AP Disconnect During Flight

I'm trying to track down what may be causing the issue, but this also may be a result of my configuration of trying to get the Honeycomb Yoke to control lights via FSUIPC.

Since there's no profile yet for the CRJ, I decided to use FSUIPC to setup macros, assigned to the Honeycomb yoke switches to control various lights. All works fine, but the flights I had after I set these up would disconnect the AP during flight, and I would then not be able to re-connect the AP until I was below 8000ft.

I did assign the right side yoke red button to be the AP disconnect also as a macro, but I hadn't pressed it. I tried 3 different flights, and all have had this same behavior. I'd take off, and climb out, get to cruise all with the AP engaged and functioning normally, until I either make an altitude change or enter the arrival details in the fmc. It's at that point the AP master will disconnect. The individual buttons still light up (HDG, ALT, Speed), but I can't get the AP Master to reconnect until after I get below 8000 ft. 

Is it possible FSUIPC is sending some odd data causing this?

Also, I notice that after setting the FSUIPC axis assignments to the Logitech Throttles (1-Throttle, 2- Spoiler, 3- Flaps), If I'm starting up the engines, and then set flaps to flap 1, the engines move up to full power (the VC throttle controls aren't moving). I have to manually move the Logitech throttle level up slightly to regain control of the engine throttles and bring them back to idle. 

Appreciate any insight into what may be causing the problem. Thanks 

P3D v4.5 HF3

• Developer

Do you fly with real weather and have strong winds? I've read several reports about people who have issues with all kinds of aircraft (A330, PMDG 748 and so on) suddenly losing ground speed and even becoming uncontrollable due to high winds that suddenly jump about 180 degrees back and forth. This would explain the autopilot disconnect.

Regarding FSUIPC I have to apologize. I currently don't use that. Neither in P3D v4.5 nor in v5.0.

Thanks Hans, I'm using ASP3D with real weather. The flights that had this issue didn't have strong winds. At some random point during cruise, the AP would just disconnect. No matter what I do, the only I've found to reconnect is to drop below 8000ft. I don't have this problem in any other aircraft, and even in the CRJ, it's only intermittent, but more often than not. 

I will say I think this only started after I installed and started to use the ASP3D Beta. They've been having issues of their own where the sim would CTD at random points. I'm hoping when a more stable release of ASP3D is out, the AP disconnect problem will stop.

On the positive side, it definitely keeps you alert and tests your skills!

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2020 at 9:18 PM, Hans Hartmann said:

Did you try to reduce the AP Disconnect sensitivity on the EFB Options page?

Thank you for this Hans. I just had an autopilot disconnect using CRJ V1.0.2.0 in P3D V5,  which I assume occurred due to high winds using ASP3D Beta #7. I will try the same flight and reduce the AP Disconnect sensitivity.

• Developer
vor 3 Stunden , Ferno sagte:

CRJ V1.0.2.0 in P3D V5

You mean 2.2.0.0.

1.0.2.0 sounds more like the A330 (although that one got an update to 1.0.2.1 yesterday)

On 7/4/2020 at 8:07 PM, Hans Hartmann said:

You mean 2.2.0.0.

1.0.2.0 sounds more like the A330 (although that one got an update to 1.0.2.1 yesterday)

Yes - thank you for correcting me.

• 5 weeks later...

Wanted to bring up this issue again - I just finished a system hardware rebuild and a full P3d 4.5Hf3 reinstall with all addons.

I'm having this problem again where the CRJ AP disconnects above 20k and will not reconnect at all - when I was previously having this issue, I could reconnect the AP when I went below 10k, now it won't reconnect at all. 

This isn't a sensitivity issue from what I can tell. I was able to fix the problem when this occurred for me months ago by setting the IRSs to ATT. Not sure why when they were set to NAV, the AP always disconnected above 20k. 

Now, after I've done this rebuild, that fix doesn't work for me. Regardless of how the IRSs are set, AP will disconnect every time, above 20k. 

• Developer

There's no difference between IRS NAV and IRS ATT. I just checked that in the code. However, the autopilot will indeed disconnect if the IRS is not aligned. Which alignment settings (EFB options page) do use?

