VISTA 32 or 64 BIT for FSX

timbar

I will stay with XP, too - at least for now. (Rumor has it there may be a service pack 3 for XP including DX10).

As FSX is a 32 bit application - vista 64 should not be any better for FSX than Vista 32. It all depends on what other programs you are using. Older 32 bit applications may run into problems with vista 64, new 64 bit applications will profit from vista 64.

I went to Vista 64 so that all the ram is used and no issues with the drivers.... Everything is running fine. Some say I'm loosing in performance, but for me everything is fine now ;)

Is there any evidence that a pre-Vista, pre-64 bit app like FS9 is even capable of taking advantage of that much RAM..? If there was, then it might be worth it to install Vista 64 to enjoy a dual-sim experience with both FSX and FS9. But unless there is, all I hear is trouble with 64-bit, mainly surrounding other apps that can't use it, so you'd likely need to run 32-bit as well, and you cannot do that from the same copy of Vista, and you'd be burning your bridges with the earlier sim, and possibly other applications, which is not something I'd care to risk.

32-bit if you must. XP would still be my choice, even post-Vista SP1.

All in all, an expensive experiment just to accommodate 4-gig RAM!

• Aerosoft
Is there any evidence that a pre-Vista, pre-64 bit app like FS9 is even capable of taking advantage of that much RAM..? If there was, then it might be worth it to install Vista 64 to enjoy a dual-sim experience with both FSX and FS9. But unless there is, all I hear is trouble with 64-bit, mainly surrounding other apps that can't use it, so you'd likely need to run 32-bit as well, and you cannot do that from the same copy of Vista, and you'd be burning your bridges with the earlier sim, and possibly other applications, which is not something I'd care to risk.

32-bit if you must. XP would still be my choice, even post-Vista SP1.

All in all, an expensive experiment just to accommodate 4-gig RAM!

Is there any evidence FS9 under 'any' OS will use 2gb? I never seen it and I have NEVER closed any application before starting FS. I just do not believe it gets any faster when you do. Right now I am running almost the complete MS Office (expect Excel), two FTP apps in FireFox and I must have 30 tabs open in browsers. In the background there is a load of other stuff running. Yet I still have 30% of my physical memory (so real chips) unused and I can guarantee you I will not get more fps if I close other apps.

XP, 32 bits and 2 Gb. All you need, nothing is faster. 64bits will slow you down and will get you in all kinds of driver problems. Like Snave said... all that work to gain a few hundred Mb of memory you are not going to use anyway (okay, if you render vids or are compiling stuff while flying you 'might' use those extra megabytes).

• 3 weeks later...

With a config like he has, it is Vista 64-Bits without any doubt.

Learn to judge an OS based on your own experience and not based on the rumors you have heard on other forums.Vista is as good as XP now period(it was not the case on year ago but now the gap is closed).

FSX works very well under Vista-64. Don't put a 32 bits OS when you have 4gb of RAM

yves

My new pc came with Vista 64 Bit. FSX runs sweet with no problems full sliders -50% autogen.

FS9 is where my problems are its good in full screen mode but in window mode there looks like there is no AA enabled. New drivers installed and have been playing with nHancer (a driver tweak prog)

I stll say if its for FSX only go with Vista.