New version coming

Michael2

• Developer

The next version of the DC-8 for P3D v.4.x is complete and will be available soon.  The same will be available for FSX shortly thereafter.

You will find it has an option to use an automated flight engineer.  

To use the automated engineer, you will still have to do everything yourself up to configuring the FE's panel for takeoff.  You will have to remember in particular to set the cruise altitude in the cabin pressure part of the panel. 

Then, shortly after you advance the throttles to begin your takeoff run, the FE will go to work and you will hear a series of clicks from time to time as he works the panel.  All functions are automated -- he will even turn on deicing when needed. 

You will have to tell him, however, when you are beginning your descent and the altitude of the destination airport.   After landing, and taxiing to the gate, you will need to shut down all engines except #3 after which ground power will connect automatically and the FE will select ground power on the panel.  Then #3 can be shut down.  You will also need to set the parking brake at the gate to trigger further FE actions. 

There is also a slight improvement to the altitude hold performance in turbulence at slow speeds. 

Please login to display this image.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic news, thanks Michael. Looking forward to the update. Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but will P3DV5 compatibility be an eventuality?

4 hours ago, znatusch said:

Fantastic news, thanks Michael. Looking forward to the update. Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but will P3DV5 compatibility be an eventuality?

Unfortunately it will not be update, very sad.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/152193-prepar3d-v5-compatibilities-and-updates/

9 hours ago, Pedro Trindade said:

Ah, yes thanks Pedro. I saw that last month and I was hoping that things have changed since then.

I think I'll put off updating to P3DV5 for a little while so I can use MIchael's DC-8 for a bit longer. I'm looking forward to updating to P3DV5 however because of the reported performance improvements and other enhancements like natively supported sloping runways and visual effects.

Mmmh, I just wonder what is the reason for not porting over the DC-8 to P3Dv5. I did a quick test by copying the DC-8 folder from P3Dv4 to P3Dv5 and started her at KSEA. Doesn't seem to be far off to me. May be some small adjustments for lighting and reflections on the gauges are required as for the most aircraft. Even the performance is pretty good. And I don't have a high end system.

Does "not scheduled" mean never or not scheduled so far?

I'm not saying that there are no issues, I think there will be at least some minor ones, however I'm not the DC-8 expert. Just give it a try, but don't tell Aerosoft and, most important, don't expect any support!!!

Hi Michael,

I noticed that my Aerosoft Updater indicated that version 3.0 (including the automated FE) was available for download today.  I installed the update via the AS Updater, but when I loaded the plane into P3Dv4, my DC-8 Services pop-up had no "Auto Flight Engineer" or destination/descent boxes visible, as displayed in your screenshot in your initial post in this thread.  It appeared the same as the previous 2.0 version.  I logged into my Aerosoft account and noticed that the version available for full download is still indicated as 2.0.0.0 as well.

Is this perhaps a bug, or am I doing something wrong?  Thanks for any assistance.

Same here. Just the standard service pop up. AS updater reports v 3.0.0.0.

However, download is still v 2.0.0.0, modified on 27.12.2018.

Strange.

EDIT:

I just re-downloaded and reinstalled the DC8. AS Updater now shows v2.0.0.0 installed and v3.0.0.0 available. But there is no v3.0.0.0 for download. Seems they have withdrawn the faulty v3.0.0.0 version.

• Developer

Sorry guys, there were a couple of files missing from the update.  They have been sent to Aerosoft just now and should be available soon.  We'll announce it here when it's ready. 

As for P3D v.5, as far as I could see it works, but to me there are significant issues with how it looks.  The textures are rendered with very high contrast.  For the aircraft to look as intended, I would have to redo the aircraft with PBR materials and I just don't think the amount of work is justified when I consider the number of units sold.  So the product will remain a v.4.5 product.

Hi Michael,

thank you for clarification. I understand your disappointment. This is really bad news. At some point in the P3Dv5.x lifetime I expect it to stop working.

At the moment I have P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5 installed. But in a few months, I will remove my P3Dv4.5 installation because most of the relevant add-ons will be available in P3Dv5 and it doesn't make any sense to me to run two versions of the same simulator in parallel. It costs a lot of disc space and is confusing.

Another classic one that get lost. As a customer I'm disappointed as well. There seems to be no room for any other than mainstream planes like Axxx/Bxxx.

So my investment is lost. This will make all DC8 customers think about twice before buying another plane beside mainstream. This is a great loss for the community and variety. I feel a bit like being kicked ass. Thank you for your money!

I'm not responsible for a low number of units being sold. I bought my license, that is all I can do.

