Approach Speed

craigy

G'day Team Aerosoft

I have installed the latest c]version of software for the A330 and one thing I have noticed is that lowering the gear does not create the amount of drag I think it should. It has no impact on power ie when the gear extends there is no response from the throttles and yet airspeed does not reduce. Sometimes I have to close the throttles to get the aircraft to decelerate. I don't know how much drag the gear creates so it is my observation. Any A330 pilots out there to comment?

Cheers

Craig

Hello Craig! 

Also, are you on level flight or stablish on a descend path? 

On smaller airplanes, the gear makes a big difference on the inertia/drag relationship. Bigger airplanes with a lot of inertia the gear deployment may end up by not making much of a difference depending but not limited to other factors like flap configuration as well as gross weigh. For the A330 as a thumb rule, to keep your speed stable during approach (consider a 3° nominal descend) you'll need either flaps 2 or flaps 1+gear down. If you have already flaps 2 and then drop the gear the speed should eventually decrease but take some time, around 0,5 to 1NM. You don't need to move the throttle - thust lever for airbus - if you see the a/thr command for idle which can be checked on the upper part of upper ecam between epr parameters. You will still see "speed" on fma and idle on upper ecam(assuming your target speed is below current speed). If automation is working properly, closing the thrust levers will make no difference but give you more workload. 

Gross weight and environmental conditions (wind and temperature profile during descend) can greatly change all this dynamic. While this is true for mid-high weights (160+) lower weights(less inertia) will lead to more reactiveness to any drag increase. 

Ofc, as pilot you are the last resource and if things don't go as expected like automation not working properly, take appropriate action. 

I haven't got the chance to ride the new version but will give it a try during the weekend and see how it feels normal.

Thank you

Have a great day! 

Archived