Unrealistic behaviour

theophile

Hello.I am somewhat concerned about a recent flight with the DC-8 that ended in a crash.The flight was from Denpasar,Bali to Brunei airport,Brunei.The plane was loaded to the max

and sufficient fuel was taken in.The outside temp was 31 degrees Celsius.Now,I know that these are not beginner conditions,but then again, I am not a beginning pilot.

After take-off we got into a massive storm front,no way to fly around it.I initially managed a climb into the low 30's (FL 340),but I was unable to hold it,of course,so I gradually

lowered the altitude.As I was flying in a storm,I had all my anti-ice equipment working.As long as I was descending,the speeds were acceptable.But at each lower altitude

that I leveled out,I was unable to hold her there.I used the tables (Maximum continuous thrust vs RAT temperature) to try and keep level.Eventually,I got below 10000 feet,

which is below the local MDA,but she kept descending.Eventually she crashed.I have to say that I always use Active Sky P3Dv4 and there probably lies the problem.But

should a realistic flight model,like the Aerosoft DC8 has,not be able to take some punishment?

I really like this plane.And I am very choosy about my software planes.I only trust PMDG,A2A,Milviz,FSlabs,Leonardo Software,Majestic and Aerosoft.Could any of you

experienced simpilots give your opinion on this,please?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, theophile said:

Hello.I am somewhat concerned about a recent flight with the DC-8 that ended in a crash.The flight was from Denpasar,Bali to Brunei airport,Brunei.The plane was loaded to the max

and sufficient fuel was taken in.The outside temp was 31 degrees Celsius.Now,I know that these are not beginner conditions,but then again, I am not a beginning pilot.

After take-off we got into a massive storm front,no way to fly around it.I initially managed a climb into the low 30's (FL 340),but I was unable to hold it,of course,so I gradually

lowered the altitude.As I was flying in a storm,I had all my anti-ice equipment working.As long as I was descending,the speeds were acceptable.But at each lower altitude

that I leveled out,I was unable to hold her there.I used the tables (Maximum continuous thrust vs RAT temperature) to try and keep level.Eventually,I got below 10000 feet,

which is below the local MDA,but she kept descending.Eventually she crashed.I have to say that I always use Active Sky P3Dv4 and there probably lies the problem.But

should a realistic flight model,like the Aerosoft DC8 has,not be able to take some punishment?

I really like this plane.And I am very choosy about my software planes.I only trust PMDG,A2A,Milviz,FSlabs,Leonardo Software,Majestic and Aerosoft.Could any of you

experienced simpilots give your opinion on this,please?

Hmm.  It's odd that you were able to reach FL340, yet not hold it...after all, as we all know, it should take more thrust to reach an altitude than it does to hold it.   Can you elaborate as to how you could reach 34,000 yet not hold it?  I mean, at a given thrust, if lift or thrust dropped, wouldn't you have stalled out climbing to that altitude?  It sounds like the wings were losing lift (icing) despite your efforts to counter it, and maybe even when you dropped above the freezing level it wasn't enough?  (Somehow, I doubt FSX/P3D takes into account melting of ice as you drop low, but I could be wrong)

It is also possible it was something related to ActiveSky.   You might remember the issues the PMDG MD-11 and ActiveSky had in 2006-2007 time period...they went back and forth with fixes and eventually the porpoising and altitude drops were solved.  I don't think I'd be too concerned about it though, unless it starts happening regularly with the DC-8 and under less demanding conditions.  With the MD-11, it was reproduceable on almost every flight at first.

I've never had the problem you describe with the DC-8, but, I admittedly have never flown it into storms of that severity.  I will fly several hundred miles to go around such weather, if I can.  I have the Milviz radar installed in my DC-8 and it generally keeps me out of trouble...most of the time.   It could be that even a real-world situation like that would have ended poorly.  Remember the Amazon Prime Air Boeing 767 crash near Houston, TX a few years ago?   The cause on that was primarily pilot disorientation but wx was the ultimate cause.

Anyway I am glad to see you have survived, well, maybe not virtually survived, the crash.

• 3 months later...

Yes,indeed,the problem lies in Active Sky.I subsequently modified the parameters and never got this sort of conditions again.Thank you so much for taking an interest,sorry I just now found your post.

Archived