Tomcat afterburner effect missing in P3DV5

retnavycpo

I successfully installed the AS Tomcat in P3DV5. All is fine, except there is no visual effect for the afterburner.  Anyone else have this problem,  and if so, a possible solution? Thanks, Pete

Lighting effects were overhauled in P5D, it could be that afterburners were part of that.

I'm guessing that maually tranferring the P4D version over would probably have caused this. Hang tight until the official Tomcat release is made for P3Dv5 and you'll be good to go.

• 1 year later...

While I have not made the jump to V5 yet I was wondering it this might have something to do with / be a fix for the missing afterburner?

Please login to display this image.

"The glaring light could be that the developers of the P3Dv5 have made changes to the particle system. In my projects, all P3Dv4 Effects files for the P3Dv5 have to be revised. There are 2 new values in the "ParticleAttributes" section:

[ParticleAttributes.0]
Color Start=0, 0, 0, 0
Color End=255, 196, 136, 1
Bounce=0.00
X Scale Goal=0.00
Y Scale Goal=0.00
Z Scale Goal=0.00
Falloff Exponent=1.0
Inner Cone Angle=45.00
Outer Cone Angle=180.00
Intensity Day=0.00
Intensity Night=100.00

In addition, the effect is now switched on or off via the "Color End" value: 0 = OFF, 1 = On

So much for my discoveries regarding the changed particle system. Hopefully it will help you a little"

• 1 month later...

Another interesting discussion on missing AB effects this time regarding the Alphasim F-4 revival for P3D with Tacpack. JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D - Page 18 (sim-outhouse.com) the post of interest is by rcbarend on 7/35/21 which states: 

"In P3Dv5.2, switching the reheat effects from the mdl code appears not to work; no clue why (I don't use P3D).
So Mike's trick to use the P3D reheat effect filenames in the Smokesystem section of the aircraft.cfg's probably works.
Or install the FSX Effects folder instead of changing the aircraft.cfg files ; should have the same result."

Looking at the F-14X the burner and many other effects are coded into the model itself and not in the aircraft.cfg file; so perhaps the answer is to go back and add those effects into the aircraft.cfg file... 

• 2 months later...

So I finally made the switch to V5... Good news is the Afterburner effects do seem to work after all... They are just very faint... 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I also finally made the switch as Tacpack updated (only to download the 5.3 HF and break it). Still moving my add-ons over, to include the Tomcat. I was trying to help others with this afterburner issues only to realize now I was going to be dealing with it.

No problem; I am sure there is room for improvement if you have any ideas... The only other V5 issue I encountered so far is the "dark cockpit" issue... The two solutions I have implemented for that are:

P3Dv5 too dark? I found a Solution - The A2A Simulations Community

Two:

Leave EA on but then manually turn off HDR in the prepar3d.cfg file while P3d is not running...

While not a perfect solution; it does work...

Archived