What Is Going On?

vc10man

Updated to the latest. Used the Fuel Planner to load fuel; had the FPL all showing the legs okay in the left MCDU; wnbt through all the Checklists although I will admit I detest the GSX pushback and would rather use the alternative(not default); took off..............and that's where the problems start.

Despite setting a low initial ALT of 29000ft, followed the flashing above the speed tape to set THR CLB, and then watched aghast, an angle of attack 20 degrees(have never had it more than 10 degrees in any heavies I have flown) as the speed bled despite the A/THR being on auto, to a display of A.Floor now showing with AP1 on auto too, to a ridiculous 140kts; the climb rate going up the scale instead of a nice 1500ft-2000ft per minute. Disengaged AP1, dropped the nose down, picked up speed losing ALT as I expected, but at around 320kts when I re-engaged AP1, back to square one, bleeding speed. Until then, having read all the Checklists threads here, all had seemed well.

Payload and Fuel were through  the Planner and double-checked for no overload via the lower MCDU.

I killed the flight and uninstalled the aircraft.

So, what is causing that angle of attack to be so high that it bleeds thrust?

As it is taking so long to get a response, I have posted this same question, elsewhere. Hopefully, will get a better response than here!!

• Aerosoft

As this is clearly not an issue of the checklist, I have moved your post to more suitable section. It also might explain why you did not get an reply yet.
Also addig a title that actually helps people to understand what the post is about will help.

This is a known problem which I have been able to duplicate a single time.  It is likely due to an temporary errant weather injection.  I have made about 120 flights since I experienced this issue and have been unable to duplicate it, but I did manage to capture it on video when it occurred and it's in our bug database.

Typical Scenario

During a climb, the speed drops to Alpha Floor, and without pilot intervention the A/THR compensates by reaching TOGA LK and as the aircraft approaches the set cruse altitude, with no way to bleed speed, the FMGS commands a high rate of climb (think Pitch Over Speed and the rest of the scenario then makes sense) and will bypass the commanded altitude. The aircraft will usually stabilize somewhere in the neighborhood of FL40-FL42 (depends on aircraft weight) where the engines can then operate at TOGA LOCK and not over speed.  Other than an artificial weather injection (if that's truly what causes it, we're not entirely sure yet), the FMGS and A/THR are pretty much actually working as they should to prevent a departure and damage to the aircraft.

PILOT ACTION:  Same as in real world for when systems don't work as expected.  Change to selected mode and command the aircraft.

After a time (presumably after the aircraft is outside the errant weather station reporting area) the Managed Mode can be resumed.

Those whom I've worked with confirmed that they rarely experience this and those who do usually don't see it a second time unless they are making the same flight and even then they don't always experience it.

This is on our list for further investigation and if we can tie it to an errant weather station (very, very difficult to do) then we'll see what we can do to limit the effect of weather data exceeding certain limits for affecting the aircraft.

Even though we have no confirmed this is errant weather data, those who had this problem did not experience it again using the following ActiveSky settings:

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

As it is taking so long to get a response

What is your expectation for how long it should take to get a response from us (given an adequately titled post placed in the correct section of the forum)?

1. Our normal week response time is 24 to 48 hours, though people often have responses within an hour.  Obviously weekends are not included in that. For issues our staff have not seen before we will often research the matter and/or try to duplicate it before responding. 

2. Our average response time  is roughly 4 hours.

These times will not change.

Best wishes.

It had gone well over 24 hours and in any case,  I got all the answers I wanted elsewhere,  and I have more or less managed to sort things myself.

Take your sweet time, Mr Moderator, as it makes little or no difference to me whether you approve or disapprove whatever!!

Archived