A319 won't follow LOC

B0GI03

So I did a couple of flights with a319 pro and experienced really annoying issue. While I was doing approach to LYBE (my home airport), the plane captured the LOC but when the LOC diamond passes the middle yellow line the plane stars turning at max bank angle to one side then it starts correcting itself and again when the LOC diamond passes the yellow line it starts turning again and can't correct itself. Sometimes it turns away from the airport and makes circles while going further and further away from the airport. Note that this only happens when landing at LYBE and I have the ORBX scenery for it. Also, when landing on other airports it does follow the LOC and G/S but sometimes during approach it quickly turns a bit to the left or right and corrects itself immediately. I have 1.3.0.5 version of the bus. Maybe this issue occurs because I converted the livery from FSX to P3D format.

What you describe is indicative of a low frame rate during approach.  In FSX/P3D, scenery is loaded at certain distances and this occurs several times during an approach phase and it is this scenery loading which can create this issue particularly if your P3D settings are too high for your system.  I can tell you that we have no issues with our Localizer and Glideslope capture or tracking with any of our 8 different Airbus professional aircraft.

I have no idea what your system specifications are, however  you may well need to groom your system to prevent this behavior.  If you'll post your complete systems specifications, which airport (and if it's default or payware) you were on approach to, and screen shots of each page of the P3D Display settings I would be happy to make recommendations.  I would also need to know if you're running any third party shaders.

Incidentally, the same thing will occur when weather loads if your weather engine settings / weather graphics are set too high.

Okay so my specs are:

CPU: Intel core i7-4770k overclocked to 4.2GHz

GPU: nVidia GeForce gtx 1060 6gb

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz

HDD: 1TB

PSU: 775W Thermaltake

Water cooling for CPU

My P3D works with good 30-50fps. For LYBE in particular I have ORBX scenery for City of Belgrade and Belgrade airport, so its add-on scenery and no, I don't have any third party shaders. 

Please login to display this image.

Just another thing to add: I have just done a test flight around LYBE with QualityWings 787 and did the Autoland with no issues, everything went smoothly. So it's not the scenery or the sim, and, again, the framerate was good.

7 hours ago, B0GI03 said:

Okay so my specs are:

CPU: Intel core i7-4770k overclocked to 4.2GHz

GPU: nVidia GeForce gtx 1060 6gb

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz

HDD: 1TB

PSU: 775W Thermaltake

Water cooling for CPU

My P3D works with good 30-50fps. For LYBE in particular I have ORBX scenery for City of Belgrade and Belgrade airport, so its add-on scenery and no, I don't have any third party shaders. 

Thanks so very much for the information!  Very cool... you and I run the same CPU (i7-4770K)!  This particular processor has proved to be fantastic for flight simulation and even though I've considered building a new computer every 6 months or over the past several years I just don't need one due to the incredible performance of the Haswell processor you and I run!

One important difference between our systems is that my CPU is overclocked to 4.5GHz (with a water cooler that has a double radiator) and I have each core locked at 4.5GHz (so they are always humming along at 4.5Ghz).  This is important especially for programs like P3D because the CPU Turbo Mode ramps the CPU speed up and down based on demand however the Turbo Mode lags the demand curve which can cause or contribute to the very issue you described in your initial post.  So instead of simply overclocking your Haswell, I would give some serious consideration to disabling the CPU Turbo Mode and locking your four cores at 4.2GHz instead of using Turbo Mode.  Since you're running a GTX1060 graphics card I would first try a CPU speed of 4.2GHGz (what you're currently running at) and then if your system (including CPU and GPU) proves to be stable over the course of 6 to 10 flights (using payware scenery at medium to large airports) you can then try increasing your CPU speed in small increments. 

CAVEAT:  Whenever changing CPU BIOS setitngs it is imperative that you keep an eye on CPU and motherboard temperatures.  I strongly encourage you to enable both a temperature alarm and an automatical temperature shut down to prevent CPU and/or computer damage and or loss. I'm not sure what the maximum temperatures for the i7-4770K is, but I strongly advise you to get this information via the Intel website.

