Book „You have Control Vol 1“

DiBa

Hello,

i hope you are all well and healthy.

Yesterday I saw an advertisement for the book "You have Control Vol. 1" about the Airbus series. I would like to know if the book is good and worth the money, because some buyers report many mistakes in the book. (Double paragraphs and contradictory information and so on). Can anyone say anything about it?

Thank you very much and best regards
Dirk

Thx for the answer,

No, maybe wrong Link?

On Amazon the book is not available yet, but there are 6 Meanings about the book.

I was hoping that maybe some forum users could confirm or disprove the negative reports about the book.

The link works for me out of Germany and the US.  Amazon is country based, so maybe that's why the link doesn't work for you.

I've never read the book, so I can't help you with a personal recommendation.

Best wishes!

Not sure what your goal is, but if you'd like to learn more about flying the Airbus why not try Connected Flight Deck (sharing the aircraft) with a knowledgeable flight simmer?  Not me, as I'm not a knowledgeable flight simmer... but i'm sure there are one or two around here, and we do have the Aerosoft Flight Sim Community which is centered around Connected Flight Deck and Shared Cockpit.

Best wishes!

Hi Dave,

thank you for the time you spend on my Question and sorry for my terrible english.

At this time i‘m able to fly the Airbuses from one Airport to another and doing an managed ILS-approach, while i‘m spending less time with the sim. I would like to know more abaut other Approaches and how to fly them in the busses. So i thought the book can help even if your connected flight deck thoughts are a good idea.

Best regards, Dave, and stay healthy!

The forum will not be the same if you are not online, so we need you!

Dirk

4 hours ago, DiBa said:

Hi Dave,

thank you for the time you spend on my Question and sorry for my terrible english.

At this time i‘m able to fly the Airbuses from one Airport to another and doing an managed ILS-approach, while i‘m spending less time with the sim. I would like to know more abaut other Approaches and how to fly them in the busses. So i thought the book can help even if your connected flight deck thoughts are a good idea.

Best regards, Dave, and stay healthy!

The forum will not be the same if you are not online, so we need you!

Dirk

Terrible English?  Not that I saw!  You know, flight sim is truly an international hobby and with the primary language of aviation is English the flight simulation world follows that as well.  In my years in this hobby I've worked and shared airliners with people from all over the world, and those whose first language is not English have always apologized to me for how bad their English is... and I ALWAYS tell them their English is GREAT!

I grew up speaking Spanish and English, but over the years I've lost much of my Spanish because I moved out of the area where it was spoken (and my second wife is Latina, so I'm slowly getting my Spanish back... especially the swear words, listening to her complain about me all the time (joking).  Anyway, it's said that English is the most difficult language to learn, and I'm always AMAZED at how well people from non-English speaking countries speak it!  And... it's means they are far more intelligent than I am too.  So, this single language English speaker is truly impressed!  You probably speak English far better than you think my friend!  I know you speak better English than I do German (though I am learning).

Okay, on to the approaches. If you are able to understand English fairly well, then you may want to join the Aerosoft Flight Sim Community where you can learn how to fly different types of approaches two different ways... in our instructor lead classes, and in the aircraft while flying with an experienced Airbus flight simmer!  Both of these methods work together very well.  If you don't have time for the classes or to fly with someone else, then you can use Google to find excellent websites on this subject matter.  Just search for "How to Fly an ILS Approach" or "Understanding ILS (or RNAV, or Visual) Approach".  You see, flight sim at this level is very close to the real thing so there are many, MANY websites out there on aviation and flight simulation which explain things or have documentation.

The world is your oyster my friend!  Do let me know if you're interested in the classes or sharing an aircraft.

My very best wishes to you, and thank you so very much for the complement!

I was about to buy this book some time ago (I own the 737 counterpart) but didn't so after reading reports about numerous errors. The concept of these books seems to be successful indeed, thus, wouldn't it be time for a revised and corrected new edition of the Airbus book? (Count me in as a potential buyer in this case.)

Kind regards, Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

@Dave: 

Sorry for my late reply. I had a lot of fun reading your post. Nicely written, thank you very much! But my English is just not practised school English. All the time I have to look up words and make sure I understand the meaning. All in all from my point of view just too bad. So there are double comprehension problems when learning English topics 🙂 That does not make it easier. But luckily there are guys like you who try with great passion to explain complicated issues to every would-be pilot, no matter how untalented he or she is, like myself! Thank you for that! I simply still have a lot to learn. Maybe you are right and I speak English better than you speak German, but I am far away from speaking or reading fluently. By the way, I don't think that everyone else is more intelligent than you, but as they say: I know that I know nothing!
On the subject: Online teaching is a great thing, but I think it might be too early to think about taking part, leaving aside the time possibility.

@pmb:

Thank you for your post! That is what i heard about too.. So i think it would be nice to have a new, error free, book and in different languages, so that the beginning for a newbe would be much easier... 

@Mathis:

Thanks for your Post and your time too. That sounds good. I am looking forward to the book.

Best Regards to all of you and please stay healthy!

Dirk

5 hours ago, DiBa said:

Hi Guys,

@Dave: 

Sorry for my late reply. I had a lot of fun reading your post. Nicely written, thank you very much! But my English is just not practised school English. All the time I have to look up words and make sure I understand the meaning. All in all from my point of view just too bad. So there are double comprehension problems when learning English topics 🙂 That does not make it easier. But luckily there are guys like you who try with great passion to explain complicated issues to every would-be pilot, no matter how untalented he or she is, like myself! Thank you for that! I simply still have a lot to learn. Maybe you are right and I speak English better than you speak German, but I am far away from speaking or reading fluently. By the way, I don't think that everyone else is more intelligent than you, but as they say: I know that I know nothing!
On the subject: Online teaching is a great thing, but I think it might be too early to think about taking part, leaving aside the time possibility.

@pmb:

Thank you for your post! That is what i heard about too.. So i think it would be nice to have a new, error free, book and in different languages, so that the beginning for a newbe would be much easier... 

@Mathis:

Thanks for your Post and your time too. That sounds good. I am looking forward to the book.

Best Regards to all of you and please stay healthy!

Dirk

Great post! You are quite truly a good man who thinks deeply about things and understands much. Its a pleasure to have here!

So, on A320 flying I can recommend the following: https://www.amazon.com/Airbus-A320-pilot-handbook-techniques/dp/146095551X/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=mike+ray+a320&qid=1589557841&s=books&sr=1-2

Lot of fun and knowledge. There is more by Mike Ray and most of the stuff from this guy is worth money. However - either paper or iPad. On kindle it's waste of money due to book format and overall concept. 

In other words - google Mike Ray A320. Anything from that guy is super useful in flightsimming the A320. There are several great books written by him. I have even seen his books in Crew Outfitters store at CVG, which is a place for real world pilots rather than us ;)

And instead of "You have control" get "I have control": https://www.amazon.com/Have-Control-changing-airliner-technology/dp/1785003976

This one however will not teach you handling of an Airbus but rather will give you broader picture.

Stay healthy,

&

• 1 month later...

Once more on the topic. Is this

https://www.aerosoft.com/de/flugsimulation/buecher/1021/airbus-series-you-have-control-a318/a319/a320/a321-vol.-1?c=727

the revised Edition or still the 2016 version? It mentions revised and extended, but there is no year of publication given.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael 

Archived