'ND log file could not be generated!' error message returns.

Zooferret

A couple of months ago I reported this issue. It can be found here: 

In my original post I claimed that an update had fixed this issue but I had made a mistake. Upon further testing I found that for me this issue would always occur on the second time loading the A330 into the sim after a reinstall. This issue has existed in all versions since 1.0.0.2. 

I installed the aircraft on a number of different drives and in different locations on those drives. I even set my antivirus to whitelist these location. After the initial install and restart, the aircraft would load in fine and work normal. I would be able to complete a normal flight and close the sim for the day. Upon my return the next day, I would load the sim and the A330 and would be greeted by: (Sim is always run in administrator mode)

Please login to display this image.

After which the sim would take forever to load and leave me in the sim unable to use it due to 1 FPS it was giving me. 

After this I would uninstall the aircraft through control panel, delete the remaining files from the install location (If any remain) and reinstall. 

The whole process would repeat, working perfectly after the fresh install and on the second sim load would present the same error. 

The fact there is no error context inside the box and reading other reported cases (mainly affecting the A320 series) makes me believe there is a registry error pointing to the wrong location, however I am unable to find registry entries that could be a concern.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Deputy Sheriffs

All reports in the past about this kind of error were due to insufficient permissions and could be solved by running the sim as Administrtor (right click on the exe and choose "Run as...") and/or installing the sim and its addons outside the c:\program files(x86) folder.

Please tell us the complete installation path of:

- P3D

- the Airbus

- your documents folder

On 3/23/2020 at 4:54 PM, mopperle said:

All reports in the past about this kind of error were due to insufficient permissions and could be solved by running the sim as Administrtor (right click on the exe and choose "Run as...") and/or installing the sim and its addons outside the c:\program files(x86) folder.

Please tell us the complete installation path of:

- P3D

- the Airbus

- your documents folder

I have installed the aircraft in multiple places on mutiple drives and as said in the post the sim is always run as administrator

Prepared is located under: B:/Prepar3d v4

For troubleshooting sake the aircraft is installed in D:/Applications/Aerosoft

and Documents is located on D:/Users/Documents

I don't understand.

I don't have any other users on my computer and I have all administrator right, I've even tried to overwrite the individual file permissions

• Aerosoft

In that case there has to be an issue with the rights administration on your system, the OS simply does not allow that file to be created. There simply is no other reason for this error.

I assume you have tried directly after a reboot?

On 3/24/2020 at 7:58 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

But still, the fact remains that the user you are logged in with does not have rights to write to your_install_folder\Aerosoft A318-A319 Professional\Data

Just confirm I am supposed to have Aerosoft A318-A319\Data in my install folder.

I don't own the A318-A319 so that folder does not exist for me. 

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, Zooferret said:

Just confirm I am supposed to have Aerosoft A318-A319\Data in my install folder.

I don't own the A318-A319 so that folder does not exist for me. 

No, if you have only the A330 then it is Aerosoft A330\Data

Ok, so I've found a 'solution' which in turn also reveals an issue.

I found that the aircraft MUST be installed in the documents/Prepar3d v4 Addons file. Once the aircraft is installed you must open the addon.xml inside the Aerosoft a330 in Notepad++ or similar and replace the dot shortening at the start of the paths (./xxxxx) with the file directory to file on your hard drive (X:\XXXXXX\Documents\Prepar3d v4 Addons\Aerosoft A330\XXXXXX)

Here is an example of what my addon.xml looks like now:

I feel like this would be hard for someone who doesn't have a IT background to debug. 

Maybe the installer should recommend that the user install in the Documents/Prepar3d v4 Addons instead of the default registry applications folder. Alternatively, I pretty sure (don't quote me on this) the FSLabs must install in the Documents/Prepar3d v4 Addons so you could enforce this too. Just my suggestion :) 

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, Zooferret said:

I found that the aircraft MUST be installed in the documents/Prepar3d v4 Addons file.

Sorry, but this is simply not correct. I have all my add-ons, supporting the new addon xml methode, installed in a folder called d:\P3D Addons and never had a problem, nor did I have to manually change any file.

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, Zooferret said:

I found that the aircraft MUST be installed in the documents/Prepar3d v4 Addons file.

That was a general misinterpretation of the P3D SDK when Lockheed Martin introduced the "add-on.xml" registration method in P3Dv3. 

This new registration method is actually the opposite of defining one fixed path, but leaving it 100% to the customer, where he wants his stuff to be installed to. 

5 hours ago, mopperle said:

Sorry, but this is simply not correct. I have all my add-ons, supporting the new addon xml methode, installed in a folder called d:\P3D Addons and never had a problem, nor did I have to manually change any file.

5 hours ago, Tom A320 said:

That was a general misinterpretation of the P3D SDK when Lockheed Martin introduced the "add-on.xml" registration method in P3Dv3. 

This new registration method is actually the opposite of defining one fixed path, but leaving it 100% to the customer, where he wants his stuff to be installed to. 

I know this is not how the addon.xml is supposed to be work.  In fact I have a number of addons outside this folder. However for the case of THIS error this is a working solution. It may not be the only solution but at least  it works. 

Many, many times I have see this error in the forums, some people find a solution and some don’t, but at least now, as community support, you have a forum thread that has working solution to refer to should it ever creep up again

• Aerosoft
18 hours ago, Zooferret said:

I know this is not how the addon.xml is supposed to be work.  In fact I have a number of addons outside this folder. However for the case of THIS error this is a working solution. It may not be the only solution but at least  it works. 

On YOUR system, that just indicates that there is some setting on your system we did not anticipate.  But we do not advise this for users. The best place to install add-ons is in a folder as close to the root of a drive as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Still experiencing the same error. Uninstalled everything, made a fresh install pointing the installer to my directory "Aerosoft" on my F:-drive, where P3D is installed on my I:-Drive.  I'm running P3D as administrator.   

18 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

The issue is not with the files, but with the rights, it is the OS that prevents the application access to the folder.

Sounds reasonable, but from which folder/file do I have to change permissions? ( Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bits ). Is it only the folder where I installed my Aerosoft aircraft. like D:\Aerosoft\Aerosoft A330 Professional? 

• 4 weeks later...

same here, ive tried multiple suggestions with the p3d v5 install from simmarket

the second window has me beat as I can see it in my addons.cfg and the update manger can see it installed into p3dv5

forgot to add these

add-on.xml add-ons.cfg

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Are you sure this is correct?

[Package.82]
Path=F:\Users\jeans\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\P3Dv5
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

That is correct, it contains custom scenery, I couldve renamed that folder better I guess

#

however ive been revisiting the permissions for the addons folder and other sim related folders as other threads including this one and I think i have found the problem and fixed it within my remit

7 hours ago, jeansy said:

That is correct, it contains custom scenery, I couldve renamed that folder better I guess

#

however ive been revisiting the permissions for the addons folder and other sim related folders as other threads including this one and I think i have found the problem and fixed it within my remit

Hi,

Could you please be so kind and provide info on what you did, as I get the same error when trying to load the aircraft?

Kindest regards,

Matej

On 5/26/2020 at 4:24 AM, hollow said:

Hi,

Could you please be so kind and provide info on what you did, as I get the same error when trying to load the aircraft?

Kindest regards,

Matej

Good question well asked, it worked for a session and the very next it didnt so im not sure if that was the fix, im having zero luck the past 2 nights

4 hours ago, jeansy said:

Good question well asked, it worked for a session and the very next it didnt so im not sure if that was the fix, im having zero luck the past 2 nights

Thanks for the answer. Do you use Lorby`s Addon organizer by any chance? I found out this tool was causing me problems but found a cure for it 🙂 

Please let me know if you use it, I`ll pass you my workaround...

I had the same Problem. When I start the Lorby AddOn organizer, everytime I‘m getting the message „A330 Pro Package added“ - so far so good, but in the AddOn Manager are now two different 330-entries with two different titles:

A330 Pro V5 and

A330 Professional v5

If I delete one of them, I get the ND-error Message. If I leave them, the plane starts normally.

of course, there is only one addon.xml in the Aerosoft/A330 folder maybe there is a Problem with the titles in the addon.xml.

In my documents/P3d v5 addons is no A330 folder.

16 hours ago, hollow said:

Thanks for the answer. Do you use Lorby`s Addon organizer by any chance? I found out this tool was causing me problems but found a cure for it 🙂 

Please let me know if you use it, I`ll pass you my workaround...

Funny you say that I only installed it the other night to get sode to run

so yes please i would be interested to try

Archived