Autopilot disconnect

Hi hope someone here can help me with this.  I have the Saitek Yoke/Throttle/Rudder pedals using P3dv4.5.  When I fly the CRJ 700 the autopilot will not engage.  I set everything up in the FMC and toggle the Yaw damper but still no way to engage the autopilot????

Tired adjusting the settings to low but this seem to only have a temporary effect.  Read some articles about potential noise casing this, but I can fly any other aircraft and the auto pilot works every time.  So my problem is only with the CRJ, so I am wondering is there a way to either disengage the Yoke sensitivity setting via editing the software?  I have heard about using FSUIPC but I have never used this, so would that help at all with my problem.  I just want to be able to fly the CRJ.  I don't think I am am the only person on the planet using the Yoke/Rudder combo so please if you are using the same hardware a little help please.

Are you engaging the autopilot with lots of control input? Generally speaking if you have a bunch of aileron or elevator the A/P won't like that. 

What steps are you taking to engage the autopilot? 

As said above...Go through setting up FMC (flight to and from, altitude, weights,  route...etc).  Set flaps,  lights Set Yaw damper...etc.  Then above 2500 attempt to set autopilot.    You know the usual.    And I  do not have any settings that are extra... just da basics Man.

I have flown real aircraft so I think I still know how to do this...:)      And again  I have many other aircraft and they all work fine with Autopilot...it's just this one I have the problem with ( CRJ Professional)

I'm aware of those steps, but you're saying the controller sensitivity adjustment makes it work temporarily. 

Elevator trim inputs or control inputs could be the culprit, both kick the autopilot off.

When it clicks off, do you hear the cavalry horn? If you do, and haven't clicked/touched/done anything, it could be because the sim detected a control input. Try making the Null Zone a little larger on rudder/aileron/elevator and see if that helps.

FSUIPC would certainly assist with something like that, although I don't know if the free version would be enough (I recommend it anyways. There's a reason is a perennial top seller on all the online stores)

Let us know!

Hi, so the temporary fix only lasted about one or two flights ( using the minimal setting).  Now when I engage the autopilot it immediately sounds the alarm and even when I try to disengage by toggling the autopilot off switch it does not work and I have to hit the "Z" key in order for the alarm to stop.  I will try to lesson the Null on the yoke, but I think it is a sensitivity issue with the planes software.   As again I can fly the 737, and the King Air, and the Phenom, etc with no issues with autopilot.

• Developer

Did you try to change the autopilot disconnect sensitivity setting in the EFB (or DAVE if you have the old CRJ 700/900X)?

If you have a Thrustmaster HOTAS, T16000M or some other device with hall sensors,  use high. And normal joystick or yoke will work with high or med, if properly calibrated. For very cheap joysticks (or a certain brand of very expensive yokes), use low. Those usually use cheap potentiometers and generate a very noisy signal that can actually kick out the autopilot.

Okay it looks like there is some noise issue coming from the Yoke.  Did a test where I dis-connected the USB for the Yoke from my computer in fight and I was able to toggle the autopilot.  So for the moment I have a work around ( albeit not a great one :) ).  So Hans I am working with one of your troubleshooters to perhaps do this via the software.  Will update soon.  Thanks all for you help.     And yes to all the above but I like using the Saitek Yoke/Throttle/Rudder system as it closely resembles  that in real aircraft.

Archived