Other System Grooming Recommendations:

1. Unless you have a very important / confirmed reason to do otherwise, I would set Hyperthreading to OFF on your CPU.

2. With the one exception of ENVShade, I recommend getting rid of any third party shaders and clear your existing P3D Shaders.

3. Unless you have a very important / confirmed reason to do otherwise, I would not use ANY P3D configuration tweaks including Affinity Mask.

4. Use the ActiveSky settings I have provided HERE.  If you run ASCA and/or ENVTEX Weather Textures please let me know and I can provide you with a Configuration file for both products.

5.  It is very important to keep BIOS and motherboard drivers up to date under Windows 7 and Windows 10, but this is ESPECIALLY important for older CPUs and Motherboards most especially since in your (our) case the drivers were not initially designed for Windows 10.  To keep everything up to date I use Advanced System Care and I've been very, VERY pleased with  it.

6. Regarding your P3D Display Settings:

a. Options - Display Section:  Try setting your Texture Resolution to 2048x2048.  Unless  you're running a 4K to 8K monitor, it's very difficult to tell the difference between  2048x2048 and 4096x4096 and of course most of the payware scenery and aircraft / Virtual Cockpit textures available are not at 4096x4096.  Even so, your system will still process (or attempt to) such textures and that can eat up some processor bandwidth.  At the very least I would try running at 2048x20248.

b. Options - Display Section:  Try enabling Triple Buffering and see if that makes a difference when weather textures are changing or while on approach.

c. Options - World:   Your settings are not only hurting you, they are likely causing your CPU and GPU to do a lot of extra work for no benefit whatsoever.  Mesh at 1m is just wicked bad and the mesh you have installed doesn't go that low, not even for payware scenery. 

Active Sky Settings

The default settings that comes with ActiveSky are fine for General Aviation type flying, but for high end airliner models such as our Airbus that can cause some issues.  Myself and a commercial pilot friend of mine developed ActiveSky Weather settings over a 5 year period of time and it is our belief these settings provide the best overall weather for airliners around the globe.  Below are instructions and the Configuration file for the ActiveSky settings I recommend.

1. Ensure Windows "Show Hidden Files/Folders" in enabled.

2. Download the "Aerosoft CFD Settings V1.1" (below).

3. Copy and paste the "Aerosoft CFD Settings V1.1.cfg" file to the Options folder, located at:

C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Hifi

4. Start ActiveSky, select Options, then select "User Presets", and select "Save Current Options".  This will save your current settings.

5. Re-select "User Presets" and then select the "Aerosoft CFD Settings V1.1".

6. Close and restart ActiveSky (necessary anytime you switch between saved settings).

Active Sky Configuration File Download is:  Aerosoft CFD Settings V1.1.CFG

Use an External Frame Rate Limiter at 30fps

Flight sim is NOT a first person shooter type game and maxing out or seeking the highest frame rate possible is absoltuely NOT something you want to do, not EVER.

Setting a frame rate limit provides several important benefits when running FSX/P3D (and I'm sure other sims).  Something important to note here is that the Frame Rate setting inside of P3D options is not and does not function as a Frame Rate Limiter, so in my opinion it's best to set Unlimited Frames and select Triple Buffering while setting the Frame Rate Limiter via MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner.

Perhaps the two best benefits is that the limit helps to mitigate the processor from ramping up and down (it's more of a steady state which can really help especially if your processor cores are locked instead of ramping up and down in a Turbo Mode) and this also helps ensure there is some remaining (reserve) processor bandwifth for times when increased processor usage is demanded (scenery or weather texture loading, etc.).

I also recommend you give some consideration to using an external frame rate limiter such as the one provided with MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner - these two programns work together so they should be run together. I have both set up to launch automatically when P3Dv4.5 is started and I have the frame rate limiter set to 30fps which is also the optimal frame rate for P3Dv4, P3Dv3 and any version of FSX. Instructions to do this can be found in the MSI Afterburner Documentation / Rivatuner documentation, the latter of which is installed along with RivaTuner. You might also find Video Guides for setting up rthe frame rate limter as well as Monitoring and On Screen Display.  Regarding Monitoring and the On Screen Display I have mine set up to how or be hidden from view with the press of a key on the keyuboard (very easy to setup and is covered in the documentation).

