Managing speedbrake with autothrust.

Meowfly

I feel like the autothrust logic in combination with speedbrake usage isn’t working as well as it probably should. 

when you’re using the speedbrake to reduce speed with the autothrust in idle, the autothrust system will start increasing thrust too early and too strongly it seems. 

So I often have to do this dance:

1) speedbrakes out

2) reaching my target speed I retract the speedbrakes but the autothrust system has already started increasing the thrust way too much. 
3) by the time the speedbrakes are retracted, I’m way above my target speed again because the autothrust has spooled up so much, that even a fast spool-down can’t avoid me being way above my target speed.

Result: I start the dance again by extending speed brakes again. 

I don’t have this issue in most other planes so I’m wondering if the systems logic can be improved here. Also happy to hear other ideas. 

2 hours ago, flycln said:

I feel like the autothrust logic in combination with speedbrake usage isn’t working as well as it probably should. 

when you’re using the speedbrake to reduce speed with the autothrust in idle, the autothrust system will start increasing thrust too early and too strongly it seems. 

So I often have to do this dance:

1) speedbrakes out

2) reaching my target speed I retract the speedbrakes but the autothrust system has already started increasing the thrust way too much. 
3) by the time the speedbrakes are retracted, I’m way above my target speed again because the autothrust has spooled up so much, that even a fast spool-down can’t avoid me being way above my target speed.

Result: I start the dance again by extending speed brakes again. 

I don’t have this issue in most other planes so I’m wondering if the systems logic can be improved here. Also happy to hear other ideas. 

While I agree it's not dead on accurate, I haven't noticed the situation that  you have.  That may be because I often fly a different variant, I dunno.  Which aircraft in particular are you referring to?  Which Sim, aircraft and engine type (if I had to bet I'd guess it's an IAE)?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Vor 1 Stunde, DaveCT2003 sagte:

While I agree it's not dead on accurate, I haven't noticed the situation that  you have.  That may be because I often fly a different variant, I dunno.  Which aircraft in particular are you referring to?  Which Sim, aircraft and engine type (if I had to bet I'd guess it's an IAE)?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Gah, can’t believe I forgot to mention that important piece of information, haha. 

I have this issue in the A330 which is the only Aerosoft Bus I own. (Great plane by the way!)

It seems to me like the engines start spooling up again before I’ve even fully slowed down to my target speed. And even if I get rid of my speedbrakes then, the engine can’t spool down fast enough to hold the speed. Instead the plane accelerates. 

1 minute ago, flycln said:

Gah, can’t believe I forgot to mention that important piece of information, haha. 

I have this issue in the A330 which is the only Aerosoft Bus I own. (Great plane by the way!)

It seems to me like the engines start spooling up again before I’ve even fully slowed down to my target speed. And even if I get rid of my speedbrakes then, the engine can’t spool down fast enough to hold the speed. Instead the plane accelerates. 

I'll give it a careful check tomorrow and let you know what I see.

What frame rates do you usually get with the A330?

vor 5 Stunden , DaveCT2003 sagte:

Locked at 30 frames and stable. (i9-9900k with a 2080ti)

No issues there. 

On 14.5.2020 at 12:31, masterhawk sagte:

Are you using a speedbrake axis or button? Sometimes it‘s better just to extend 1/4 or 1/2.

I've tried both, yeah. It makes some amount of difference. But I'm curious as to the results of your testing: Wouldn't you agree in its current state the autothrottle makes it a little too hard to do what I've described?

I don't have experience in the real A330, I just noticed it's way more difficult than in, say, the competition A320 or any PMDG Boeing with autothrust. But again: I'm happy to consider other explanations (such as user error). Just trying to help here. because your A330 is honestly shaping up to be a great addon. :) I really enjoy it a lot.

On 14.5.2020 at 04:58, DaveCT2003 sagte:

Hi Dave,

normally at decent the autothrust come in just very short before reaching the "minimum required calculated speed". When at managed decent, the PFD gives you a range of speed to "be at" within the decent. There is a maximum (going above leeds to the message "Extend Speedbrake") a target speed and a minimum speed. Usiing the speedrake above target and below maximum does not have any influence at all on autothrust. Aerosoft A330 is increasing thrust while speedbrakes are on while being above target speed (middle margenta dot on PFD). This should not be the case. 

Autothrust just comes in slightly above "minimum required speed" (lower margenta dot on PFD).

This should be looked at. I have seen this behaviour in a real Lufthansa "full motion sim" in Frankfurt. 😉

Regards Marcus

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

Hi Dave,

normally at decent the autothrust come in just very short before reaching the "minimum required calculated speed". When at managed decent, the PFD gives you a range of speed to "be at" within the decent. There is a maximum (going above leeds to the message "Extend Speedbrake") a target speed and a minimum speed. Usiing the speedrake above target and below maximum does not have any influence at all on autothrust. Aerosoft A330 is increasing thrust while speedbrakes are on while being above target speed (middle margenta dot on PFD). This should not be the case. 

Autothrust just comes in slightly above "minimum required speed" (lower margenta dot on PFD).

This should be looked at. I have seen this behaviour in a real Lufthansa "full motion sim" in Frankfurt. 😉

Regards Marcus

We haven't perfected the Green Dot behavior as of yet, it's still being worked on.

vor 2 Minuten, DaveCT2003 sagte:

We haven't perfected the Green Dot behavior as of yet, it's still being worked on.

Thanks for your feedback Dave! Appreciated! Regards Marcus

Archived