'ND log file could not be generated!' error message returns.

Zooferret

It has me beat, its trying to create a nd.log but can not find the path to write it to ?

Where is the nd log supposed to be located ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jeansy said:

Funny you say that I only installed it the other night to get sode to run

so yes please i would be interested to try

No problem. You need to insert the following text to add-ons.cfg file, located in \ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 folder:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Package.0]

PATH=C:\Users\Matej Stavanja\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\Aerosoft A330 Pro V5

TITLE=Aerosoft A330 Professional

ACTIVE=true

REQUIRED=false

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After those lines are inserted, you need to adjust the corresponding [Package.xx] numbers. That did the trick for me.

Please let me know, if it works.

Cheers,

Matej

anyone from aerosoft care to weigh in and provide some guidance ?

Im assuming this will also happen with the a318/320 package as well when released?

Have exactly the same problem, was clean installed as admin and running well. After a reboot, the problem comes up.

The Aerosoft airports are in the add-ons cfg but the A330 is gone after it was there before, very strange behaviour.

I was running P3D the weeks before without problems and the A330 was installed without issues, but after I updated to Windows 10 2004 and reverted back to a version before, due to VRAM issues with the newest

build, the problems started.

• Aerosoft
On 5/30/2020 at 3:49 AM, jeansy said:

anyone from aerosoft care to weigh in and provide some guidance ?

Im assuming this will also happen with the a318/320 package as well when released?

It's not easy to advise..... The issue is clear. The 'user' that is running P3d does not have the rights to create or edit a file in that directory.
Have you tried switching off logging in the configurator?

33 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

It's not easy to advise..... The issue is clear. The 'user' that is running P3d does not have the rights to create or edit a file in that directory.
Have you tried switching off logging in the configurator?

Ive checked and ensured logging is turned off, I have noticed some

• paints added via the old means by adding the content directly to cfg  instead of the livery installer will generate the problem, 
  • some paints added via the livery installer will also generate the same problem.
  • Add flight plans via simbrief or updating the nav data can also do the same thing.

Ive noticed when this ND error happens all the paints in the livery manger disappear and the 330 list is blank

when it happens its a case of a full install of v1.20 of the bus and 9 out of 10 times it fixes, however its like treading on egg shells not knowing what could be the next thing that triggers it

As for rights all sim related folders have been checked and all aps,  system , admins and my user login have full read and right controls the drives in questions had the same rights as I had for p3dv4 where i never experienced this problem before 

On 31.5.2020 at 13:58, SK10 sagte:

Have exactly the same problem, was clean installed as admin and running well. After a reboot, the problem comes up.

The Aerosoft airports are in the add-ons cfg but the A330 is gone after it was there before, very strange behaviour.

I was running P3D the weeks before without problems and the A330 was installed without issues, but after I updated to Windows 10 2004 and reverted back to a version before, due to VRAM issues with the newest

build, the problems started.

For me I have solved the problem once I installed the A330 on an different location. I installed it to the drive where P3D is installed and now it seems to be working correctly since the last couple of days.

8 minutes ago, SK10 said:

For me I have solved the problem once I installed the A330 on an different location. I installed it to the drive where P3D is installed and now it seems to be working correctly since the last couple of days.

Which confirms what Mathijs said above. 

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, jeansy said:

Ive checked and ensured logging is turned off, I have noticed some

• paints added via the old means by adding the content directly to cfg  instead of the livery installer will generate the problem, 
  • some paints added via the livery installer will also generate the same problem.
  • Add flight plans via simbrief or updating the nav data can also do the same thing.

Ive noticed when this ND error happens all the paints in the livery manger disappear and the 330 list is blank

when it happens its a case of a full install of v1.20 of the bus and 9 out of 10 times it fixes, however its like treading on egg shells not knowing what could be the next thing that triggers it

As for rights all sim related folders have been checked and all aps,  system , admins and my user login have full read and right controls the drives in questions had the same rights as I had for p3dv4 where i never experienced this problem before 

And all of that points to the same thing, your OS forbids you to change anything to that folder.  We cannot write add-ons that overwrite these settings of the OS, it would be a hack.

