FSMap Frustration

joeporter

Most frustrating program I have yet purchased from Aerosoft. I have spent days, attempt to get maps into this program. Just sell them to us. Who wants to be a digital programmer.

I mean I am very frustrated, takes forever to find importable maps, then picking out longitude and latitudes to get the files to load . . . what a pain.

Patience I tell myself but I can not tell you the hours I have put in on this, there has to be a simpler way to get maps to import . . .

Joe

Hello Joe

There's no need to be frustrated - really. As a starting point, you could try maps which are already calibrated - and free! In the Avsim library you will find a number of US sectionals which are available for you to use. A link is already provided in the Manual. Links are also provided to other sources you can explore.

Import the US maps and use 'em. Once you've done that, you'll find what a great program this is and then go on to calibration.

Bern

• Deputy Sheriffs
In the Avsim library you will find a number of US sectionals which are available for you to use ...... Import the US maps and use 'em.

Yes, there are maps at AVSIM by Matt Fox.

No, you can't use them, they still need to be calibrated. The manual is wrong in this case.

I tried and found out that Matt is using some parameters that don't work in FSMap. :(

Otto

• Aerosoft
Most frustrating program I have yet purchased from Aerosoft. I have spent days, attempt to get maps into this program. Just sell them to us. Who wants to be a digital programmer.

I mean I am very frustrated, takes forever to find importable maps, then picking out longitude and latitudes to get the files to load . . . what a pain.

Patience I tell myself but I can not tell you the hours I have put in on this, there has to be a simpler way to get maps to import . . .

Joe

Sure, all the VFR and approach charts for the US would be about $20.000, the full UK a few thousand, Spain probably more. Shall I send you an invoice?

Seriously, during the beta tests and the usability tests people did not find many problems with calibrating maps. We ask the least possible information and the interface seems to be really simple. Seeing I got 450+ maps imported and I am just the manager of the lot, not a developer or programmer it certainly seem possible to do it.

Could you tell me where you have problems exactly, where things happen that you do not expect or understand?

I mean I am very frustrated, takes forever to find importable maps, then picking out longitude and latitudes to get the files to load . . . what a pain

Sorry my friend, but my experience is pretty different! I had my first two maps included and calibrated within 30 Minutes from scratch! I chose two charts from Norway (ENHV Honningsvag visual approach chart and landing chart), downloaded them from the internet as pdf (following the link printed in the manual), loaded them to Adobe Photoshop (you could also use GIMP, as a free competitor) and saved them "for web" as reduced jpg. These files I loaded into fsmap, created two calibration points (using the lat/long scale at the map boundaries for the coordinates) and defined display hierarchy and map borders. All the work within FSMap did not even take 15 Minutes and i was flying, proof attached.

I' d really like to know what could be done better here? And even if you do not add your own maps: Did you know that just the included ICAO charts would cost you around 200€ in a plain paper version?

Just get yourself a bit familiar with the software,be creative with finding maps and calibration points (e.g. for the landing chart I extracted the calibration points' coordinates from the previously added visual approach chart by just looking them up with the crosshair cursor) and you will be impressed, as I am.

Cheers, Stefan

• Deputy Sheriffs

A small correction to my post above:

If you use the search term from the manual, you'll find only those high res maps that don't work.

Just use "united states pack matt" as search string and you'll find 12 map packages that seem to work. When you only use "matt fox" you'll also find airport chart packages: I'll try them later, at the moment AVSIM's servers are too busy.

Otto

Ok, guys . . patience it is. I finally got the maps to at least save when I set them up. That is defining nav points, borders and center latitude and longitude. I define them under world mapsSLC IFR for example. I use the nav points on VORs and enter the coordinates as posted on the charts.

Now I have a problem with them showing up, i.e., IFR chart in the gauge. It only shows/selects the (for example west 3-2) topological map and I can not get my IFR map (which I used Matt Fox's chart from Avsim) to come up no matter what I do. Can not figure out what I am doing wrong.

Also, I run WideFS and am wondering, do I need FSMap installed on both the server and the client? Right now I have it on both and I notice from the WideFS (install) I can not seem to manage the gauge, can only seem to do that from the server (FS9) install. Anyway, still can not get the new charts to come up when I am at KSLC with the SLC sectional that I used and programmed from Matt.

Any suggestions appreciated. I do like the gauge especially and just want it to work with my maps added.

