ILS didn't lock on

Hi guys I'm new to the forum so apologies in advance if I do something wrong.

I was landing at Liverpool (not add on) in the A320, I set 2000 into the Alt for a managed descent, to hit the star waypoint at 2000, the next waypoint was the final at about 1430ft. I hit 2000ft a little early about 4.5nm before the star. (Even though it was predicted to be on the star)

Anyway, it was a tight turn into the final approach so I waited until the end of the turn and hit approach. The Localiser and G/S Magenta diamonds were right on the marks but never locked in. 

I left it late because of the approach coming in from behind the runway and a tight turn so I felt the Localiser would mess up if I tried to hit APPR early.

Anyway here is a picture, I landed manually and the plane was staying on the G/S nicely. However I'm fairly sure the ILS was never fully captured as no balls next to G/S and LOC, plus no announcement from Co Pilot except captured (I think)

Hope you can help, thanks, Adam

Please login to display this image.

Welcome to the forums Adam!

May I ask which STAR (Arrival) and Approach you were flying?  I'm not overly familiar with EGGP, but I did a quick check and didn't find any STAR with a waypoint at 2000ft.  In fact, I don't recall ever seeing a STAR with a altitude restriction of 2000ft, that's pretty low for a STAR (maybe in a low desert somewhere).  An altitude restriction of 2000ft is more likely to be found on a Departure or Approach (Approach in your case). 

Each airport (default and addon airports) contain ILS information.  I believe the ILS information for default airports is actually circa 2003 to 2005 so at many default airports it's pretty old.  Now, payware aircraft like our Airbus using real world / updated NAVDATA which contains all sorts of information including Approaches (which contain the ILS frequencies).  If the real world airport in question has a different ILS frequency for a particular runway then the AIRBUS NAVDATA will reflect that, so you end up with a mismatch of frequencies between the default scenery and the aircraft's FMS.  I believe this is what occured in your case.

There are a few different ways to correct this.

1. You can purchase a payware scenery for the airport (best option, and you'll really appreciate it!).

2. You can find an updated AFCAD for the default scenery (check the AVSIM Library).

3. You can edit the default airport's AFCAD by using a freeware tool called Airport Design Editor (ADE) and change the ILS Frequencies for the runways.

I hope this has been helpful!

Best wishes.

5 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Welcome to the forums Adam!

May I ask which STAR (Arrival) and Approach you were flying?  I'm not overly familiar with EGGP, but I did a quick check and didn't find any STAR with a waypoint at 2000ft.  In fact, I don't recall ever seeing a STAR with a altitude restriction of 2000ft, that's pretty low for a STAR (maybe in a low desert somewhere).  An altitude restriction of 2000ft is more likely to be found on a Departure or Approach (Approach in your case). 

Each airport (default and addon airports) contain ILS information.  I believe the ILS information for default airports is actually circa 2003 to 2005 so at many default airports it's pretty old.  Now, payware aircraft like our Airbus using real world / updated NAVDATA which contains all sorts of information including Approaches (which contain the ILS frequencies).  If the real world airport in question has a different ILS frequency for a particular runway then the AIRBUS NAVDATA will reflect that, so you end up with a mismatch of frequencies between the default scenery and the aircraft's FMS.  I believe this is what occured in your case.

There are a few different ways to correct this.

1. You can purchase a payware scenery for the airport (best option, and you'll really appreciate it!).

2. You can find an updated AFCAD for the default scenery (check the AVSIM Library).

3. You can edit the default airport's AFCAD by using a freeware tool called Airport Design Editor (ADE) and change the ILS Frequencies for the runways.

I hope this has been helpful!

Best wishes.

Hi dave, thank you for welcoming me and for the information and also taking the time to look that up. Im relatively new to it all so I may have mis identified it as a star, I will have a look again tomorrow, but I may struggle to remember the exact flight now. I remember the altitude of that waypoint was marked 2000*, which made me choose that as the descent altitude. I do need to look further into waypoints and stars if I am being honest, plus a lot more.

Especially in regard to approach and landing. The feeling of joy even managing to do an auto land in one of these things is incredible for me. But the disappointment can also be equal

As for the information, that sounds like it could be really helpful, what I find tricky is not knowing if its pilot error, fsx error, or aerosoft error. So making sure the information all corresponds would be a big help. 

I will have many more questions like this I am sure

Thanks, plus if theres anything I may have done wrong that you noticed, like choosing 2000ft as a descent target (kind of guess work) please let me know.

Regards, Adam

1 minute ago, Adam Chivers said:

Hi dave, thank you for welcoming me and for the information and also taking the time to look that up. Im relatively new to it all so I may have mis identified it as a star, I will have a look again tomorrow, but I may struggle to remember the exact flight now. I remember the altitude of that waypoint was marked 2000*, which made me choose that as the descent altitude. I do need to look further into waypoints and stars if I am being honest, plus a lot more.

Especially in regard to approach and landing. The feeling of joy even managing to do an auto land in one of these things is incredible for me. But the disappointment can also be equal

As for the information, that sounds like it could be really helpful, what I find tricky is not knowing if its pilot error, fsx error, or aerosoft error. So making sure the information all corresponds would be a big help. 

I will have many more questions like this I am sure

Thanks, plus if theres anything I may have done wrong that you noticed, like choosing 2000ft as a descent target (kind of guess work) please let me know.

Regards, Adam

Adam,

You're very welcome.  If I were in your shoes, I would visit and consider joining the Aerosoft Flight Simulation Community.  We will be holding classes in our online, fully interactive virtual classroom and there are almost always people to share the Airbus with who can teach you a LOT.  It's 10 times faster and 10 times better than learning on your own.  For legal reasons the minimum age is 16.  Be sure to read all the information before logging onto Discord.

Best wishes!

Archived