13 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

And all of that points to the same thing, your OS forbids you to change anything to that folder.  We cannot write add-ons that overwrite these settings of the OS, it would be a hack.

Not trying to be rude or arrogant, but some guidance on which folders i need to revisit would be great to find this nd.log or trouble shooting what could be the cause. Apart from a windows reinstall which at this moment seems to be the only way ahead, im dumbfounded that it worked perfectly for p3dv4.5 but wont for v5

I am just running into the same problem with the A318/319.

Prepar3D is installed on Drive G:

The addon is installed in C:\users\me\documents\Prepar3D V5 Add-ons

The sim is run as administrator. The documents folder has full control by System, Administrator and User (only one user=admin on this PC).

Logging is off. 

I will try with installing into another location now. 

I was just running into the same problem with the A318/319.

The sim is run as administrator. The documents folder has full control by System, Administrator and User (only one user=admin on this PC).

Logging is off. 

Findings:

After installing the aircraft into G:\Aircraft\Aerosoft the error did no longer occur. This includes rebooting, starting the sim multiple times, disabling the view system, checking the entries in the Lorby Add-on tool. 

The add-on xml files look exactly the same as with the previous installation. The add-on.cfg file now shows the entry on top of the list, before it was on the bottom of the file. 

So my guess is that it really has something to do with the permissions.

Maybe this is helpful.

Just now, hjsmuc said:

I was just running into the same problem with the A318/319.

Logging is off. 

Findings:

After installing the aircraft into G:\Aircraft\Aerosoft the error did no longer occur. This includes rebooting, starting the sim multiple times, disabling the view system, checking the entries in the Lorby Add-on tool. 

The add-on xml files look exactly the same as with the previous installation. The add-on.cfg file now shows the entry on top of the list, before it was on the bottom of the file. 

So my guess is that it really has something to do with the permissions.

Maybe this is helpful.

Great job my friend!

Best wishes for happy flights!

On 6/2/2020 at 11:14 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

can you send us your add-on.cfg file?

Sorry for the delay, I formatted my documents HD and uninstalled p3d and conducted a reinstall of p3d and the 3 bus packages and still have the same error

Please login to display this image.

add-ons.cfg

nothing like passing the buck is there mathijs... 

same issue here...

all my addons work fine in v5 apart from the 330 and yes its an issue with LORBI ADDON software.

why not email him and work together to solve the issue instead of this passing the buck crap

26 minutes ago, Stawberrycocktail said:

nothing like passing the buck is there mathijs... 

Look, I understand frustration, but there really isn't any need for that. It doesn't do you or anyone any good and it certainly doesn't belong here.  Mathijs always gives the very best advice he is able to with what he knows at the time.  In fact, if you think about it logically it's not his (or any developers) best interest to tell you something that they know is wrong. That would be self defeating.

You may not know this, but Mathijs has been working with flight simmers for 40+ years and he not only has a direct line to many different developers including LM and MS, he speaks with them regularly and he often knows more than his staff does (and we're usually some pretty heavy bears when it comes to this stuff).  Even if Mathijs is wrong, it's not intentional and I have never, not EVER known the man to pass the buck. Not EVER.

Finally, let me be clear about something.  I too have been in the flight simulation community for 40 years but only working with flight simmers for the past 15.  I don't know, and I have never heard of a single person more devoted to flight simmers than Mathijs is, and he's proved it countless times over the years I have known him.  My point?  I understand your frustrated, I'll bet I've been there myself far more than most people.  But please, show Mathijs the respect that he's earned it many times over.  I simple won't tolerate anything less than that.

Now it is in our best interest to treat our customers with the respect they are due, and it's usually pretty easy given how much we like and appreciate them. After all, we're all flight simmers too!  We also want you to enjoy our products, not be frustrated with them. But P3Dv5 is a train wreck and we're doing our very best to address many issues that frankly we (or you) shouldn't have to.  I''ll tell you something else, the level of frustration that you may be feeling is nothing compared to ours and neither you nor we expected or deserved this, but we're still doing everything we can.

