Please stop installing files into OneDrive by default

The latest A320 installer continues the sad tradition to needlessly distribute files into directories located all over the hard drive. The most annoying part of this is the fact that a bunch of files are dropped into the users' OneDrive\Documents folder that definitely do not belong there, and most certainly don't benefit from syncing to other machines. On top of that, those files take more than 500 MB of OneDrive space, and that's just for starters. 

What business do ASUpdater, Livery Installer and ApplicationData (config files) have on my OneDrive? Shouldn't these much rather be put into C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming (or any other more specific, non-syncing directory) instead?

Even going ballistic by changing the default Documents path in the Windows registry doesn't prevent the installer from installing files into OneDrive. I've tried it, it doesn't work.

Could you please clean up your installers and perhaps try to change the installation paths into something more suitable? 

ADDENDUM:

In case you ask how many other directories are needed, here's the complete list

Lockheed Martin PREPAR3D V4.x
    C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\
A320-A321 Professional
    C:\Program Files (x86)\aerosoft\Aerosoft A320-A321 Professional
Aerosoft Updater
    C:\Users\xxxxxx\OneDrive\Dokumente\Aerosoft\ASUpdater
Aerosoft Livery Installer
    C:\Users\xxxxxx\OneDrive\Dokumente\Aerosoft\LiveryInstaller

ApplicationData User (config files):
    C:\Users\xxxxxx\OneDrive\Dokumente

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\PREPAR3D v4\dll.xml
AIRAC cycle:
    NEWER AIRAC cycle found on this system
Windows-Font folder:
    C:\Windows\Fonts\
    Replace fonts
Shortcut folder:
    C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    Using Windows 8 or higher shortcuts/APPS (6.3)

• Deputy Sheriffs

TBH, you are wrong. Installing files to various locations is not only good practice but also mandatory for several reasons that doesnt needed to be discussed here.

The problem is OneDrive and there is nothing the installer can do:

The Installer asks Windows: "Windows, please tell me, where is the document folder of your user Piilot?"

And Windows answers: "Dear Installer, the documents folder is located here....." But this stupid Windows doesnt say that the documents folder is linked to OneDrive.

So only thing we can ask people is not to use OneDrive at all.

@mopperle I fail to see the need for the ASUpdater (or any other AS software for that matter) to reside into the users' OneDrive, or any other "Documents" folder in the first place. It an executable program that has no business being there, and could easily be installed into Program Files or any other non-syncing folder. AS doesn't even give you the option of changing the target directory. The responsibility in 100% on AS, I see (for once) no fault on behalf of Microsoft. 

@Piilot

I had the same issue and it as Otto says it is one drive that is causing the issue, if you have one drive set to backup your Documents directory then it changes your default documents from \user\documents to \onedrive\documents. I turned off this option and reset my default documents folder back to where (I feel) it should be. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived