Trent 700 Spool Speed

Flabulous

Hello everyone, hope you're all doing well.

It seems the Trent 700 spools up a bit too quickly from idle while also taking too long to match my thrust setting (not takeoff thrust, just ~50% for engine stabilization). I have attached a video of an A330 Trent 700 cockpit takeoff next to a takeoff I conducted in P3D (all showing the ECAM) to show what I mean. I have made sure the thrust lever movement from idle to ~50% occurs at the same on both sides to ensure a fair comparison.

In the cockpit video, N1 slowly increases when the howl is audible (0:01 - 0:04), then it increases quickly until the target EPR value is reached (0:04 - 0:05), where it stops sharply. In the simulator however, N1 seems to increase a bit faster than what's shown in the real-life footage (0:01 - 0:04), but then it slows down too far away from the target EPR value, making it take quite a while to match the target EPR value (0:04 - 0:08).

I am not sure if the differing weather conditions of the real-life footage compared to the simulator changes the way the engines respond, but it seems like other videos of the real Trent 700 show the same spool behavior. 

This isn't a serious bug or anything, it's just something I thought I would bring to your attention in case it's actually something that needs to be fixed.

Hope it helps :)

Please login to view this video.

Very nice video comparison. I am actually surprised how close it is. We're talking maybe a second in difference, that seems absolutely fine to me. Closer than many other addons, including study level ones!

I know next to nothing about the Trents, but speaking of older jet engines I recall (from memory, so please be understanding) a few things which can affect spool speed are

1. Engine wear (which reduces some different internal pressures of related systems)

2. Barometric Pressure (airport altitude and actual/varying pressure)

3. Temperature

4. Anything else affecting oil temperature (viscosity from age of the oil, etc.)

For these reasons (and I'm sure some that I'm not thinking about) it can be really difficult to compare real world to the sim.

Also, while only 4 items are listed there are more variables which feed those four items I just don't remember them (cause I'm old and getting older... lol). 

I know the above info doesn't affect us in flight sim (not yet anyway), but aircraft in the real world video would most certainly be affected by this.

I hope this helps!

Yeah I'm impressed by how close it is, I don't really mind the difference in timings, just thought I might bring it to your attention. The sound especially is almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Thanks for replying and take care :)

22 minutes ago, Flabulous said:

Yeah I'm impressed by how close it is, I don't really mind the difference in timings, just thought I might bring it to your attention. The sound especially is almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Thanks for replying and take care :)

Always a pleasure!

Also, if we missed welcoming you to the forums.... WELCOME!

Archived