Hi guys,

I hope you can help me,

I‘m looking for a new PC, because the current PC is no longer in good order. Can you tell me if These configurations are good for fsx (Fsx should run at a minimum of 30 Fps, I have some addons like for example: Aerosoft a318/a319/a320/a321,  feelthere emb175 and emb 195,  Frankfurt Airport, Stuttgart Airport, Zurich Airport, Heraklion Airport). I already have a PC in mind ( AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | 6x3.40GHz | 240 GB SSD, GTX 1650 4 GB) is that enough?

PS. I am quite frugal and I‘m just playing fsx, that‘s all. I hope you can help me, I would be very grateful to you.

thanks

I would say no to that system. 

I mean no disrespect, and may I be blunt and direct and give you advice from someone who has been in the fligh tsim world for 40 years?

Unless you are at an age or have a medical condition which will see you leave us in the next 3 years or you someone who is stubborn as can be, there is a 98% chance that you will be leaving FSX behind sometime in the next 3 years.  Your choices will be Microsoft Flight Simulation (which in my opinion won't be ready for serious flight simming with serious third party addons for at least another 2 years from now, Prepar3d Version 5+, or Xplane Version 12 (by then).  These flight sims will offer technology that is leaps and bounds over what FSX offers, and you will be both very unhappy with FSX and green with envy over what the other three flight sims offer.

Microsoft recently released the system specification requirements (both AMD and Intel) for the coming MSFS and regardless of which sim you think you'll end up with I would go with the "IDEAL SPEC" or at the very least the "Recommended SPEC".  But if you go with the Recommended Spec then you may find yourself buying or building a new system 3 or 4 years later. 

Seven years ago I built a new system, and I'm not only still running on it, I will be able to use any of the newer sims for the next year or so simply because I took the advice that I'm now giving you.  In fact, I may will not need to build a new system for another 2 or 3 years.  That's a huge cost savings.

Here is a link to the MSFS requirements:

You will also want to ensure you have a very good power supply and I'd go with a 850W given what graphic cards may require in the future (better to have more wattage available than be at or close to the limit. besides the price difference isn't that great between a 650W and 850W is not that much.

You'll always want at least one Solid State Drive (SSDs) and a 7200 RPM hard drive, but I'd urge you to go with two SSDs.

So, say your money until you get get a system that matches the specifications that Microsoft recomends.  Anything else may well cost you more money in the future.  You'll be doing yourself a huge favor.

I've leave you with my advice, and my very best wishes.

and... please, don't double post simply because someone didn't answer your post within a hour so or of you posting it.  We frown on that here.

I agree with Dave here and would buy something else. That PC might be sufficient for what you got in mind, but it's not future-proof.

At some point in the future you will want to switch to a newer sim, FSX is already on it's last legs. Soon it won't be supported anymore. When buying a new computer you shouldn't only look at what you need it for now, you should look at what you will need it for in the future. Otherwise you got a problem when the time comes to switch to a newer sim, you'd have to buy a new computer all over again in a few years. That would be a waste of the one you're buying now. Instead it's better to spend a little more money so you won't have to buy a new computer when the time comes to upgrade.

Looking at the specifications you picked I see a number of potential problems. First of all the SSD, which is too small. If I were you I'd pick two larger SSD's, one for Windows and the rest of your programs and one for your sim. And that SSD for your sim should better be big, looking at my own system I already got nearly 500 GB in use for P3D alone (that includes FS Global Ultimate NG). And there are still some things left to be installed. Luckily I got 750 GB available, so I won't be short for a while. And that's not counting my SSD with Windows on it.

Also you didn't mention anything about RAM. While FSX is limited at 8 GB due to it being 32-bits, this doesn't apply to the newer 64-bits sims such as P3D v4/v5 and X-Plane. For those sims, 16 GB is just about sufficient at the moment however to be future-proof I would recommend 32 GB.

The CPU and GPU you picked would be classified as mediocre. Sufficient at the moment, but not future-proof. Invest a little bit more and your computer will last so much longer, it's just the difference between being able to run add-ons that will come out in the future and not being able to run them.

