How does Airbus calculate Vapp?

radeon29

as far as i know it should be something like this: 

VAPP = VLS plus 1/3 of the tower headwind component. The value of VAPP is limited so that it is never less than VLS + 5 or more than VLS +15.
As a result, VAPP is increased above its minimum value for runway headwinds above 15 knots. VAPP correction is not increased further for headwinds exceeding 45 knots.

But I miss an example for a complete understanding: if the wind is 16-17 knots we need to set plus 6?

and is this true if we do not use A/T?  if we use A/T then it’s only + 5 for all cases or?

29 minutes ago, radeon29 said:

as far as i know it should be something like this: 

VAPP = VLS plus 1/3 of the tower headwind component. The value of VAPP is limited so that it is never less than VLS + 5 or more than VLS +15.
As a result, VAPP is increased above its minimum value for runway headwinds above 15 knots. VAPP correction is not increased further for headwinds exceeding 45 knots.

But I miss an example for a complete understanding: if the wind is 16-17 knots we need to set plus 6?

and is this true if we do not use A/T?  if we use A/T then it’s only + 5 for all cases or?

If  you're using the A/THR then there is something with the Airbus called Mini Ground Speed (or Ground Speed Mini / GS Mini).  I believe we covered this in the manual.  With GS Mini, you don't perform a "Wind Addative" as you do with a Boeing or really a Non-Airbus aircraft. GS Mini handles this all for you.

If you're flying an approach with a manual throttle (don't... LOL), then I'd have to look up the limites for that and it won't be easy given that Airbus is sold on GS Mini. Before we had GS mini working again in our buses I used a Wind Addative for a comparable Boeing aircrash, ah, aircraft.

5 minutes ago, radeon29 said:

Yes, I read about it, the gs mini looks great( but in any case we use +5).

i.e wind correction is needed only without A/T?

Yes, without the A/TR on you would have to use a Wind Additive.

• Hanse locked this topic

Archived