CRJ 700 BOW/DOW

Hi

This might be a bit picky and I may have misunderstood the definitions of BOW/DOW. From research on the internet it would appear that Basic Operating Weight and Dry Operating Weight mean the same thing.  That is is to say they mean: The weight of the aircraft including the crew, all fluids necessary for operating such as engine oil, engine coolant, water, unusable fuel and all operating items and equipment required for flight but excluding usable fuel and the payload.  If this is indeed the case  then why under the Quick Reference Guide - Weight and Balance (2-1-33), do you show the DOW as 44,731lb and then add to this the crew - surely they all already included in the DOW - assuming of course I have the definition correct?  

Thank you

Trevor

BOW vs DOW is not formally defined under regulations. It can vary by operator and country. Typically BOW will include “essential” flight crew (two pilots with a standard weight that again varies by operator), fluids stored in aircraft -mounted reservoirs such as potable waster and toilet flush water, life vests or life rafts, books and operating manuals.

In some cases, DOW is BOW plus “non essential” flight crew (flight attendants), food or other consumables storage that is not permanently mounted to the aircraft. (i.e. beverages in cans or bottles vs. water stored in a tank). The amount of catering in airline ops will depend on passenger load.

It’s not to say that flight attendants are not “essential” (they are required when carrying passengers), but under all circumstances there will always be two pilots, but there may not be flight attendants if the aircraft is flying empty).

Neither BOW nor DOW includes passenger or cargo weight, or fuel.

Some operators simply calculate BOW only. That has been my experience in the corporate part 91 and charter part 135 world. Airlines may be different.

Hello JRB

Thank you for responding to my observation and at least I now have confirmation that there is no formal content definition for DOW and BOW.  What raised the issue in my mind is that CRJ User Manual papers refer to DOW and yet in the FMC it is shown as BOW, with the same figure.  As I said in my previous post, I am probably being a bit picky but the different acronym prompted me to check if there is a difference.

Regards

Trevor

Operationally, in the RJs we fly at work, we only add fuel, cargo and pax into the FMS, crew is counted in the BOW.

Gotta keep in mind that the FMS was designed by Collins, the plane by Bombardier as an after thought to the RJ200 (which was an afterthought of the Challenger), and then Aerosoft comes in trying to reconcile the different pieces for a consumer market. 

Archived