• Developer

Same here. So that's not the reason. Do you have any external software running that interacts with the CRJ? I remember that there was a Virtual FO available at Simmarket, for example.

Don't have any virtual FO (FS2crew), but I am using FSUIPC for a Honeycomb yoke, logitech throttle and rudder pedals. All controls are 'passed through' to p3d standard mappings with the exception of reverse thrust, which is a button map to 'thrust decr' w/continuous repeat, release is set to thrust cut.

Not sure what else to try. I uninstalled/reinstalled the CRJ again. Doesn't matter if I start with cold & dark or turnaround state. I can recreate the issue every flight - AP will disconnect above 20k and will not reconnect for the remainder of the flight. 

What's interesting is the individual AP system do turn on, I just can't engage the master AP. Yoke sensitivity is set to low. Yoke controls are not managed by FSUIPC, just passed through to standard mappings in P3d.

I keep Windows Defender off when P3d is running just in case. 

• Developer

Reinstalling certainly won't fix anything. Does the disconnect always happen at the same altitude or "somewhere above 20k"?

Can you try with "Engines running", just to confirm it happens all the time?

Thanks Hans, I will try

Yes, always around the same altitude. 

If it matters, I also own the Airbus Pro collection and A330 - all those function as intended. 

So now I have a new problem with the CRJ. Unrelated, but maybe not.

When I spawn P3d 4.5 into the sim, I chose the CRJ and an airport and gate. The sim loads, and I'm in the VC. The CRJ is cold & dark (usually it spawns in a turnaround state), none of the switches make any sound, but they move. 

I can't click on Dave - nothing happens. My flight control surfaces don't move any of the controls. 

Very strange. 

I can chose a different plane (default), and all works fine. 

I tried reboot of the system, doesn't help. 

Is it possible there's some windows dependency that's unique to the CRJ that could be corrupt or missing?

I did a restart, loaded a default P3d plane, then loaded the CRJ, same issue. 

just make sure, I'm going to try a reinstall of the CRJ (again) and try once more.

• Developer

I've been thinking about this for days and tried a couple of times as well. But I really can't seem to come up with a possible reason for this. The only thing I can imagine is, that some exterior program and/or hardware device disconnects the autopilot. Right now, I just can't think of any other explanation.

ok, so after a third uninstall/reinstall, AP appears to be functioning normally. I realized after the third install I was also having an issue with Dave. While the AP issue was happening, Dave could not set any vspeeds for takeoff - all speeds were '0'. 

Now since the latest reinstall and AP is working, vspeeds are reading correctly. 

I"m wondering if Windows Defender is somehow causing this issue either during the install or during flight. I'm usually really good about making sure Defender real-time protection is off during any install and when P3d is running, but it has a way of turning itself on randomly. 

I also recall during the last install, there was a Windows redistributible install that launched at the end of the CRJ install. I want to say that didn't happen on the previous installs, but I could be remembering that wrong. 

I'll continue to monitor and report back any changes. 

Appreciate you trying to come up with a solution. 

• Developer

DAVE calculates the V-speeds based on manual data. If you get a 0, it means that the aircraft is outside the flight envelope (factors are weight, altitude and temperature. Can you tell me airport, outside temperature and gross weight, so I can verify the result?

the 0 vspeed was happening on every flight concurrent to the AP disconnect problem, at any airport. My thought is perhaps there was some corruption during install which was causing both issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting back on status:

I reinstalled in my last post and in the first few flights, all is working as expected.

I hadn't used the CRJ in over a week and now just tried a flight and I'm getting the same issue where the aircraft loads into the sim (after spawning using a default p3d plane) cold and dark, but completely unresponsive. Dave doesn't function, the yoke is stuck turned all the way left. I can't apply power or do anything. 

I'm still suspecting that Windows Defender is somehow finding a specific system file for the CRJ and removing it, although I think I have all the p3d folders excluded. unless there's some hidden folder the CRJ is installing system files to, I'm at a loss to what the problem is.

For now, I'm not able to use the CRJ (any type or livery) at all. 

Not sure what to try next

Archived