Questions about my computer setup.

Its been about five years since i upgraded my overall set up. I have a intel(r) core TM i7 -3770k  3.50 GHz.  I am not over clocking. 16 GB ram ,an AMD Radeon RX 580.   750 power supply

i have many addons and i am running three moniters. I am only getting 17-21 FPS with this setup. im using P3Dv4.5. My question is i saw Patrick state he uses windows on one drivefor general stuff  and P3d  on another hard drive.

Everthing for me is on one drive. Its a SSD i also have a second hard drive  Western Digital 5000HHTZ i just use it for back up. I want to upgrade, my system but, if i am putting a burden on my CPU and GPU withall those 

addons i will be back with the same problem. can up advice. Thank you. Bob S

After much thought i want a PC i will be happy with for the next 5 years. Is the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X ,the ASUS crosshair VIII hero wifi,  X570 mother board PCI 4.0 NVM SSD  ,  Radeon RX 5700XT GPU the right set up? 

Its a big jump , i have many addons , im not sure about the SSD and im not sure if i should go to P3Dv5 , i have the 4.5 for now , i miss many sceneries from V.2 . i also am running three moniters.

That sounds like a very reasonable setup, however I'm missing one thing: RAM. Not quite unimportant.

The motherboard you chose supports up to 128 GB DDR4 RAM, however you won't need that much. Still, in order to match the rest of your system I would go for at least 32 GB of RAM. 16 GB would be too little, it would drag the rest of the system down. The CPU you picked has a DDR4-3200 memory specification, so that RAM speed would be the best.

About the SSD, this motherboard supports two M.2 SSD's, which are faster than old-fashioned SATA SSD's. I would definitely recommend that. How big they are is up to you to decide, but don't pick too small SSD's. You don't want to be short of disk space on either drive.

Thank you for your reply, i have 16 GB of ram.  I will look into the M2 SSDs . Another question. Do you uncheck the addons in P3D that you are not flying to at the time. i have about 18 to 20 addons plus Active sky and  a Traffic addon. Im only getting 17 -23 average FPS .

I opened my computer case . The mother board must be to old to receive a M2 SSD. I like your recommendations about the  M2  SSD . 

I am thinking about upgrading the motherboard to ASUS Crosshair VIII and the Ryzen 9 3900X , leave my GPU and buy a new M2 SSD. Should i leave the Samsun SSD 860 EVO 1TB as the primary

and run P3D on the new M2 SSD ? 

No, I don't uncheck the add-ons I'm not using. I have everything enabled all the time. That's one of the benefits of using modern sims, everything that isn't near you isn't loaded. Therefor it makes no difference if it's enabled or not, why put effort in it?

That traffic add-on might eat into your fps quite a bit, try disabling AI traffic and see what frames you get then.

About RAM, don't just automatically assume your current RAM will work on your next system. It might not! It's always recommended that when you replace the motherboard, you replace the RAM as well. If your current RAM is too slow for your next CPU, it might drag the whole system down. That is, if it fits at all...

ok thank you , Well after many years with an outdated computer i decided to do a major up grade. i took yor advice about the M2 SSd . But i had to get a new motherboard,  new Ram,  new CPU

some to the products are out of stock for weeks. So This is a component list i ordered. AMD Ryzen 9 3900X the Aorus master sTRX4 . 2 970 EVO M2 500GB SSD and  32GB DDR4. ill keep  my GPU 

which is a Radeon RX 580 and my power supply 750W. I will let you know how this all works out. All the best. 

On 5/17/2020 at 9:51 AM, Bob Savo said:

I will let you know how this all works out. 

Please do let us know.  I'm interested in how the Ryzen 3900X performs.

Hi Guys , i put my new computer together. its the AMD Ryzen 3900X processer, Aorus X570 Master motherboard, 2 m2 SSD 970 EVO 500GB each ,  G skill 32GB ram, Radeaon 580 GPU

well right out of the box ,fresh install of windows 10 pro, no addons or anti virus  no over clocking .my FPS is over 160 plus. WOW  160  plus!!!

Thanks guys for your recommendations .

Here is a update  with  performance addons. my new computer is getting 160 FPS,    P3d 4.5 no addons . It dropped to 40 fps with three moniters , the setup is in P3d  View Group management. 

With addons and planes its about 25 to 32 fps.  Everything appears to run every smooth. I see the RX 5700 gets better performance.  Any thoughts?        Thanks  Bob

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 5:51 PM, Bob Savo said:

ok thank you , Well after many years with an outdated computer i decided to do a major up grade. i took yor advice about the M2 SSd . But i had to get a new motherboard,  new Ram,  new CPU

some to the products are out of stock for weeks. So This is a component list i ordered. AMD Ryzen 9 3900X the Aorus master sTRX4 . 2 970 EVO M2 500GB SSD and  32GB DDR4. ill keep  my GPU 

which is a Radeon RX 580 and my power supply 750W. I will let you know how this all works out. All the best. 

You can't install the 3900X in to ΤRX mobo, is not compatibility. 

• 4 weeks later...

Your correct, you can use the Aorus X570 Master. You can only use the Threadripper with the Aorus Master TRX4 and its price for the Threatripper is north of $1000. 

The AMD Ryzen 9 , 3900X and the Aorus Master X570 work great together. My system runs great, the only thing was i keep my Radeon RX580 Video card , but hear the RX5700 will get you better FPS. 

But i am very happy with my setup.

Archived