "filename.bgl.offSIMstarterNG" or "filename.bgl.off" in the destination.  Couldn't think of an easy way to do that other than searching for the dozen or more incompatible Orbx SCA files currently named.off, switching them to .bgl with search and switch, and then searching for each of the Orbx SCA files again one at a time.  Frustrating since the search gave me a list of the .off files I wanted to change, but if I switched them to .bgl, the list disappeared and what showed in the Logging window showed a transformation  (filename.off to filename.bgl) that was the opposite of what I wanted my SwitchSet to do.  Can you think of any way around this ?

I suppose the lesson I learned is that - for now at least -  Fileswitcher switchsets can only be created if you previously made the transformation from .bgl to .bgl.offSIMstarterNG using Fileswitcher, so the record of the transformation is available in the Fileswitcher logging window.   For those of us who have already built big scenery sets with dozens of files already labelled .off prior to the advent of Fileswitcher,  apparently the only way to create a switchset is to set all the .off files back to .bgl and do the entire .bgl to .off process over again, one file at a time.  Sure would be nice if there was a workaround in some future release.

Regards

Chuck

• Developer

Hi Chuck,

that is a good point. I think on it and take it to the "Feature Wishlist". Happy landings.

Whould it help to have something like "Add from searching" > New Dialog which allows to search files like first tab > add them to the File SwitchSet?

Yes, that would be a straightforward way to deal with the issue.  I'm sure you have a long wishlist and other bugs to squash in the new release.  Hope you can get it in someday...

Chuck

Archived