New iOS app

disco79stu

Hi,

I just downloaded the iOS app on my iPad and I have 2 questions/issues:

1. I couldn’t figure out how to add an airport to my favorites. Can somebody help me?

2. Depending on how much info is on the charts, zooming and panning can be very very “laggy” so much that it’s very hard to control the charts or even make them unusable. I could not zoom into where I wanted, it jumped around Rapidly and moving the chart also has a huge delay. It is very inconvenient to use it this way, especially if you have to get info quickly. 

Can we expect an improvement of performance some time in the future? Or is there something else I can do to improve it?

Regards,

Stu

I ve  arrived a little bit late to the Testers request and I ve been  taking part of the slack forum....but I’ve just downloaded the IOS app and I agree it’s slow and I have a very fast internet connection...

personally I would maintain the old font also I prefer a lot more than the new futuristic one...and maybe adding a departure arrival alternate Tabs to the left menu giving the chance to switch it  Just as in the Lido mPilot and Lido eRM.

My Best Regards

Diogo Ferreira

Hi

Is in a future update planned to add a moving map function? For me personaly, it would be a decision point to switch to NDP. Nice clear charts are useless, when you don't now 100% where you are :)

Hi Mathijs, Robert,

I’m also experiencing the slow loading and jumping around of the charts on iPadOS, iPad 6th gen. I would like to second both requests written above, with tabs and the (luckily!) already planned moving map functionality. 

Would it, in view of making it more realistic, be possible in the future to load flightplans in order to have your route shown together with waypoints? Or perhaps allow for manual entry of a route?

just a thought, as I saw and know a lot of my flying colleagues really enjoy that functionality in Lido’s mPilot app for added situational awareness.

compliments are in order for the improvements with for example the dark charts, also a big thank you from my eyes 😉

well done so far!

Stefan

Hi!

As for any favorite or kneeboard action just long press item in chart list or airport list for context menu. Our decision was to maintain the same UI/UX across all platforms.

As for performance problems this appears to be iOS related issue as no Android user experience this problem and we are using the same code base for both. I'll look into it but will need some good examples of problematic charts? Or are all of them laggy and unusable?

18 minutes ago, RobsonM said:

Hi!

As for any favorite or kneeboard action just long press item in chart list or airport list for context menu. Our decision was to maintain the same UI/UX across all platforms.

As for performance problems this appears to be iOS related issue as no Android user experience this problem and we are using the same code base for both. I'll look into it but will need some good examples of problematic charts? Or are all of them laggy and unusable?

No I think it is a problem with all charts. I have the iPad and when you zoom in/out with fingers it's a bit laggy, even if i have a good connection!

2 hours ago, RobsonM said:

Hello Robert,

As Riky already pointed out, it seems to be with all charts. (iPad 6th gen, iPadOS)

Stefan

@RobsonMI think part of the problem may be the fact that when you reach the max zoom level with the pinch gesture, it switches to moving mode. Meaning you zoom in and suddenly it moves the chart away. Other systems normally will “bounce back” when you overshoot the max zoom level (just try with any website on an iPad...).  Add that to a little lag where you can’t immediately see how much you zoom in and you get a very “jumpy” chart.

You can test this with a text only chart (some AOI etc) which doesn’t show much lag in my case. Compare that to a transition chart for example at EDDM.

12 hours ago, disco79stu said:

@RobsonMI think part of the problem may be the fact that when you reach the max zoom level with the pinch gesture, it switches to moving mode. Meaning you zoom in and suddenly it moves the chart away. Other systems normally will “bounce back” when you overshoot the max zoom level (just try with any website on an iPad...).  Add that to a little lag where you can’t immediately see how much you zoom in and you get a very “jumpy” chart.

You can test this with a text only chart (some AOI etc) which doesn’t show much lag in my case. Compare that to a transition chart for example at EDDM.

I can see that glitch. Will fix that zoom issue soon. Also I've lowered chart file size on server to aid mobile apps. Should still have enough detail and be much lighter ;)

Vor 1 Stunde, RobsonM sagte:

I can see that glitch. Will fix that zoom issue soon. Also I've lowered chart file size on server to aid mobile apps. Should still have enough detail and be much lighter ;)

Sounds great. Perhaps you could also limit the zoom out functionality, I can’t really see the use of something like this :);)

Please login to display this image.

12 minutes ago, disco79stu said:

Sounds great. Perhaps you could also limit the zoom out functionality, I can’t really see the use of something like this :);)

Please login to display this image.

agreed ;)

On 15.3.2020 at 13:25, RobsonM sagte:

Hi!

I have an iPad Air (iOS 12.4.5) and the kneeboard / favorite function does not work. I get the lens only but no context menu when long pressing the item.  So how do you get the context menu instead of the lens?

Or will this App only work with devices running iOS 13? It appears that the kneeboard does not work on iOS 12 devices.

Cheers,

Chris

On 19.3.2020 at 07:44, Cargostorm sagte:

I have an iPad Air (iOS 12.4.5) and the kneeboard / favorite function does not work. I get the lens only but no context menu when long pressing the item.  So how do you get the context menu instead of the lens?

Or will this App only work with devices running iOS 13? It appears that the kneeboard does not work on iOS 12 devices.

Cheers,

Chris

Same here, longpress does nothing. iPad Air 2, iOS 13.3.1

vor 20 Minuten, tosco92 sagte:

How do I add a map to the kneeboard in the iPad ?

luca

It‘s mentioned right in this discussion above that it‘s currently not possible and being worked on. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 9:39 PM, Lenair said:

Hi

When we can expect an update of the iOS app?

2 weeks time tops. Don't want to blame covid for this but it's actually covid... Test devices delivery got delayed big time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have bad news and good news. Good is that NDP Charts mobile app has an update, bad news is that it's currently only available on Android. And here's why:

Apple as a company does not respect both the developers and customers, but I might be biased. In the time between initial lunch of NDP charts on iOS and now they've changed a document named App Store Review Guidelines, adding clauses that force us to use in app purchases, even though that's against our policy, license and overall app idea. It was never planned to allow subscription to be obtained from mobile or desktop app due to plenty technical and legal reasons. But here we have to solve it somehow. I am happy to provide files for sideloading if you jailbreaked you iOS device but for an official update on (cr)App Store you'll have to wait unfortunately as I have to add new feature (both app and server side) and test it before sending it into the wild. And then of course 2-3 business days for folks at Cupertino to check and approve of my work...

Forgive me if I sound unfavorable towards Apple but they really deserved it in my opinion. This in app purchase thing is nothing else than ignoring any common sense and developers perspective on it. As a dev I need freedom in my app design and in some cases some things just don't work.

Happy flying and stay safe in this though times!

Archived