Ask a CRJ Training Pilot anything

Hey fellow simmers,

Canadian CRJ Training Pilot here (should tell you who I work for!)

I thought I'd open myself up to answer any technical questions I can regarding the aircraft and it's normal behaviour.

I've got me some serious RJ know-how for the real plane, I'm just getting into the sim version, and so far I'm quite impressed.

Hit me with your funkiest questions.

Not quite sure what you mean by this!

Stick shaker is only on a timer for the stall test. Inflight it keeps going until the AOA doesn't suck. It'll keep shaking if you don't do anything. When the stick pusher kicks in, and the AOA drops, the shaker may turn off if the AOA goes back to a normal angle.

Edit: TLDR; my understanding is it'll shake until you get out of bad AOA range or impact terrain, whichever occurs first. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

It was the standard question we asked at our airline when we played the "I know something you do not know" game. The motor that drives the stick shaker mechanism has a time limit before it overheats and it is only printed on the motor unit itself. When you asked for a funky question this one came to mind immediately. 

Here is a pic of where you can find the answer without giving it away. 😉

Please login to display this image.

Ha that's awesome, I'm gonna try that out on the guys at work, my crashpad mates are always looking for new "gotchas" like that. I had asked around when you asked the question and you stumped my colleague who's been a check B pilot since our company got the RJs. 

PM me if you have any more to share, I'd love to hear em! 

41 minutes ago, virtualflying said:

Do you have any videos of you flying the Aerosoft CRJ? I like watching real pilots fly in the sim, and the CRJ is a fun plane to hop around in

Definitely planning on making some to keep me busy during this time of little flying :(

Some stuff you're going probably also happens on the line. Every company flies these things slightly differently :) If you're having fun and insulting you own performance, that's a habit i have as well haha

Excellent thread... here is another question that would be fun (and a fun question to see if modeled in this simulator that honestly does a great job with the synoptics page for the price point).  What causes the Adg (air driven generator) to auto deploy and if deployed, what buses/equipment/systems does it power?   I’m not at my computer to see how the crj handles this but I’m curious myself.    NOTE, I (we) should not have expectation for the as crj simm to model things like this accurately with the likelihood of this coming into play  in the real thing or even level d simm standardized training is almost 0.   It is more of an oral question in rw (unless a really bad day).  

2 hours ago, wwittkoff said:

What causes the Adg (air driven generator) to auto deploy and if deployed, what buses/equipment/systems does it power?   

ADG pops with a total AC failure, I believe as sensed from the essential bus. The essential bus is normally powered by AC bus 1, can autotransfer or be manually switched to AC Bus 2. If nothing is powering either of those busses (and weight is off wheels) the ADG pops, and powers the Essential and ADG bus. 

HYD 3B pump will be powered, as well as slats/flap, and pitch trim though the ADG bus (until 135 knots, then you're on batteries!!)

Essential buses (loosely) power the captain's side kit, lights, and enough redundancy to keep engines and NAV/comms and a few other subsystems. 

A demo of it is required in initial training in the level D sims.

Apart from that, trainers are all human, and usually unintentionally demonstrate the ADG when we forget to reset old failures, and give new failures in the following excercise that combine to pop the ADG. (Though this is more common in the -200s than the -7/9/10s thanks to the auto GEN controllers in the latter aircraft). I've also seen a pilot leave stuff (jacket) that somehow got caught on the manual deploy lever. He pulled his jacket off the centre pedestal and out came the ADG. We laughed. 

I love seeing guys who know I goofed, but say "no no leave it, we got this" for a more challenging training excercise. Some people never realize I goofed. Depending on the candidates, I'll try to just go with it and incorporate it into the session, them being none the wiser. 

Archived