Last but not least, I would definitely recommend you to leave FSX behind and upgrade to a newer sim. All of the add-ons you mentioned are available for P3D v4. From my personal experience I can say P3D v4 runs faster and more smooth than FSX. A few years ago I made that upgrade myself and I never felt sorry about it. Nowadays FSX is nothing but a memory, I wouldn't want to switch back. The fact that P3D is 64-bits makes a world of difference, the rather frequent OOMs in FSX because I was pushing the limits haven't ever occurred in P3D, and I'm pushing that harder than I was pushing FSX.

First of all, many thanks for your feedback. I will definitely take them into account. I really appreciate what you advise me to do. But I don't know if I need the PC as long because i'm 17 years old, i come from austria and i'm going to a very good school and will try to get into a flight academy next year, i'm not making any money right now so i can't afford a really good pc and this pc shouldn't be good fs2020 either can master, but only fsx with my addons. In 4 years at the latest I will make money myself and earn my own money and only then buy an eternal PC / build it myself. my question is whether this configuration for FSX with my addons works for at least 3 years?
 Thank you for your feedback 

3 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

You'll always want at least one Solid State Drive (SSDs) and a 7200 RPM hard drive, but I'd urge you to go with two SSDs.

Can you please tell, in short, why you advice at least two drives...

Just to be clear; i like the idea with more harddrives but curius why you recommend it so strongly.

20 minutes ago, Hjontemyra said:

Can you please tell, in short, why you advice at least two drives...

Just to be clear; i like the idea with more harddrives but curius why you recommend it so strongly.

Quite a few possible reasons.  Imaging, regular backups, depending on the future sim one having scenery, sim and operating system on different drives to increase internal (bus) data transfer, etc - which helps in the future proofing.  For instance, back 7 (almost 8 years ago I think) when I built my current system I had a few different hard drives but the primary "C" drive had all the flight sim stuff on it and that was fine for FSX at the time.  Then with P3D I eventually added an SSD (which went a long way with my system keeping up with demand) and later I added a second SDD which I placed all my addons on and that future increased performance with the sim running.  My other hard drives are still there, but for other data, image of my two SSDs and other backups.

44 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Quite a few possible reasons.  Imaging, regular backups, depending on the future sim one having scenery, sim and operating system on different drives to increase internal (bus) data transfer, etc - which helps in the future proofing.  For instance, back 7 (almost 8 years ago I think) when I built my current system I had a few different hard drives but the primary "C" drive had all the flight sim stuff on it and that was fine for FSX at the time.  Then with P3D I eventually added an SSD (which went a long way with my system keeping up with demand) and later I added a second SDD which I placed all my addons on and that future increased performance with the sim running.  My other hard drives are still there, but for other data, image of my two SSDs and other backups.

Thank you for answer.

An additional question; do you recommend P3D/FS2020 on system-drive (in a proper folder) or on additional drive

18 hours ago, Hjontemyra said:

do you recommend P3D/FS2020 on system-drive (in a proper folder) or on additional drive

I recommend to install it on an additional drive, however before all make sure the drive which the sim is installed on is an SSD.

In the rare case you got a computer with one SSD and one HDD, it would even be better to install Windows on the HDD so you got the SSD available for your sim. Of course it's best if they're both SSDs, but if that's impossible this is the next best choice.

• Aerosoft

As advocate for the devil... The advise from Microsoft is a bit weird as they put Intel hardware double the price against AMD hardware. 

Now I am very much in the AMD camp at this moment as you just get a lot more FPS per dollar/euro, but the advise is strange.

Hi Patrick, im also looking to upgrade my computer. You run P3d 4.5 on another hard drive??

Its been 5 years since i did a full upgrade.  I currently have a Intel(r) core  i7-3770K  3.50 ghz   16 GB ram and a AMD Radeon 580 Series and a SSD Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

My system runs like garbage. Windows is up to date. i have a back up Hard drive WD5000 HHTZ  that im not really using. Power unit is 750 watts. 

Im have a ton of add ons and my FPS is 18-21 on average.I have everything on one Drive. Im thinking about AMD Ryzen 9, X 570 mother board and getting the RX5700 graphic card.

My question is my power unit ok, and do i clean sweep the SSD and use it as a back up. And get a new SSD. Also You directed P3D to an F: drive on installation? Not the C : drive?

Also i am running three moniters. Thank you .

Archived