How can I disable the DCT in flightplans?

Is there a way to disable PFPX from using DCT between direct waypoints? I have the output format listed as FAA but it still appears to be exporting as ICAO.

Which export format ?

The FAA are transitioning to ICAO format, preferred now for international flights and may be used for domestic.

International (ICAO) Flight Plan Filing

Criteria for use

The FAA prefers users to file ICAO format flight plans for all flights. An ICAO format flight plan MUST be used when:

• The flight will enter international airspace, including oceanic airspace controlled by FAA facilities.
  • The flight expects routing or separation based on Performance Based Navigation (PBN), e.g. RNAV 1.
  • The flight will enter RVSM airspace.
  • The flight expects services based on ADS-B.
  •  

Domestic Flight Plan Filing

Criteria for use

Flights that remain wholly within domestic United States airspace, and do not meet any of the criteria above requiring an ICAO format flight plan, may use an FAA domestic format flight plan.

Note: Flight Service Stations planned transition to an ICAO only format for domestic filers has been delayed. When completed, FSS will no longer accept the Domestic or NAS format flight plan. Once an updated timeline is available, it will be published on this site.

2 hours ago, srcooke said:

Which export format ?

The FAA are transitioning to ICAO format, preferred now for international flights and may be used for domestic.

International (ICAO) Flight Plan Filing

Criteria for use

The FAA prefers users to file ICAO format flight plans for all flights. An ICAO format flight plan MUST be used when:

• The flight will enter international airspace, including oceanic airspace controlled by FAA facilities.
  • The flight expects routing or separation based on Performance Based Navigation (PBN), e.g. RNAV 1.
  • The flight will enter RVSM airspace.
  • The flight expects services based on ADS-B.
  •  

Domestic Flight Plan Filing

Criteria for use

Flights that remain wholly within domestic United States airspace, and do not meet any of the criteria above requiring an ICAO format flight plan, may use an FAA domestic format flight plan.

Note: Flight Service Stations planned transition to an ICAO only format for domestic filers has been delayed. When completed, FSS will no longer accept the Domestic or NAS format flight plan. Once an updated timeline is available, it will be published on this site.

Okay so I presume it is normal to have the DCT's in a filed flightplan? For some reason I thought that was a international thing.

3 hours ago, sho69607 said:

Okay so I presume it is normal to have the DCT's in a filed flightplan? For some reason I thought that was a international thing.

As far as I know, direct are used in the US airspace regularly (for US flights).

Instead of WAYPOINT/NAVAID DCT WAYPOINT/NAVAID, it is presented WAYPOINT/NAVAID..WAYPOINT/NAVAID or just WAYPOINT/NAVAID[space]WAYPOINT/NAVAID

Here is an example of UAL2264 flight scheduled on May 7, 2020:

NEWEL J60 HCT VOAXA Q136 RUMPS OAL INYOE DYAMD5

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2264/history/20200507/1710Z/KEWR/KSFO

Yes, it's absolutely normal.

4 hours ago, sho69607 said:

46 minutes ago, Fatman said:

As far as I know, direct are used in the US airspace regularly (for US flights).

Instead of WAYPOINT/NAVAID DCT WAYPOINT/NAVAID, it is presented WAYPOINT/NAVAID..WAYPOINT/NAVAID or just WAYPOINT/NAVAID[space]WAYPOINT/NAVAID

Here is an example of UAL2264 flight scheduled on May 7, 2020:

NEWEL J60 HCT VOAXA Q136 RUMPS OAL INYOE DYAMD5

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2264/history/20200507/1710Z/KEWR/KSFO

Yeah this is what I am talking about. Unless it is the way Flightaware is transcribing it, you don't see DCT anywhere in domestic flightplans. So basically with FAA format it is implied that two waypoints not connected by an airway are direct, whereas ICAO actually states it with "DCT".

So if you want to see .. instead of DCT in the flight plan, go to the Configuration -> Panning / Units, in Route Format -> Output Format

change from ICAO to FAA 

Please login to display this image.

Then you need to find and/or select proper OFP format that is formatted for the FAA direct presentation. I belive that PFPX default has DCT option only (as this is global standard). I would suggest to search US airlines OFP files on the aerosoft forum. Look for UAL, DAL, or SWA. Maybe there is a specific FAA format (for domestic operations).

Please login to display this image.

This will indeed change the displayed format in the OFP but will not change any export, the ATC flightplan remains ICAO.

Very true, but at least OP has OFP in a desired version. :) Having been first introduced to the FAA format some 20 years ago, I prefer the ICAO one.

Archived