Ability to discover and automatically backup add-on.xml files

lucky67

So far so good, indeed an excellent tool I have missed for too much time.

However there is still one thing I can't properly manage: in the backup manager there is an option to include in the backup all registred add-on xml files, "Include all registered add-on.xml files to backup".

Please login to display this image.

My intention is to backup all (and only) my 3rd party sceneries/airports (configured with the add-on.xml method) in one shot and have the backup manager to discover them.

The basic files to be backupped are the 2 standard add-ons.cfg files in the screenshot above, hence I guessed that with only those 2 but enabling the option at the bottom of the dialog then the Backup Manager (simply reading the PATH's written in these cfg files) would have been able to find and backup all xml files realated to all add-ons configured in the 2 cfg files.

At last I found out it does not work that way, only those 2 files seems to be actually added to the backup.

How is it supposed to work and how to to be able to backup all add-ons xml files without having to select them one by? What are the files to be manually selected to get that option working as expected?

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Why not just copy both add-on.cfg files and the Prepar3d Addons folder?

Because add-ons xml files are placed in several folders (mainly in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons and D:\P3D5 Addons but not only there)   and I want to backup the xml files only, I don't want to backup even the scenery content.

Most times with Aerosoft sceneries by default the xml file is stored in the root folder of the scenery, e.g. Gibraltar.

I was expecting that option can detect on its own all add-ons set within those 2 standard cfg files and isolate the xml files (btw, it would be a nice enhancement in next updates).

Actually I can't understand the goal of that option.

However not a dealbreaker for me, really and truly a great utility.

• Developer

@lucky67 first of all - you are right. The checkbox should backup all add-on.xml files that are found based on the add-ons.cfg files in AppData/ProgramData. I will review that.

18 minutes ago, lucky67 said:

Because add-ons xml files are placed in several folders (mainly in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons and D:\P3D5 Addons but not only there)   and I want to backup the xml files only, I don't want to backup even the scenery content.

Most times with Aerosoft sceneries by default the xml file is stored in the root folder of the scenery, e.g. Gibraltar.

I was expecting that option can detect on its own all add-ons set within those 2 standard cfg files and isolate the xml files (btw, it would be a nice enhancement in next updates).

Actually I can't understand the goal of that option.

However not a dealbreaker for me, really and truly a great utility.

Yeah, that's certainly true, I think I mentally blocked it out because I really don't care for the way we handle XML additions (FlyTampa and ImagineSim too by the way). 

• Developer

@lucky67 it's a bug. If you create a BackupSet and assign it to a backupPlan everything works fine. But using "<< CREATE BACKUP >>" Button will ignore the Checkbox. Fixed with next Update.

Archived