Autopilot Heading Changes Turns Wrong Direction

I scoured the posts and did nor see anything related to this behavior. I have flown many sim airliners and some real aircraft as well.  Here is the scenario...

I loaded a flight into the FMS, had clean takeoff and good autopilot engagement.  At the start after engaging, I change heading using the MCP based on ATC direction to turn right or left but the CRJ starts the right way  and then reverses direction after turning the heading knob further.  FMS flight went fine but during vectors, again I am on a heading of 050 and ATC says turn right to 190.  I turn the heading bug and the CRJ starts right but then turns left when setting the course to 190.   I tried using incremental turns of the heading knob but the CRJ still reverses the turn direction.  I has to disengage the AP to manually turn and try to re-engage when on course in time to activate APPR and capture the LOC and GS.   Is this normal behavior for this aircraft?

Archived