Here are the download links for MSI Afterburner Download and RivaTuner Download.

P3D Settings:

Below are P3D settings that should maximize the visuals for you and not hammer your CPU and GPU to do it.  They are the settings that I use personally and have used for many years (and I not only run all payware scenery around the flight sim virtual world I have a single GTX1080 pushing a 55 inch 4K TV and three 23 inch 1080p monitors and I run more software during my flights on a single computer than anyone I've ever known or known of in my 40 years in the hobby).  I would use the settings below and leave them alone, except to lower them even more if necessary, so consider them a ceiling for your system).  For the sake of time and as I've recommended different P3D settings already, I'll stop commenting on the settings you are running with, but please, do consider the recommended settings as the ceiling for your system and no matter what don't set them any higher.

Before changing your P3D settings, please start P3D, select Options and Options-Display, and then select "Reset Defaults".  Then close P3D, clear your P3D Shaders, reboot your PC, start P3D and then set the settings below.

That should improve things for you significantly my friend, but know that each of these recommendations is important.  After you make the recommended changes would you please come back and let us know how you make out?

Aerosoft Flight Simulation Community

We have a terrific group of very experienced flight simmers in the Aerosoft Flight Sim Community, and we're making Connected Flifght Deck several times a day.  I hope you'll consider stopping by to meet and speak with us on the communities Discord Server!  We don't provide official tech support via our Discord server, it's used for tlaking, giving advice and flying!',

Best wishes!

1 hour ago, B0GI03 said:

Just another thing to add: I have just done a test flight around LYBE with QualityWings 787 and did the Autoland with no issues, everything went smoothly. So it's not the scenery or the sim, and, again, the framerate was good.

Just a couple of things to help my recommendations (above) make sense.

1. It's human nature to compare similar aircraft, but in this case it is very difficult to compare the Airbus Professional to another airliners because as of this writing the Airbus Professional is the only airliner I know of for which the code used for developing the product.  So basically the Airbus Pro is the only airliner which is coded specifically for P 3Dv4.5 HF 2 (P3D 4.5.13.32097).

2. To the best of my knowledge, the Airbus Professional is the only airliner for P3Dv4.5 which has 2048 PBR textures for the virtual cockpit and external textures.  This looks GREAT, but may effect frame rate and scenery/weather texture loading on some systems.

Okay, so I reset the shaders, put all the settings you recommended, except turning hyperthreading off because I need it and It seems like It resolved the issue. But I also uninstalled all Aerosoft aircraft and those are: A330, A320/21 and A319/18. I reinstalled just the a319/18 and it resolved the issue. Now I have two more questions before the topic is closed. Is it possible that the A319 had been using some files from A330 since I installed that one first and also experienced slight left/right problem with it, so maybe the A319 had been using some files from the A330 and that caused a problem? Also I did a test flight with a319 with CFM engines, and I often use IAE engines, so, does the engine type play the role in the problem?

All in all, thank you so much for the tips and for the help I appreciate it, I just posted these two questions just to make sure the problem doesn't come back.

6 minutes ago, B0GI03 said:

Is it possible that the A319 had been using some files from A330 since I installed that one first and also experienced slight left/right problem with it, so maybe the A319 had been using some files from the A330 and that caused a problem?

No sir, both products are 100% separate from one another.

6 minutes ago, B0GI03 said:

I did a test flight with a319 with CFM engines, and I often use IAE engines, so, does the engine type play the role in the problem?

No sir.  The main difference between IAE and CFM engines is that the CFM's are have more thrust and spool up/down faster.  But nothing that will affect performance and/or the issues that you experienced.

Happy to hear things are better for you!

Best wishes.

3 minutes ago, mopperle said:

Did you update your Buses via the ASUpdater to the latest version 1.3.0.5?

Yes sir.

2 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

No sir, both products are 100% separate from one another.

No sir.  The main difference between IAE and CFM engines is that the CFM's are have more thrust and spool up/down faster.  But nothing that will affect performance and/or the issues that you experienced.

Happy to hear things are better for you!

Best wishes.

Thank you again and best wishes for you too.

Archived