A320 Professional - Looping sound 'pop' / 'crack' in VC

UponAvalanche

Hello all,

Recently I have noticed an issue with the A318/19/20/21 professional where there is a 'popping' or 'cracking' sound present (applies to all engine types, most audible on CFM engine) - specifically on the left audio channel - whilst in VC. The frequency is about every 2 seconds and only audible with engines running. Frequency doesn't change depending on engine RPM, it's constantly fixed at 2 seconds.

External sounds do not have this issue, only internal when in VC.

This is becoming very annoying and I have run out of ideas of what it could be. I have reinstalled the entire product twice, rebooting between installations. I have also tried different aircraft and this issue is not present in any others, including the A330 from Aerosoft also.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this please? It's ruining my sim experience and I have to mute all sounds immediately after takeoff until just before landing as it's so frustrating to listen to.

Cheers,

Dan

5 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We are unable to recreate this in any way and have no other comments like that. I do not know what could be special on your system that causes this. I would suggest making sure all audio drivers are updated etc.

Hi Mathijs,

I've done some troubleshooting in-sim over the last hour or so, relaunched the sim a few times and discovered it's no longer making the sound. This has happened before when it sort of just comes and goes randomly.

I too don't know what could be causing it however hopefully it doesn't come back. 

Thanks for the response.

I heard sometimes also a strange sound like the jittery sound desribed above in the A330 and lately in the a320 but only for 2-3 sec.
But I'm still on an older version. Have to upgrade to the newer builts once I have more time..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mathijs,

So I did some extended troubleshooting a few days ago and have been flying with the A320 (CFM and IAE) and A319 (IAE) over the last few days and have discovered a workaround to the issue which does come with a drawback.

For the workaround, Instead of starting engines following the correct procedure of switching the engine mode starter switch to ignition and then starting both engines one by one (like the real world), I press CTRL + E, then switch the mode selector to ignition and start engines both one by one. I'm not too sure what effect CTRL+E has but it starts making a noise when I press them and then start engines as normal. The drawback is when I arrive at the gate at the end of a flight and switch both engine switches off, there are no shutdown sounds whatsoever. The engines just go from audible running to nothing and all I hear is the APU sounds. If I don't start the APU and switch the engines off it just goes to silence. However, if I start engines properly without CTRL + E and deal with the popping sound, at the end of the flight there is audible engine shutdown sounds only for the CFM (not IAE).

Don't know if this helps or not, but this is what I have discovered.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, UponAvalanche said:

Hi Mathijs,

So I did some extended troubleshooting a few days ago and have been flying with the A320 (CFM and IAE) and A319 (IAE) over the last few days and have discovered a workaround to the issue which does come with a drawback.

For the workaround, Instead of starting engines following the correct procedure of switching the engine mode starter switch to ignition and then starting both engines one by one (like the real world), I press CTRL + E, then switch the mode selector to ignition and start engines both one by one. I'm not too sure what effect CTRL+E has but it starts making a noise when I press them and then start engines as normal. The drawback is when I arrive at the gate at the end of a flight and switch both engine switches off, there are no shutdown sounds whatsoever. The engines just go from audible running to nothing and all I hear is the APU sounds. If I don't start the APU and switch the engines off it just goes to silence. However, if I start engines properly without CTRL + E and deal with the popping sound, at the end of the flight there is audible engine shutdown sounds only for the CFM (not IAE).

Don't know if this helps or not, but this is what I have discovered.

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with your initial issue but the engine shutdown issue and the CTRL+E stuff is still being discussed in this thread below (I am one who is experiencing the issue). In my opinion, I think far more people are experiencing it then they realize (they just aren't reporting it). Glad you also mentioned this to them.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have just purchased the Aerosoft A320/A321 + A319/A318 bundle and I am too getting this clicking noise. I noticed it only happens on the CFM engines for me and noticed it only happens after i put the throttles over a certain %. With this knowledge i went into the sound files for the CFM engines on both the base packs and i think the file with the bad loop is TSS-3B, I can hear the click at the very end of the loop as it goes back to the begining.

I have checked all my audio drivers and they are upto date and also changed my headphones as i thought this was the issue at the start lol.

Hope this helps and it gets fixed as i love this aircraft and the A330.

