Manual Land advice a320/321

Hi guys,

I’m having problems manual landing nicely in the a320

I disengage the autopilot at minimums and follow the attitude indicator as best as possible using the stick. (i use the hotas x)

When the voice says retard I slowly ease back the throttle (2 seconds retract roughly) and gently rotate to about 10-15 degrees and hold

It tends to either float over into a long landing, or slam and jump back up.

Im obviously doing something wrong so any advice would be appreciated 

It seems worse in the a321 by the way, I had a couple of ok landings in the a320

Thanks

At 20 ft, the "RETARD" auto call-out reminds the pilot to retard thrust levers. It is a reminder rather than an order. When best adapted, the pilot will rapidly retard all thrust levers: depending on the conditions, the pilot will retard earlier or later. However, the pilot must ensure that all thrust levers are at IDLE detent at the latest at touchdown, to ensure ground spoilers extension at touchdown. A "standard" height to "slowly easy back the throttle" could be, let say 50 ft.

From stabilized conditions, the flare height is about 30 ft and no more than 10° for A319/320 or 7.5° for A321.

55 minutes ago, Alessio75 said:

10-15 degrees seem high to me for flaring. You shouldn't go higher than 5-7.5

Thanks for the info I'm glad I mentioned that

25 minutes ago, Polo said:

At 20 ft, the "RETARD" auto call-out reminds the pilot to retard thrust levers. It is a reminder rather than an order. When best adapted, the pilot will rapidly retard all thrust levers: depending on the conditions, the pilot will retard earlier or later. However, the pilot must ensure that all thrust levers are at IDLE detent at the latest at touchdown, to ensure ground spoilers extension at touchdown. A "standard" height to "slowly easy back the throttle" could be, let say 50 ft.

From stabilized conditions, the flare height is about 30 ft and no more than 10° for A319/320 or 7.5° for A321.

interesting, I will put thrust back to idle earlier then. I think I definitely was flaring too high for the a321 based on those numbers. Does the attitude indicator give you the ideal flare position then? Its a bit of a panic and blur from about 50ft for me lol also it should I pay more attention to the papi lights or the attitude indicator (as in where it tells you to pitch)

During the flare, the pilot should not concentrate on the airspeed, but only on the attitude with external cues. Try to imagine you're trying to make a very low pass, your eyes pointing to the end of the runway. 

Archived