New Livery Installer - quick & dirty workaround

Yeah so I made a recent post questioning the logic/reasoning of this new livery installer - and (correctly) observing the lack of paints in this format (at the time of writing).

I wrote in that post that it was just as easy to install the paints using the existing method - and that may be true - but maybe not.  If you like this new tool, and you have a stack of paint ready to go, you CAN do this if you prefer:

Find the liveryinstaller.txt file and save it someplace.  Now simply edit this file for the paint you want to use. 

What I did was I took the 'read me' file containing the aircraft.cfg data and pasted it into the liveryinstaller.txt file, at the bottom, not overwriting anything.  Then I used that to edit the existing data and removed the additional part when done.  That's it.  Then just drop it back into the zip file you want to use.  You don't have to unpack and or repack any zip files (this is what I didn't realize before).

Then you are ready to use the new tool, so it's just drag and drop as advertised. 

Really it is nothing more than some quick cut/paste edits.  You could get quite efficient doing this to a handful of paints at one time.

• Developer

This will work just fine. There's a higher risk for errors though, which is the reason behind the auto-packaging function.

The idea behind this was that the person who creates the livery has to add it to his aircraft.cfg anyway, to check if everything is right. He would then use the Livery Installer to create the package. In the end it's less work for him and for the user.

The only problem is currently the lack of repaints available in the correct format. We're working on having that fixed though.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't seem to get the new Aerosoft Livery program to accept my zipped livery files, needless to say, there is no "drag and drop" that the program will recognize and install, I really want to use some of the liveries I've found but can't get the program to work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get the go around, what I don't get is why.  AS made this new livery installer and it doesn't work for the liveries that are available.  So, I'm just doing it the old fashioned way, copy and paste

• Developer
vor 7 Stunden , OWAFounder sagte:

I get the go around, what I don't get is why.  AS made this new livery installer and it doesn't work for the liveries that are available.  So, I'm just doing it the old fashioned way, copy and paste

Because the old liveries are chaos. There's NO structure whatsoever in most of the livery archives and it's absolutely impossible to support them all. Automating the process requires that the repainters follow certain guidelines, which they don't. Don't blame Aerosoft for something that's not their fault.

Archived