Had it been my decision, I would be stopped our Airbus transition to P3Dv5.  In fact I would not have even started it.  Now here is something nobody else would have told you... the fact that Mathijs decided to move ahead with the P3Dv5 transition was not about money, or sales, because we provided this update for free despite the cost for doing this being much greater than we had anticipated (because of all the issues we're having to deal with).  More importantly, Mathijs directed us to work on the P3Dv5 version in order to help LM and the entire flight sim world - it's true!  We're finding things that LM wouldn't otherwise know about and that benefits all the other developers and flight sim users, even those who don't use our products - and it costs us money that we would not have to spend if we merely waited.

The above is offered as food for thought, and in hopes that you will re-assess your perception and position regarding this matter and how you feel about Mathijs. You know, many years ago I had just completed my part in a major flight sim project which was tremendously successful and frankly I could have locked down a nice paid position with many different developers.  Instead I came here to Aerosoft and started at the very, VERY bottom in an unpaid position (which I don't mind telling you was something very difficult for me to do for numerous reasons) and there was only one reason for my doing this - Mathijs, and because of how he feels about the flight simulation community and flight simmers,  I promise that you will never find anyone who loves both more than Mathijs does and he's truly proven that countless times.  Mathijs is exactly the type of person I wanted to be associated with in our community.

Now, for a few reasons including my work on a different flight simulation project, I do not presently have P3Dv5 installed and I won't until the next version is released (coming very soon).  I have helped several people suffering a similar issue to the one you have reported and the advise Mathijs provided to you is exactly what I would have given to you.  I don't know when it will be, but once I have P3Dv5 reinstalled I would be very happy to try and assist you.  But please my friend, reconsider how you feel and what you said about Mathijs.

Thanks for your time.

Hello @ll,

from what I could find out, what is happening here is this:

• Users decide to install the Airbus 330 directly into the default autodiscovery path "C:\Users\...\Documents\Prepar3D Vx Add-ons"
  • The installer will then use the CLI to add the Package to the add-ons.cfg file in "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D vx"
  • This creates a duplicate dependency, the addon is referenced twice - once by the CLI file, and a second time because the add-on.xml file is at the same time properly located in the default discovery path
  • If the Lorby Addon Organizer is used in this configuration, it will remove the CLI reference and move it into the autodiscovery add-ons.cfg file in "C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D vx". It does that, because a few P3D versions back, the sim itself put the autodiscovery packages into the wrong add-ons.cfg (I think that it was P3D V4.4, and the matter had been posted on the P3D forum, ackowledged by Lockheed  and resolved in 4.5). But the mechanism to clean this up is still there in the Addon Organizer.
  • The Airbus in turn is accessing the CLI add-ons.cfg file to find out where its assets are. It cannot find the Package entry and throws an Exception. I'm not sure about this practice to be honest, the add-ons.cfg files are managed by the sim. They could theoretically change at any time, with any P3D version. A custom INI or a registry key would be better suited - but really just IMHO.

My recommendation would be not to install the Airbus addons into the autodiscovery path. Yes, this works with P3D alone, when you don't use P4AO or any other management tool. But technically it is wrong and only works by accident (because the sim doesn't care if the same package is referenced twice - but that could change with every point release too).

Edit: the aforementioned consistency check (legacy of P3D 4.4) has been removed from the Addon Organizer tool -> Version 1.55 b07 and later. Every package reference should now stay where it has been initially installed - even if that is "wrong".

Best regards
Oliver Binder

Lorby-SI

1 hour ago, olbind said:

Hello @ll,

from what I could find out, what is happening here is this:

