A330 - Unable to turn down the cockpit flood lighting ?

garydpoole

Hello

Just purchased the A330 for P3DV4.5 and have a small problem in so far as I seem unable to turn down the intensity of the cockpit flood lighting.

According to this posting, I should be able to adjust the intensity using the the "Flood Lt" knob on the pedestal. However, no matter how much I adjust it, the flood lighting intensity will not reduce !

Any help much appreciated

Regards

Edit: Discovered that the flood lighting stays on max if you also have the Dome lighting set to 'STORM'. Reduce this setting, then the flood light intensity can then be adjusted via the pedestal knob.

Assuming that this is correct , just wondering why this should be ?

• Deputy Sheriffs
13 hours ago, garydpoole said:

Hello

Just purchased the A330 for P3DV4.5 and have a small problem in so far as I seem unable to turn down the intensity of the cockpit flood lighting.

According to this posting, I should be able to adjust the intensity using the the "Flood Lt" knob on the pedestal. However, no matter how much I adjust it, the flood lighting intensity will not reduce !

Any help much appreciated

Regards

Edit: Discovered that the flood lighting stays on max if you also have the Dome lighting set to 'STORM'. Reduce this setting, then the flood light intensity can then be adjusted via the pedestal knob.

Assuming that this is correct , just wondering why this should be ?

Yes the logic is strange, but it is like it is:

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

For transport category aircraft this is pretty common. As the excerpt masterhawk provided where "STORM: Sets the two dome lights, and the main instrument panel lights, to their maximum brightness" (Don't know why it's in small print), this is appropriate for flight near a thunderstorm, especially at night. By the lights full bright, the crew is less likely to be blinded by a lightning flash. Flipping a single switch which can later be repositioned back to normal is easier than adjusting a number of separate controls. The flash effect is a far greater concern than losing your dark adaptation for your eyes, which is of small use anyway in typical night operations in large aircraft working in and out of large airports with bright runway and approach lighting.

Now why it's STORM instead of THUNDERSTORM, I don't know. Maybe because manufacturers don't want the switch label to be too long, which has long been my theory on the label.

Excellent information, guys - many thanks for your informative replies.

While we're on the subject of lighting, I must say that I'm absolutely stunned by the overall quality of the cockpit lighting and texturing inside the A330 - it really is a thing of beauty.

Respect to the guys who developed this superb aircraft.

Regards

Archived