Simmers Without Borders - Help fight the Corona virus

WebMaximus

Was a bit surprised I didn't find this great initiative by Navigraph mentioned anywhere here after doing a quick search in the forums. Or maybe I missed it?

Anyway, I highly suggest anyone reading this to watch the YouTube clip below by Navigraph which will explain what it's all about. In short, how everyone can be part of helping finding a vaccine or even a cure for the Corona virus.

You can also read about it over here -> https://simmerswithoutborders.org/

• Aerosoft

That's because it has nothing to do with flightsim or Navigraph. It is an existing distributed folding system that has been discussed in many places. I have been running it for a few hours each night since many many years. Before corona I was helping to find a cure for a specific cancer that hurts young kids. 

While it is a very good idea if people join (that said, there are no open tasks right now), I am not a big fan of companies giving it a new name. If you want to help, do help, but simmerswithoutborders really does not work for me.

FoldingAtHome.org is all you need to know. Has been for many years. Great people, great efforts. 

Of course FAH itself isn't related to flight simming nor Navigraph. Some people like yourself might already have participated in their efforts to help fighting various medical conditions. While others might have not.

What I personally thought was a good thing here was the initiative taken by Navigraph to get as many people as possible within the flight sim community participate. Especially in a time like this where all of us face a very serious situation. Both from a medical point of view as well as an economic.

• Aerosoft

But again, would pointing people to FoldingAtHome.org not be more efficient? I am a big fan of these things and agree it might have been a good idea to mention it here, but even though the crew at Navigraph are good friends, I get a little bit uncomfortable seeing them setup another layer on top and linking Navigraph to it. 

I think it is a bit personal, I am also not a big fan of any marketing related to corona. This is a very serious situation we are in. If a company wants to do something and they got the cash to spare to give out products for free or discounted I think it would be better to send that money to a organisation that tries to help. And ideally just say nothing about it. And yes I realize Aerosoft is also doing marketing around corona, but fortunately not everybody in our company has to agree to everything, lol.

It just makes me a bit itchy,  if you get my drift. Aerosoft has a proud history of charity. We assist with the care for orphans in Africa, very directly by paying for new buildings etc. We do so because we damned well understand that being anxious about an update for the A330 is not exactly in the same class as being anxious about your next meal. We donated serious sums of money, but we are not using that for marketing.

-------------------

That said, if anybody got killer hardware and willing to spend a bit on electricity... letting your system do some of the calculations the scientists need is a very very good idea. Via Navigraph or via FAH, it does not matter one bit.

We all feel the sense if helplessness about corona. Other doing what your government ask (or in case of some countries what scientists advise) there is so little we can do. Check around you for people that might get mental problems because of the isolation, call your local city to see if they need volunteers for something, write a scalding comment when you see utter nonsense being posted (5G causes corona..... would you bloody be serious?).  Call that uncle you have not spoken to in years. Don't just sit there waiting for it to pass. 

All very well said Mathijs and I do understand your view on all this after reading your post.

I didn't think of it from a marketing perspective. I just thought of it from a flight simmers perspective (and liked the idea) having as many flight simming fellows as possible join for a good cause.

Sorry for that and I'll edit my original post to reflect this. Also very nice to hear what Aerosoft is already doing and have been doing for a long time when it comes to charity work 👍

Looks like I can't edit my post any longer.

So please feel free to change it for me as you see fit to point people to FoldingAtHome.org rather than to SimmersWithoutBorders.org

I'm happy to hear that Mathijs!

Waiting for new jobs myself for my PC. I've had it running more or less around the clock for the last couple of days but seems to currently be more computers waiting for something to work on than there are work units available via the FAH client.

Archived