Thanks

Joe

As far as Matt Fox's charts - I had the same problem - they wouldn't display. Took a while but I noticed that the priority of the imported charts was set to 0 where the priority of the topographic charts was set to 6. Set all the imported to 7 and they now display just fine.

HTH,

Vic

Both priority and upper altitude should be set for each map when importing.

For Sectional Charts I use an altitude of 24500 ft.

Wothan

Ok thanks, I will try setting the altitude. I have used Matt's jpg charts, set everything up and they save fine. I just can't seem to get them to show up on FSMap or on the Gauge in FS.

I have reduced them in resolution and still don't work. I will keep trying and will set the IFR charts to 24500. What priority should I set? It says that it will automatically select this. All I ever get to come up are the topographic maps . .

Anyway . . . patience. I really like the program but would love to get the sectionals to work.

Thanks

Joe

Ok thanks, I will try setting the altitude. I have used Matt's jpg charts, set everything up and they save fine. I just can't seem to get them to show up on FSMap or on the Gauge in FS.

I have reduced them in resolution and still don't work. I will keep trying and will set the IFR charts to 24500. What priority should I set? It says that it will automatically select this. All I ever get to come up are the topographic maps . .

Anyway . . . patience. I really like the program but would love to get the sectionals to work.

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe,

Can you try this for me. Go into FSMap and then Manage Maps, deselect World Maps and save your selection. See what happens when you start your FS again.

I have tried every suggestion here and still the maps are not loading. I am using Matt Fox US_SEC_SALTLAKECITY EAST and have set it up . . . just one question, to work do they have to be Lambert Conical? I use the "none" setting in "Projection" radial . . .

Thanks

Joe

Ok here is my last set up attemp which saved fine but still does not show up either in the viewer or the Gauge. It always load World Maps/West 3-2, no matter if I pick IFR/VFR chart. Maybe a picture can help to point out what I am doing wrong.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thomas is correct.

Also, I have attached a pic of a US Sectional Chart. You select None not Lombert Conical. ALso you need to open the jpg with whichever paint prog you use and check the size (pixels) they need to be 5000 x 5000 pixels or less. Anything over and more times than not they will either fail to load or you may get the out of memory error within the gauge on map changeover?!

Edited ---- Just noticed that you have N40 and N41 in your parallel Lats, for that map I would have had it set for 40 and 44.

Curious question: As maps should not exceed 5000 x 5000 pixel, why then do some of the included ICAO maps easily exceed this? Swiss and Netherlands-South are wider, e.g. Is it it the product which counts (5000 x 5000 = 20 Mio px)?

Cheers, Stefan

Well, that did it. Nice catch, it defaults to East on the longitude. I changed them to west and works fine now.

Also, I have not had to reduce the size of Matt's charts they are around the recommended resolution and seem to work fine now.

Now that I got this one down, I will spend some productive time getting the western US imported.

Thanks Everyone!!!!

Joe

Curious question: As maps should not exceed 5000 x 5000 pixel, why then do some of the included ICAO maps easily exceed this? Swiss and Netherlands-South are wider, e.g. Is it it the product which counts (5000 x 5000 = 20 Mio px)?

Cheers, Stefan

Hi Stefan,

You can import all the US Sectionals etc into FSMap without resizing IF you are just using them in the Main FSMap prog. If you intend to use them in the Gauge also then without a resize 9 x out of 10 you end up with an OOM issue (unless you have a super duper system running FS and FSMap.

• Aerosoft

Hi Stefan,

You can import all the US Sectionals etc into FSMap without resizing IF you are just using them in the Main FSMap prog. If you intend to use them in the Gauge also then without a resize 9 x out of 10 you end up with an OOM issue (unless you have a super duper system running FS and FSMap.

Even on a super duper 4 gb system you can run into these problems if you are on Vista. On XP the problems should be far less obvious.

:roll: To come back to my question:

Is it the 5000px in each dimension which counts, or the 20Mio pixels in total per map?

Cheers, Stefan

@sro

It's the total that counts and also which color depth you use. Memory issues might only come up in the Gauge. Windows does limit processes to 2GB (btw: it is possible to get rid of that by patching the executables and using the Windows boot switch /3GB, but this is only recommended for the more experienced user), so if you have FSX running with the PMDG 747 you might end up with 100mb and less free memory. Thus not enough memory left to load the images. That's why we recommend 5000x5000 for the gauge.

Regards

Thomas