Honeycomb yoke, unbearable and uneven dead zones

Hi,

the honeycomb yoke was delivered to me a few days ago and after some excessive testing this yoke it leaves me  aside from the awesome build quality quite unsatisfied and with big questionmarks in my head...

those dreaded dead zones... was i just unlucky and received a unit with a unfortunate factory side calibration or is this yoke supposed to work that way? My dead zones are as bad as the worst examples on Youtube, where reviews show that movements several degrees to left and right result in absolute no change in the raw data of the output of the controller. If that wasn‘t enough, on my yoke the dead zones are uneven on both axes. The aileron axis has a slightly larger one to the left and a significant larger one on elevator nose down. That one is REALLY noticeable. The aileron dead zone is frustrating if i fly more agile and direct planes with higher roll rates. The banking movement is interrupted in a complete unrealistic way because of the dead zone.

again, my dead zones already show up in the raw data, it‘s not a problem with configured null zones in prepar3d or fsuipc.

so, coming back to the first question, is my honeycomb working as designed and intended or just configured with way too large dead zones?

there was rumored that there is a software tool in the making  by honeycomb for customizing the dead zones. Any news on that? Also there is an undocumented way to recalibrate the dead zones, is this still a kept secret from unsatisfied users? My return window closes in 25 Days, if there is a way to reconfigure the dead zones i will definitely keep it because otherwise the yoke is awesome, but atm no joy to use. If not then i alas will return it...

Greets,

Frieg

I never noticed such big deadzones on my honeycomb. I suggest sending a mail to Aerosoft, I'm sure they'll sort it out and deliver a replacement if there's a problem with your controller.

I bought the yoke via another German shop, not Aerosoft, but Aerosoft is the distributor and responsible for support outside of the USA, right? For a simple exchange i have to send it back to the original shop I guess, hoping to get a better unit...

This is one of the big question marks, why decide to write the dead zones non customizable  into the firmware after factory calibration. If there goes something wrong during this process there is no way to correct the wrong values after the yoke left the factory. And why no driver that let‘s the user customize such things? They took all that time to develop the yoke and then this... weird! And if they did more target user group  testing I bet the pitch axis wouldn‘t have ended giving us such a hard workout XD

2 hours ago, Frieg said:

I bought the yoke via another German shop, not Aerosoft, but Aerosoft is the distributor and responsible for support outside of the USA, right? For a simple exchange i have to send it back to the original shop I guess, hoping to get a better unit...

If you bought it from a reseller then the reseller is responsible for an exchange, not Aerosoft.

Support will be provided by Aerosoft as best as they can, but things like an exchange are always handelled by your reseller.

2 hours ago, Frieg said:

This is one of the big question marks, why decide to write the dead zones non customizable  into the firmware after factory calibration. If there goes something wrong during this process there is no way to correct the wrong values after the yoke left the factory. And why no driver that let‘s the user customize such things? They took all that time to develop the yoke and then this... weird! And if they did more target user group  testing I bet the pitch axis wouldn‘t have ended giving us such a hard workout XD

That's a question you really need to ask to the developers, not to Aerosoft.

Hi Dave,

i got it from this video, where he talks about an undisclosed method of recalibrating the yoke given to him by honeycomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=252&v=9n1v5qRBkYI&feature=emb_title

Will do so tomorrow.

But idk if honeycomb would declare it defective. Theres no reaction from them so far to my support ticket. There was never any official statement to the several reports on the internet about the dead zones, there is even a guide to add an arduino controller to get rid of the dead zones and low resolution.  

It‘s up to the reseller, if they replace it then i will try the new unit, if it‘s the same i will return for refund and be done with this yoke. If they just refund i won’t reorder until a driver with more options is out.

• Aerosoft

I would not worry, your controller is definitely defective. We sold many thousands by now and though we have seen it issue it is not something that worries us. If you sell that many there will be some that are not correct. 

In the end, if you do not like this controller, just select another one, at that price range there are several options.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, the Shop straight up gave me a refund despite my demand for a replacement and a detailed description of the issue. New order via aerosoft then :)

1 minute ago, Frieg said:

Hm, the Shop straight up gave me a refund despite my demand for a replacement and a detailed description of the issue. New order via aerosoft then :)

Maybe they didn't have any more of the Yokes, they have been extremely popular and sell out quick with the majority of customers being very happy.  I know I wouldn't part with mine!  If they are out of stock (and not knowing when another replacement might be received given world events), a refund is not only the appropriate way for them to handle this, it seems very customer oriented to me.

Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

At this point, the issue is between the original poster and the shop (not Aerosoft) he purchased it from.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived