List of Folders to Exclude from Antivirus?

regis902

Hello, I'm back to having CTD's on aircraft loading with the A330 as previously discussed in these two threads:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/150820-a330-ctd-when-loading-flight-again/

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/149715-a330-ctd-when-loading-flight/

I'm pretty sure the issue is my antivirus (I use bitdefender).  When I reinstall the aircraft with antivirus disabled it works fine, but as soon as the antivirus is enabled the aircraft will no longer work, even if I disable it again and attempt to use the aircraft.  Only a full reinstall will work.  

So my theory is that even though I've excluded every folder I can think the Airbus uses, my anti-virus seems to be "attacking" something in the A330 and disabling it.  I'm not getting any notifications through bitdefender.

Here are the folders I have excluded (I also have my P3d folder excluded but these are the Aerosoft-specific ones):

e:\libraries\documents\aerosoft\general

e:\libraries\documents\aerosoft\asupdater

e:\libraries\documents\aerosoft

d:\program files (x86)\aerosoft\aerosoft a330 professional\simobjects\airplanes\aerosoft a333 rr professional

d:\program files (x86)\aerosoft\aerosoft a330 professional\simobjects

d:\program files (x86)\aerosoft\aerosoft a330 professional

d:\program files (x86)\aerosoft

Are there any that I'm missing?  I'm at the point where I can't use the aircraft without reinstalling it every time so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I'm also near the end of my bitdefender subscription so I may turf that and return to windows defender, see if that helps.

Thanks for any help.

2 hours ago, regis902 said:

Hello, I'm back to having CTD's on aircraft loading with the A330 as previously discussed in these two threads:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/150820-a330-ctd-when-loading-flight-again/

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/149715-a330-ctd-when-loading-flight/

I'm pretty sure the issue is my antivirus (I use bitdefender).  When I reinstall the aircraft with antivirus disabled it works fine, but as soon as the antivirus is enabled the aircraft will no longer work, even if I disable it again and attempt to use the aircraft.  Only a full reinstall will work.  

So my theory is that even though I've excluded every folder I can think the Airbus uses, my anti-virus seems to be "attacking" something in the A330 and disabling it.  I'm not getting any notifications through bitdefender.

Here are the folders I have excluded (I also have my P3d folder excluded but these are the Aerosoft-specific ones):

e:\libraries\documents\aerosoft\general

e:\libraries\documents\aerosoft\asupdater

e:\libraries\documents\aerosoft

d:\program files (x86)\aerosoft\aerosoft a330 professional\simobjects\airplanes\aerosoft a333 rr professional

d:\program files (x86)\aerosoft\aerosoft a330 professional\simobjects

d:\program files (x86)\aerosoft\aerosoft a330 professional

d:\program files (x86)\aerosoft

Are there any that I'm missing?  I'm at the point where I can't use the aircraft without reinstalling it every time so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I'm also near the end of my bitdefender subscription so I may turf that and return to windows defender, see if that helps.

Thanks for any help.

I see you created a double post, only this one has the folders you didn't include in the first post.  Okay, I'll remove the first duplicate post.

Instead of excluding every single sub-folder, why not just exclude the Aerosoft folder?  Anyway, it seems that you've installed a 64-bit aircraft into a 32-bit only folder (the Program Files X86 folder).  If memory serves, we've already told you this is an extraordrinaly bad idea and will prevent the software from working correctly.

Follow the logic here with me... if you've done this, I'm guessing you've done the same with a lot of other things and this is going to result in all sorts of very snakey things happening for which I'll guess that you'll reach out for assitance with.  I think at this point I would reinstall Windows 10, and move forward from there, and then ONLY install flight sim software to the default locations.  I know this is a little bit of work, but in the long run it will prove to be far less work and far less frustraitons for all concerned.

Best wishes.

Hi Dave, thanks for taking care of the double post.  Not sure how that happened as I only intended to post once.

I think you may be confusing me with someone else as this is the first time I've been given the advice to move an aerosoft product outside of the the Program Files X86 folder (and to my knowledge the first time I've ever mentioned on this forum where I have anything installed).  If I had been told that before I would have simply installed this somewhere else, which I have now done in the root of my D-drive. I'll see if this has an impact on my issue.

I looked back through my recent support forum post history and it's really just a handful of issues related to the A330 that I was either able to resolve myself or are related to this ongoing issue.  I'm typically a pretty low maintenance customer that can figure out issues myself when they crop up.

Reinstalling windows for this would be extreme overkill in my opinion.  I'd need a really solid reason to spend weeks doing that and there's not much P3D-related in the the Program Files X86 folder other than a handful of Aerosoft addons that all otherwise work fine (CRJ Pro and a few sceneries)

In terms of the virus scanning exemptions, I could clean that up, when I was having issues I wasn't 100% sure that a high level exclusion would exclude all sub folders so better safe than sorry.  Are you thinking having multiple exclusions could cause issues or is that just a tidiness thing?

To my original question, are you aware of any other folders I've missed in my shotgun approach to folder exclusions?

Thanks

Dave

3 hours ago, regis902 said:

I think you may be confusing me with someone else as this is the first time I've been given the advice to move an aerosoft product outside of the the Program Files X86

Yes sir, that is very possible!  My apologies my friend!

I'm typically a pretty low maintenance customer that can figure out issues myself when they crop up.

Absolutely!  I didn't meant to imply you were a burden my friend, simply that if you had more than a few 64-bit software products installed to a 32-bit directory (and the associated registery entires that come with that) that is may be best just to start fresh.

Reinstalling windows for this would be extreme overkill in my opinion.

It may well indeed be overkill, only you know for sure given which and how many 64-bit based programs were installed to a 32-bit folder.  If you have a bunch, it may actually be faster to reformat the hard drive and start with a fresh install of Windows.  It's certainly a cleaner way to go.  Anyway,  you know your system, how it's running and how 

Are you thinking having multiple exclusions could cause issues or is that just a tidiness thing?

The number of exclusions or exclusion entries doesn't affect performance. I was thinking work load wise.

I would do is disable  your computer security, uninstall the P3Dv4 applications which currently reside in  your Program Files X86 directory, reboot and then with computer security still disabled reinstall products to their default location (Documents\Aeroosoft).  Then reboot and try them to see how they are working. Don't forget to run the Airbus/CRJ Configurator.

Thanks Dave, appreciate the advice as always.  I did uninstall and then reinstall the a330 in my root D drive (my sim drive), ran into the same issue.  If I just never turned on my antivirus again there would be no issue, but once I turn it on, CTD.

Having read your last post, I will uninstall again and this time put it in the documents/Aerosoft folder.  I hadn’t used this folder in the past because it’s not my main sim drive and not on a SSD, but maybe that doesn’t matter much for aircraft.  I’m also going to switch back to windows defender as my bitdefender subscription is nearly up and it seems to be an overly aggressive program, causing my issues like these.

Hopefully between those two actions I’ll get this solved, will report back.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

To conclude this thread, I did remove Bitdefender and reverted to Windows Defender.  After quite a bit of testing everything appears to be stable so I think I can check this one off as being due to an overly aggressive or otherwise incompatible antivirus.  

Thanks again for your help Dave

Dave

Archived