Seychelles with GPS?

I tried to fly a route between FSSB and FSSD via the garmin 430 in my little plane, however it does not have those airports (I assume since you added them?). Is there a way to include the new airports in the GPS database?

thank you

Strange, FSSB and FSSD are the official ICAO codes for Bird and Denis Island, but it seems, that XP doesn't provide any Navdata for these airfields. Even more strange: When I create a flight plan with an external tool and load the flight plan in the default G530, XP complains "invalid departure airport: FSSB", even when the airport is defined in a custom apt.dat. Hmm...

6 hours ago, maps2xplane said:

Strange, FSSB and FSSD are the official ICAO codes for Bird and Denis Island, but it seems, that XP doesn't provide any Navdata for these airfields. Even more strange: When I create a flight plan with an external tool and load the flight plan in the default G530, XP complains "invalid departure airport: FSSB", even when the airport is defined in a custom apt.dat. Hmm...

yep that's exactly what I did. I used LittleNavmap to create a route and tried to load it in the default gps with no luck. I've found other ways around it for now but let me know if you figure out a fix!

vor 2 Stunden , dresoccer4 sagte:

I've found other ways around it for now but let me know if you figure out a fix!

Of course, because I'm very interested in what's the correct way to workaround such gaps in the XP default Navdata-base. Always expected, that a custom apt.dat is enough, because LR states in their developer documentation: "[...] all data about airports and runways is taken from the apt.dat, which has been extended so it can carry information necessary for the avionics [...]".

May I ask, what you do to workaround the issue? (would be also helpful for others, who follow this support-thread). Thanks in advance!

35 minutes ago, maps2xplane said:

Of course, because I'm very interested in what's the correct way to workaround such gaps in the XP default Navdata-base. Always expected, that a custom apt.dat is enough, because LR states in their developer documentation: "[...] all data about airports and runways is taken from the apt.dat, which has been extended so it can carry information necessary for the avionics [...]".

May I ask, what you do to workaround the issue? (would be also helpful for others, who follow this support-thread). Thanks in advance!

oh nothing fancy, just place my way-points close to the airports in my planning software and load the flight plan in the G430. Works just fine for my needs

Please login to display this image.

hmm, but it is a bummer it seems the only airports in the GPS are FSIA and FSPP as far as I can tell. this will make navigation a little more challenging 😛 

• 1 month later...
vor 21 Stunden , dresoccer4 sagte:

g'day. just checking in to see if a solution was ever found for this...how to add the airports to the GPS?

According to Jennifer from Laminar Research on Apr 6, 2017"[...] the GPS and FMS only display airport information that is from the Gateway and included in the default data. If we allowed for all custom sceneries to add or overwrite information for the GPS, chaos and insanity would ensue. For changes to be applied to the data, submit revised scenery to the Gateway [...]"

I just saw, that all missing Seychelles airports were recently submitted to the Scenery Gateway. Therewith I'd expect, that the GPS will recognize the questionable airports with one of the next X-Plane updates. We'll see...

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 11:02 AM, maps2xplane said:

According to Jennifer from Laminar Research on Apr 6, 2017"[...] the GPS and FMS only display airport information that is from the Gateway and included in the default data. If we allowed for all custom sceneries to add or overwrite information for the GPS, chaos and insanity would ensue. For changes to be applied to the data, submit revised scenery to the Gateway [...]"

I just saw, that all missing Seychelles airports were recently submitted to the Scenery Gateway. Therewith I'd expect, that the GPS will recognize the questionable airports with one of the next X-Plane updates. We'll see...

great news! i always update to latest beta version which constantly adds many new submitted airports. i'll keep an eye out for the seychelles to hopefully make an appearance soon

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2020 at 8:02 AM, maps2xplane said:

It seems that X-Plane still hasn't updated the apt.dat to include all the Seychelles airports? I'm having this same issue with the G1000 - most of the airports don't exist in the database. Anyone else found a way to add them?

Thanks,

Brandon

• 4 weeks later...
On 4.10.2020 at 22:03, bburkley sagte:

It seems that X-Plane still hasn't updated the apt.dat to include all the Seychelles airports?

Well, either what Jennifer from LR stated back in 2017 is no longer valid, or the airfields were added to the scenery gateway too late for XP 11.50?! If you like to hack your local nav database, this info may be helpful: https://developer.x-plane.com/article/navdata-in-x-plane-11/

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 3:54 PM, maps2xplane said:

Well, either what Jennifer from LR stated back in 2017 is no longer valid, or the airfields were added to the scenery gateway too late for XP 11.50?! If you like to hack your local nav database, this info may be helpful: https://developer.x-plane.com/article/navdata-in-x-plane-11/

Just wanted to report that I DO have access to the Seychelles airports now through the G1000! It's been a long wait but happy it's working now 

vor 7 Stunden , dresoccer4 sagte:

Just wanted to report that I DO have access to the Seychelles airports now through the G1000! It's been a long wait but happy it's working now 

Great news, thanks for the report. Question: Did that change with the newest XP beta?

42 minutes ago, maps2xplane said:

Great news, thanks for the report. Question: Did that change with the newest XP beta?

Wait I may have spoken too soon. I did a flight from FSDR to FSIA and it worked, but when attempting to fly from FSPP to FSSF it crashed xplane... :( 
So it looks like the smaller fields still aren't able to load in the G1000. Maybe because it's using an old airac cycle? I dunno

On 24.11.2020 at 00:46, dresoccer4 sagte:

So it looks like the smaller fields still aren't able to load in the G1000. Maybe because it's using an old airac cycle?

Ben Supnik writes in the latest posting in the development blog: "[...] We are still fixing bugs in the Gateway airports export; it’s not ready for beta 2, but it should be in the next beta after this one [...].

So there is still hope. If the airports do not appear in the GPS after the airports are updated from the scenery gateway, I will ask LR whether what Jennifer said (see quote earlier in this thread) is still valid.

On 24.11.2020 at 00:46, dresoccer4 sagte:

but when attempting to fly from FSPP to FSSF it crashed xplane

Is that crash reproducible, if yes, how?

• 5 weeks later...
On 6.5.2020 at 22:23, dresoccer4 sagte:

I tried to fly a route between FSSB and FSSD via the garmin 430 [...] however it does not have those airports

Finally, with XP 11.51r1 and the latest Scenery Gateway update, the missing airports are now available in the GPS 🙂

Archived