Autopilot turning bug

Just upgraded to the CRJ Professional, it does this weird bug with autopilot. It rolls and turns slowly, then will turn very quickly for about a second, then stops again. YouTube video attached, happens in the very beginning and near the end.

What would be the issue here?

edit: I just completed my first flight with this jet and this caused some issues with my ILS because the plane would over correct and I had to manually fly the whole approach.

Restarted my system and the same issue occurs. Impossible to fly without this being fixed. I would also like to point out that my dynamic lights just cut off in the middle of my flight.

unknown.png?width=854&height=480

Made for a pretty difficult taxi...

• Developer

I haven't seen this problem yet. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm currently doing between 2 and 4 full flights every day right now, so if it's a problem with the aircraft, I should be able to reproduce it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I am having similar issues here with the most recent version. It overshoots literally every turn, no matter how shallow, and in general is extremely sluggish to follow the FD on autopilot. When flying at <250Kts, the autopilot mistrims the aircraft severely. When taking it from the AP on approach it shoots you straight into the sky at ridiculous angles. Something's clearly not working right, but I'm not sure what. Took some screenshots earlier, if you want them let me know.

• Deputy Sheriffs
48 minutes ago, Jonas Hlmk said:

I am having similar issues here with the most recent version. It overshoots literally every turn, no matter how shallow, and in general is extremely sluggish to follow the FD on autopilot. When flying at <250Kts, the autopilot mistrims the aircraft severely. When taking it from the AP on approach it shoots you straight into the sky at ridiculous angles. Something's clearly not working right, but I'm not sure what. Took some screenshots earlier, if you want them let me know.

Are you using the latest experimental or stable update?

• Deputy Sheriffs
10 hours ago, Jonas Hlmk said:

According to the update manager: Installed version: 1.2.3.0

Should have mentioned FSX and not using the Pro CRJs.

Hi, the final SP for the FSX version is still in developing. It will include all fixes from the Pro, but not necessarily new features.

Maybe some fixes from the current MSFS development will also find their way into the SP.

vor 1 hour , masterhawk sagte:

Hi, the final SP for the FSX version is still in developing. It will include all fixes from the Pro, but not necessarily new features.

Maybe some fixes from the current MSFS development will also find their way into the SP.

Okay, so just to be clear, there's nothing I can do and they're just broken like that? Seems rather excessive as it's pretty close to unflyable to me and I'm sure other people are using them on FSX successfully somehow?

• Deputy Sheriffs
26 minutes ago, Jonas Hlmk said:

Okay, so just to be clear, there's nothing I can do and they're just broken like that? Seems rather excessive as it's pretty close to unflyable to me and I'm sure other people are using them on FSX successfully somehow?

I’m no experienced user of the CRJ. Maybe an other user or the dev (@Hans Hartmann) can help.

Alrighty, I'll hope for that then I guess. I am by no means experienced with these particular models as well so I just don't know where my issues might originate. I hear there's a glitch with the payload when setting it via DAVE, so I've been avoiding that, as I figured maybe the aircraft is accidentally way overloaded and inertia is blowing us through our turns and making it struggle to maintain the FDs, but it hasn't helped any. I also made sure my trims are "clean" and not being messed with by some button or axis binding. Here's some quick screenshots from my test flight yesterday to illustrate its behaviour:

Please login to display this image.

You can see it's quite a shallow turn we're coming up on and in this screenshot the aircraft has already captured the next leg and the FD is commanding a turn. The aircraft intercepts this guidance very sluggishly until it eventually blows through and the FD commands wings level as we pass through the intended track, which the aircraft more or less won't even try to do:

So this is where we wind up:

The aircraft will then take forever to correct this and bring us back into the NAV track because it just insists on always staying a few units behind the FD. I could hand fly it much better than this.

Here's a screenshot that displays quite well how it struggles to follow the FD. We're still climbing here, our target is FL370. You can see that AP is engaged and has been for the entire flight so far. It had maintained the speed bug -5 to 10Kts for the entire climb and on conversion began having even more trouble. I would say it oscillated, pitching up and down in an attempt to capture that speed, but it didn't feel so concerted, it felt confused, just blowing through the FD's guided pitch and the selected IAS all up and down like it had no clue what I want from it.

