Altitude Management while flying STAR

Chaps,

An issue i am seeing increasingly on the latest version of the A32X family, is that during managed descent whilst following a STAR, your Airbus always ends up higher than the target altitude to intercept the Glide Slope.

For example, the two most recent ones were, ROSU4D into 23R at EGCC, using UK2000 Manchester Xtreme & TELT1L into 26 at EGGW using UK2000 Luton HD.

Both using NaviGraph Cycle 2005, and on both STARs the aircraft is always 300ft above the required altitude to intercept the GS. Leaving me to take the aircraft out of managed mode.

In comparison, Ive flown ROSU4D in both the PMDG 747 & QW 787 to compare, and it flew them near perfectly, and managed to intercept the GS without me intervening by taking either out of VNAV. 

P3Dv4.5 HF3
NaviGraph Cycle 2005
Airbus pro 1.3.1.0 

11 minutes ago, mopperle said:

And which altitude did you dial in before initiating descent?

The final altitude shown before intercepting.

If it tells me i need to be at 3500ft, ill set 3500ft.

However, if i leave it in managed mode, I don't get the double arrows the show me where I will level off then start descending again with the GS, if i take it out of managed mode, and manually descend to 3500ft It will show me the double arrows where I will level off, then instantly start descending again with the GS.

This is only apparent when using the Bus with the Navigraph data cycles.
if i use your Default data that ships with the bus, all is fine.

• Deputy Sheriffs

And how exactly do you fly from the end of the STAR to the final approach? Post your complete flighplan.

9 minutes ago, mopperle said:

And how exactly do you fly from the end of the STAR to the final approach? Post your complete flighplan.

The latest flight for this to happen on was

ESGG 03 DETN2M DETNA N866 AMRAM L983 CUTEL UP16 NATEB P18 TILNI ROSU4D 23R EGCC

I let the aircraft fly the STAR as it comes up in the FMC, I change the altitude in the MCP to match the altitude constraints of the next waypoint along.

When I set the final approach altitude, the Bus is always 300+ft above what I have set in the MCP. (But the green dot doesn't show I am higher than the vertical/descent profile)

Could this be a compatibility issue between the Bus being developed with the NavDataPro data cycle, and using NaviGraph data cycles?

As when I flew the bus on your default NavDataPro cycle that came with it, I never had such issues.

I've only recently started to update the nav databases in my addons.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The questions is, which approach did you choose? The STAR doesnt lead you to the runway. So you either have to fly vectors given by ATC or you choose the apropriate Approach.

7 minutes ago, mopperle said:

The questions is, which approach did you choose? The STAR doesnt lead you to the runway. So you either have to fly vectors given by ATC or you choose the apropriate Approach.

Please login to display this image.

IRL

After ROSUN you have two choices:

1-) Fly to MCT VOR ( IAF) via R-353 and perform a full approach procedure   , or

2-) Expect VECTORS to intercept LOC 

Fly direct from ROSUN to CF23R it's not an option in this particular approach procedure. 

• Deputy Sheriffs
31 minutes ago, Polo said:

IRL

After ROSUN you have two choices:

1-) Fly to MCT VOR ( IAF) via R-353 and perform a full approach procedure   , or

2-) Expect VECTORS to intercept LOC 

Fly direct from ROSUN to CF23R it's not an option in this particular approach procedure. 

Yes, but even if he use his procedure, the VNAV should bring him to 3500ft at FF23R.

I will fly myself this evening, but I only have NavDataPro.

45 minutes ago, masterhawk said:

Yes, but even if he use his procedure, the VNAV should bring him to 3500ft at FF23R.

I will fly myself this evening, but I only have NavDataPro.

With the default NavDataPro cycle that comes with the Bus pro, I never experienced this issue, Regardless of airport, STAR or approach, It always intercepted the GS.

So I'm not sure if its a NaviGraph issue, or an issue with the Bus in the recent update, but either way, its happened on more than one occasion that the bus never meets the target alt at the final waypoint before intercepting the GS.
TELTU1L Approaches into RWY 26 at EGGW does the same.

My QW787 and PMDG 747 dont seem to have issues.

Out of curiosity,

can you post some screenshots from the ND like I have, of that approach, to compare?

my navigraph subscription ends with cycle 2006. 
I might purchase NavDataPro, but only cycle 2006, as I plan via Simbrief, which I have currently have cycle 2006 unlocked on.

if NavDataPro proves more accurate, I’ll just remove the navigraph cycle and replace with NavDataPro, and continue to plan with simbrief on cycle 2006.

**Update**

So as mentioned, my NaviGraph Sub has ended, so my QW787 and PMDG 747 are both on Navi Cycle 2006, I decided to keep those with the Navi Cycle, as both their FMS's were built around NaviGraph databases.

With that, I decided to buy the NavDataPro single data cycle for the Airbus, as it was built around your own database, to see if it can weed out any issues, so my Bus pro family is now on NavDataPro cycle 2006

I just flew;

LOWS/15 TRAU1X TRAUN L856 KPT L608 KUNOD LIRSU DENUT L610 LAM UN57 WELIN T420 TNT DAYN2A EGCC/23R

And it flew that STAR pretty accurately

I am yet to try the ROSU4D arrival that I was having issues with, but I am waiting on results on a test flight by masterhawk

So that is leaving me wondering, if the issue is this version of the BUS, or the Bus not liking the data provided by NaviGraph.

As seen here, My altitude is on target as per the approach, However, with the NaviGraph data, I would be at 4000ft indicated, but the green dot would not show me as high, it would show me as on target. 

Archived