What about a payed update? Did you think about that?

• Developer

Rainero,

I can understand that you're disappointed.  I'm sure it's a difficult choice for everyone whether to move on to P3D v.5 or not.  Some products are going to be going to left behind in going to v.4.5, not just the DC8.  

I did consider a paid update, but in my opinion it wouldn't make sense.  As everyone knows, a new Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming and I don't see much future for P3D addons when it arrives.   I could be wrong, but that is what I think will happen. Hopefully the new sim will greatly expand the customer base for flight sim products generally.  To make even a paid update for P3D I believe I'd be making a low rate of return on my work even lower.

I think it makes more sense to develop for the new sim which will hopefully provide a stable platform without constant breaks in compatibility, and many more users.  For the time being I'm still going to stick with steam gauge airliners -- a decision that will probably benefit those who like those products a lot more than it will me. 

Meant to say "in going to v.5".  There doesn't seem to be any way to edit my posts.

Hi Michael,

I don't see all simmers moving to MS Flight Simulator. It is more like a game, with a lot of eye candy. Being an alpha tester I'm very skeptical that it will ever become the major platform for the serious simmer. It's okay for the casual simmer and Xbox users. I understand that the publishers and most of the developers dream is to have only one simulator to support, but this will not happen.

I have spend thousand of € for add-ons and I'm not planing to through it away. If MS FS evolves to a serious platform and there is an affordable upgrade path, maybe I will consider to buy it.

It strongly depends on the publishers and developers upgrade (price) policy.

Time will tell.

It is a sad story. I am a simmer since 1997, Those were the days, but the sim has gone trough a fast  evelopment thrue the yaers.

Sadly to say that all historical aircrafts seems to die out even in the simworld. I have worked as a airport traficassistant and dispathcer  since 1974 and seen and worked with most of variants of DC,MD,Boeing and later on Airbus.

I was glad when Captainsim create the B707 and B727, but they seems to got lost in the hangar. My favorite Dreamfleet 727, DC9,DC8 and now MD80. The only that have survive up to now is the DC8 and MD80.

Now it seems that the DC8 is going up to the hangar too.

Too sad.

By the way, what about the automatic FE for the DC8???. Has he got permitted from his job????

With Very Best Regards

Bjorn

• Developer
20 minutes ago, sk945 said:

By the way, what about the automatic FE for the DC8???. Has he got permitted from his job????

He's certified and ready to go.  The installer (for P3D) is tested and I expect it will be available for download soon, but given the time zones and weekend, not today.  This update will be a re-install rather than through the updater.  So you will need to back up your liveries and aircraft.cfg file. 

Good news Michael, looks that the workers at the hangar have to wait another time for DC8.

Try to keep it alive and make it as a payware, everything cost today and also begin to be very expensive.

Thanks a lot

Best Regards

Bjorn

On 5.6.2020 at 23:56, sk945 sagte:

Sadly to say that all historical aircrafts seems to die out even in the simworld. [...]

I was glad when Captainsim create the B707 and B727, but they seems to got lost in the hangar. My favorite Dreamfleet 727, DC9,DC8 and now MD80. The only that have survive up to now is the DC8 and MD80. Now it seems that the DC8 is going up to the hangar too. Too sad.

I feel like you. Beside the lost investment, it's a shame that there seem to be no market for these birds beside the mainstream Axxx and Bxxx.

Choosing a historical airliner is definitely not the way to get rich. We desperately need some developers that do not look for fast money, but have the enthusiasm and the heart to develop and maintain these kind of projects, even if there is only a relatively small group of customers.

What a pity.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having issues with the DC-8! The updater was telling me I had a new version, checked the version on my Flight1 Shop tool thing, still 2.0.0.0.  I assume the new version and installer will be put out over the next couple of days to the shops and so on? 
I thought it was some form of registry error on my end, then I wondered why I lost the Autopilot 2D pop up. Hah.

Pity about no V5 compatibility, but It's perfectly fine by me, I own v5 but not alot of addons I use support it yet. But i'm glad to see the DC-8 is getting some new features, as it's a fantastic bird. One of my favourite airliners ever. Just wish I was old enough to have experienced one IRL as a passenger! Steam Gauge airliners all the way, dislike the mainstream sim birds (Axxx/Bxxx) they're just pop in a flight plan roll out and that's it. At least with the DC-8 we get decent simulation and systems, the INS is one of my favourites. Surpasses the old 2D panel Delco CIVA INS that was free for FS9 and X, love it.

Kindest regards,

Kris.

Archived