ILS problem with cross-wind

Hello Hans, 

I hope you are good?! I don't know if it was quoted.

With CRJ 1000. When I am on final with loc and glide capture and cross-wind (above 10kts), flight director does not compensate for the wind and we find ourselves either to the left or to the right of the axis. It is the third time for me. At this moment, I need to disconnect the autopilot and continue on visual approach. No problem with nice weather, but in other case, it is more complicate.I don't know if it is the same for other people?

No impact on the glide, but only on the localizer.

And i confirm, when I have this problem I am stable with flaps full, gear down and final approach speed. 

Regards, 

Alex'

You mean that, right 🙂

Please login to display this image.

Yes, Hans knows about this problem. We hope that it will be improved with an upcoming update.

Wolfgang

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 3:14 PM, Alex Nicolle said:

Hello Hans, 

I hope you are good?! I don't know if it was quoted.

With CRJ 1000. When I am on final with loc and glide capture and cross-wind (above 10kts), flight director does not compensate for the wind and we find ourselves either to the left or to the right of the axis. It is the third time for me. At this moment, I need to disconnect the autopilot and continue on visual approach. No problem with nice weather, but in other case, it is more complicate.I don't know if it is the same for other people?

No impact on the glide, but only on the localizer.

And i confirm, when I have this problem I am stable with flaps full, gear down and final approach speed. 

Regards, 

Alex'

The real airplane has this problem too. When you swap form "white needles" to "green needles" it will delete the wind correction data. For example in Minneapolis, MN Delta Air Lines has large arrival banks and we often get long finals. It's common to intercept in white needles and at about a 15 NM final swap to green needles. When the swap takes place, the airplane will see that it's slightly off course and turn (tenaciously) to center the LOC. The airplane senses the LOC is not sensitive and will make smaller more gradual corrections. As a result, on a long final the airplane will often fly off centerline. Any crosswind will exaggerate this effect! As the airplane gets close to the runway the ILS signal becomes more sensitive and the autopilot will work to tenaciously keep it centered; it has to assume that it's flying a CAT II approach and has to do everything it can to keep it in a landing position. 

4 hours ago, andy51edge said:

The real airplane has this problem too. When you swap form "white needles" to "green needles" it will delete the wind correction data. For example in Minneapolis, MN Delta Air Lines has large arrival banks and we often get long finals. It's common to intercept in white needles and at about a 15 NM final swap to green needles. When the swap takes place, the airplane will see that it's slightly off course and turn (tenaciously) to center the LOC. The airplane senses the LOC is not sensitive and will make smaller more gradual corrections. As a result, on a long final the airplane will often fly off centerline. Any crosswind will exaggerate this effect! As the airplane gets close to the runway the ILS signal becomes more sensitive and the autopilot will work to tenaciously keep it centered; it has to assume that it's flying a CAT II approach and has to do everything it can to keep it in a landing position. 

Thanks to reply, so if I follow your strategy, it is better if I intercept the ILS with white needles (in crosswind) and after I will switch on green needles. I will test soon, thanks!

Archived