Don't even ask about the turn coming up right there. It's a mean, non-standard one and I wasn't expecting much, surely most other aircraft would have blown through that at these speeds. I actually ended up going DCT to the waypoint after that to alleviate the angle a little bit and it didn't even do an awful job at establishing some kind of path, albeit with the weird, sharp maneuvers being commanded by the FD:

Needless to say with this kind of autopilot performance, the CRJs are not airworthy for me at the moment. In an attempt to not impact the ground at a >90° angle of bank I didn't manage to capture any screenshots of what happened on the approach. Trim was all the way nose up, lateral mode reverted to "ROLL" when pressing APPR and just merrily rolled us over, we would have been belly up without intervention. I realize it's not the most modern, sophisticated autopilot that's being modeled here, but surely it shouldn't even be able to do something for which there is no use other than murder, right?

I hope maybe this gives enough insight so someone could tell what's malfunctioning here, even if it's just the pilot himself.

• Deputy Sheriffs
8 minutes ago, Jonas Hlmk said:

Alrighty, I'll hope for that then I guess. I am by no means experienced with these particular models as well so I just don't know where my issues might originate. I hear there's a glitch with the payload when setting it via DAVE, so I've been avoiding that, as I figured maybe the aircraft is accidentally way overloaded and inertia is blowing us through our turns and making it struggle to maintain the FDs, but it hasn't helped any. I also made sure my trims are "clean" and not being messed with by some button or axis binding. Here's some quick screenshots from my test flight yesterday to illustrate its behaviour:

https://i.postimg.cc/2j0rBZdn/20201205141835-1.jpg

You can see it's quite a shallow turn we're coming up on and in this screenshot the aircraft has already captured the next leg and the FD is commanding a turn. The aircraft intercepts this guidance very sluggishly until it eventually blows through and the FD commands wings level as we pass through the intended track, which the aircraft more or less won't even try to do:

https://i.postimg.cc/CMq9wnPF/20201205141851-1.jpg

So this is where we wind up:

https://i.postimg.cc/D0R24VV8/20201205141912-1.jpg

The aircraft will then take forever to correct this and bring us back into the NAV track because it just insists on always staying a few units behind the FD. I could hand fly it much better than this.

Here's a screenshot that displays quite well how it struggles to follow the FD. We're still climbing here, our target is FL370. You can see that AP is engaged and has been for the entire flight so far. It had maintained the speed bug -5 to 10Kts for the entire climb and on conversion began having even more trouble. I would say it oscillated, pitching up and down in an attempt to capture that speed, but it didn't feel so concerted, it felt confused, just blowing through the FD's guided pitch and the selected IAS all up and down like it had no clue what I want from it.

https://i.postimg.cc/1RDPJdZc/20201205142202-1.jpg

Don't even ask about the turn coming up right there. It's a mean, non-standard one and I wasn't expecting much, surely most other aircraft would have blown through that at these speeds. I actually ended up going DCT to the waypoint after that to alleviate the angle a little bit and it didn't even do an awful job at establishing some kind of path, albeit with the weird, sharp maneuvers being commanded by the FD:

https://postimg.cc/fSZH6WPH/d68dcfa6

Needless to say with this kind of autopilot performance, the CRJs are not airworthy for me at the moment. In an attempt to not impact the ground at a >90° angle of bank I didn't manage to capture any screenshots of what happened on the approach. Trim was all the way nose up, lateral mode reverted to "ROLL" when pressing APPR and just merrily rolled us over, we would have been belly up without intervention. I realize it's not the most modern, sophisticated autopilot that's being modeled here, but surely it shouldn't even be able to do something for which there is no use other than murder, right?

I hope maybe this gives enough insight so someone could tell what's malfunctioning here, even if it's just the pilot himself.

Please insert the jpg direct into the post. No need for an image hoster.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm experiencing the same problem.

It's incredible that there is no answers from the staff. 

Even the usual answer that consists to say that there is thousands of users for witch everything is ok or the other one that consists to say that we are not able to reproduce it.

It makes a lot of issues to fix doesn't it ?

We can accept to buy a product that is not a study level because is the aerosoft choice, but it would be nice to have a non study level aircraft witch is at least well ended.

I am not expecting any answer to this particular post please.

Instead take the time to answer to the issue here.

Archived