A320 Thrust Reverse Timing

John Pettit

I have set up two of the levers to act as Thrust Reverse Levers on my Saitek Pro and Saitek  Quadrant (so six levers in all). I have used FSUIPC5 and assigned them as recommended by the FSUIPC gurus. They work, BUT!

The problem is that they take sooooo long to activate that the ground speed has reduced to about 60 kts or less by the time the engines spool up. This means they are effectively useless. On a real-world aircraft with which I am familiar the thrust reversers worked much faster and were in fact normally reduced to idle power by around 60 kts. [Those real-world engines were RB211-524's so engine size does not appear to be a determining factor.]

My question has two parts (!):

Is the timing I am experiencing realistic? If not, is there a way I can speed up the reverser response time?

I would like to be able to speed it up as I am quite pleased with the attachment I have made to use what were two redundant levers.  

• Aerosoft

No, that sounds not normal. See if using the F2 key to activate the reversers quicker and when it does you know the issue is not in the aircraft but ni how it is controlled. Please keep us informed as I am interested what could cause this.

Sorry Mathijs, I have found the problem - as usual it was me! 

Firstly I did not realise that to use the F2 key for reverse it needs to be held ON - it then works well giving a full reverse thrust EPR of 1.163 in 8 seconds.

Secondly, I had not correctly calibrated the axes of the two levers I am using for reverse thrust. By chance I found out how to do it correctly, and I now have graduated reverse thrust EPR up to the same figure of 1.163 EPR, also achievable in 8 seconds. Not only that, but I am able to reduce reverse thrust in a graduated way dependent on reverse thrust lever position.

Nevertheless thank you for your continuing support - it is much appreciated  ;)

Archived