• Users decide to install the Airbus 330 directly into the default autodiscovery path "C:\Users\...\Documents\Prepar3D Vx Add-ons"
  • The installer will then use the CLI to add the Package to the add-ons.cfg file in "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D vx"
  • This creates a duplicate dependency, the addon is referenced twice - once by the CLI file, and a second time because the add-on.xml file is at the same time properly located in the default discovery path
  • If the Lorby Addon Organizer is used in this configuration, it will remove the CLI reference and move it into the autodiscovery add-ons.cfg file in "C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D vx". It does that, because a few P3D versions back, the sim itself put the autodiscovery packages into the wrong add-ons.cfg (I think that it was P3D V4.4, and the matter had been posted on the P3D forum, ackowledged by Lockheed  and resolved in 4.5). But the mechanism to clean this up is still there in the Addon Organizer.
  • The Airbus in turn is accessing the CLI add-ons.cfg file to find out where its assets are. It cannot find the Package entry and throws an Exception. I'm not sure about this practice to be honest, the add-ons.cfg files are managed by the sim. They could theoretically change at any time, with any P3D version. A custom INI or a registry key would be better suited - but really just IMHO.

My recommendation would be not to install the Airbus addons into the autodiscovery path. Yes, this works with P3D alone, when you don't use P4AO or any other management tool. But technically it is wrong and only works by accident (because the sim doesn't care if the same package is referenced twice - but that could change with every point release too).

Edit: the aforementioned consistency check (legacy of P3D 4.4) has been removed from the Addon Organizer tool -> Version 1.55 b07 and later. Every package reference should now stay where it has been initially installed - even if that is "wrong".

Best regards
Oliver Binder

Lorby-SI

Thanks Oliver, always a pleasure to see you here my friend.

What you shared is also what our findings have been.  From what I understand, uninstalling the Airbus Professional and reinstalling the latest version to9 a different path while paying attention not to install to the Big no-no's (Program Files folders) and ensuring One Drive is disabled for the install location.  This should resolve these issues.  The latest installer also contains the latest Beta for TrueGlass and RealLight.

It is also important to ensure Windows 2004 update is properly installed.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise my friend.

Best wishes!

ok, awesome Ive gone and down complete system format and reinstall but yet to install any bus files or any lorby files

in layman's terms: where should I install it or should I wait for the next set of installers

4 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

What you shared is also what our findings have been.  From what I understand, uninstalling the Airbus Professional and reinstalling the latest version to9 a different path while paying attention not to install to the Big no-no's (Program Files folders) and ensuring One Drive is disabled for the install location.  This should resolve these issues.  The latest installer also contains the latest Beta for TrueGlass and RealLight.

Best wishes!

ok, awesome Ive gone and down complete system format and reinstall but yet to install any bus files or any lorby files

in layman's terms: where should I install it or should I wait for the next set of installers

On 5/28/2020 at 10:21 AM, hollow said:

No problem. You need to insert the following text to add-ons.cfg file, located in \ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 folder:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Package.0]

PATH=C:\Users\Matej Stavanja\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\Aerosoft A330 Pro V5

TITLE=Aerosoft A330 Professional

ACTIVE=true

REQUIRED=false

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After those lines are inserted, you need to adjust the corresponding [Package.xx] numbers. That did the trick for me.

Please let me know, if it works.

Cheers,

Matej

That also worked for me! Thanks 

On 6/6/2020 at 9:38 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

Best wishes!

Ive tried the entries in  both addons.cfg  in the  program data and then  app data folders and vice versa again to yield the same result time and time again

Ive tried lorbys addon manager and not to yield the same result

the best result i had was vanilla at one point only to add a flightplan or paint to get the error all over again

this applies to the current 3 bus packages in v5, never had the problem with my documents folders (p3d addons folder) with all other versions of P3D until v5

at the moment Im not going to install it again until i can get clear direction because in this thread people are giving conflicting information, follow the my addons folders and not my addons folder

5 hours ago, jeansy said:

Ive tried the entries in  both addons.cfg  in the  program data and then  app data folders and vice versa again to yield the same result time and time again

Ive tried lorbys addon manager and not to yield the same result

the best result i had was vanilla at one point only to add a flightplan or paint to get the error all over again

this applies to the current 3 bus packages in v5, never had the problem with my documents folders (p3d addons folder) with all other versions of P3D until v5

at the moment Im not going to install it again until i can get clear direction because in this thread people are giving conflicting information, follow the my addons folders and not my addons folder

Would you please tell us which program are you using to edit the add-ons.cfg file?  I need the specific file and version please.

Archived