Kind regards

Tony

Hi again,

After spending more time looking into this I have actually find out that it is in fact the file TSS-3A that's causing the clicking noise. I edited the sound cfg found in (D:\P3D V4\P3D V4 Core\Aerosoft\Aerosoft A320-A321 Professional\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft A320-A321 Professional Base\Sound_CFM). After removing the line's for the sound file TSS-3B the clicking noise was still present, I then removed the line's for the sound file TSS-3A and the clicking is no longer present. After then copying this for the A319/A318 I can confirm this also worked and I no longer have any clicking noise whilst using the aircrafts :)

Just to clarify.... I edited the sound cfg found under...

D:\P3D V4\P3D V4 Core\Aerosoft\Aerosoft A320-A321 Professional\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft A320-A321 Professional Base\Sound_CFM

D:\P3D V4\P3D V4 Core\Aerosoft\Aerosoft A318-A319 Professional\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft A318-A319 Professional Base\Sound_CFM

I removed the lines adding the sound file TSS-3A and this fixed my engine clicking sounds.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Even though this thread is a little older, I feel I must post here my solution as I was experiencing the same issue like the OP had. I read the solutions laid out here and I consider they are not relevant from my point of view.

My problem was, as follows: I had the same popping / cracking noise in the Aerosoft A320 cockpit as initially mentioned in this thread; the issue was the same for the other family models A321, 318, 319. I don't own yet the A330 model, but I assume the same issue might apply also to that addon. The sound popping / cracking noise appears only when I apply thrust to the engines, towards the maximum level (say, over 60-70% or more), so no issue under that threshold. The sound is applied at a constant frequency of 2-3 seconds, fixed, and as the OP said, it is audible mostly on the left channel, only with the engines running.

For reference, I am running P3D v4.5 on a i7-8700, MSI GTX 1080, 32GB 3200CL14, SSD Sata3.

Initially I thought that the A320 addon was the culprit. For comparison, I own all PMDG addons (737, 777 and 747) and no PMDG aircraft exhibits this issue. After I checked some forums, I ran across a P3d forum thread where some users explained this issue in relation to other addons, recommending to check for DPC latency issues. Not necessarily in order to isolate this issue for I kind of had given up on Aerosoft A320 addon, I accidentally stumbled upon the same issue on a default P3d v4 aircraft (I think the Constelation from JustFlight, if I recall correctly, the big 4-engine propeller old aircraft). For further illustration, since it is obvious now that the issue is not peculiar to Aerosoft A320 addon, not all P3D default aircrafts exhibit this problem: for example the fighter jets do not have this issue, so this is why, when I initially installed P3Dv4, I didn't encounter this problem.

So, I started to use LatencyMon in order to troubleshoot any possible latency issues: I disabled and enabled in sequence all devices where I could possibly do this (of course nothing vital for the system to function). Since I didn't receive any feedback from this operation, I started up a new flight in P3D with the A320 addon. During the flight I received an error message and a DirectX latency spike from LatencyMon regarding a possible driver-related latency issue, or power management / bios throttling setting for that matter. So, I enabled the Ultimate Performance power management setting, which basically restricts my CPU to min/max 100% always, along with the PCI express link state disabled (among others), and the sound issue was gone. My i7-8700 is the non-K version so I don't think I can set, after some failed BIOS setting changes, to a fixed frequency, so for me the power management setting was the best option. Although I think that also for an unlocked CPU owner, the power management setting might still be the best option, because I have come to the conclusion, given this latency issue, that this game doesn't cope well with any kind of power management setting, besides the ultimate performance one.

Why doesn't PMDG exhibit this issue? Maybe they somehow bypass the default P3D method of audio output, I don't know. My Aerosoft A32x/31x addons now run flawless without any audio issue; I still have a very small audio crackle in the default P3D Constellation addon, but changed now on a stereo sound (and maybe some other default ones, I didn't check all the others). As an aftermath, this is an obvious issue with the P3D engine and not the A320 addon, although I blame Aerosoft for not digging further into this issue. I mean, how can PMDG and A2A have flawless audio output in the cockpit and Aerosoft A320 falls victim to this shortcoming related to an old P3D engine (same PC, same settings)? All of them use the same P3D v4 environment. Restricting the CPU to 100% frequency is not a solution, it is a workaround.

I will come back if I see any other changes.

Regards,

Silviu

Romania

Archived