LSGG - CTD

B777ER

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/12/2020 at 1:42 PM, J5flyer said:

Yep I am using Navigraph, latest 2003 AIRAC.  Has anyone else tried it with the FS Labs A320?  Can the other two posters who have the same problem in this thread please confirm which aircraft you are using when the CTD occurs?  I'm continuing with some more test flights in the mean time.

That is what I am got my CTD in as well, using the exact same STAR and nav database as you. 

• Aerosoft

Hi all, I'm sorry that this is so tedious, but we really don't know what might be causing this, right now.

As it doesn't seem to be related to a specific aircraft, have you tried deactivating the Orbx stuff to see what happens?

Did you have a look into Otto's suggestions what might be causing this:

"- incompatible parts f a scenery, e.g. using old FSX stuff in P3D, zero byte files (bgl or texture) or tools installing trees/lights globally

- settings too high, especially autogen.

Did you already try to start with a fresh prepar3d.cfg? Also this guide on Avsim can be helpfull to track down issues:
https://www.avsim.com/files/file/87-avsim-prepar3d-guide/"

To add to the above by Ben .....To the people who get the CTD , did you update just the P3D client or Content and scenery as well ..... i don't get the CTD thankfully and i have updated all three parts so maybe it's another idea to try..... me and J5Flyer did another flight into LSGG using another STAR and we both landed fine ...he just gets a CTD on the LUSAR STAR.

Rich

On 3/8/2020 at 8:03 PM, J5flyer said:

Hello, I bought LSGG just yesterday so I have the latest version installed.  This evening I had the exact same problem as the poster above me, a crash to desktop while inbound on the LUSAR STAR, approx 2 nm to run to SOVAD.  I did a flight outbound from LSGG yesterday with no problems, but it is very strange that P3D crashed at the exact same point as the users above while inbound, indicating a problem somewhere.  The contents from windows event viewer is below:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.5.13.32097, time stamp: 0x5d8abf93
Faulting module name: terrain.dll, version: 4.5.13.32097, time stamp: 0x5d8abed8
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000009673
Faulting process ID: 0x2060
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5f572a31cf556
Faulting application path: D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\terrain.dll
Report ID: ef84ebfe-1c44-4972-9a2c-85f28eb0763e

Please let me know what other information you require.

Kind regards.

out of interest are you using fsglobal ?

and do you get the ctd when not using lsgg ?

On 2/22/2020 at 1:33 AM, B777ER said:

Always about 20 to 25nm.awa6 from airport. Mathijs suggestion to disable mesh is not going to happen. No other 3rd party airports in Europe have this problem. I have a bunch from numerous dev's installed all without issue including other Aerosoft airports. This bug is with LSGG, not my system. I'm uninstalling it. Waste of money.

I have the same issue Eric only LSGG. 

However I have a gut feeling that there is a conflict somewhere in the LSGG area.  A dodgy bgl or texture file causing it.  The issue is going to be narrowing it down to which BGL or texture file is causing the ctd/leak.  I hand on heart dont think its the airport scenery.

What is interesting is the CTD happens on arrivals into LSGG and not departures.  So somewhere when loading the bgls or texture files on approach it causes the ctd.

Like mentioned i actually dont think its the aerosoft scenery.   But something somewhere is causing a leak/bug  narrowing it down is going to be the hard bit. 

Similar to the coultl + eastern canada ctd that plagued us for years. 

On 3/25/2020 at 10:09 PM, keenrw said:

To add to the above by Ben .....To the people who get the CTD , did you update just the P3D client or Content and scenery as well ..... i don't get the CTD thankfully and i have updated all three parts so maybe it's another idea to try..... me and J5Flyer did another flight into LSGG using another STAR and we both landed fine ...he just gets a CTD on the LUSAR STAR.

Rich

are you getting on both runway approaches or just one ?? 

another ctd for me again.  this time on a 5 mile final onto runway 4.    there is definatley an issue somewhere.

4 hours ago, Stawberrycocktail said:

are you getting on both runway approaches or just one ?? 

another ctd for me again.  this time on a 5 mile final onto runway 4.    there is definatley an issue somewhere.

So far i have been able to land both runways using the full LUSAR STAR, i will try again on 04 as most of the time i have been using runway 22, my mate sadly can't fly over SOVED  without a CTD... when you updated P3D did you do all three parts or just the client? Reason is im guessing if you have just done the client to 4.5 leaving the rest at 4.3 etc you may run into problems as the Airport is for v4.4 and above.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:28 PM, keenrw said:

So far i have been able to land both runways using the full LUSAR STAR, i will try again on 04 as most of the time i have been using runway 22, my mate sadly can't fly over SOVED  without a CTD... when you updated P3D did you do all three parts or just the client? Reason is im guessing if you have just done the client to 4.5 leaving the rest at 4.3 etc you may run into problems as the Airport is for v4.4 and above.

no mine is a fresh install.  Can you ask your mate please if he uses fsglobal, orbx lc , or does he have any tweaks in cfg file such as terrain_exp=9.

many thanks

5 hours ago, Stawberrycocktail said:

no mine is a fresh install.  Can you ask your mate please if he uses fsglobal, orbx lc , or does he have any tweaks in cfg file such as terrain_exp=9.

many thanks

So a little advice here if I may. 

Aerosoft, and me personally, have long recommended with very, very few exceptions not to use any Tweaks with P3Dv4.  There are many, many reasons for this, and if one chooses to do so then we usually just pull support for them because it just messes with addons AND it can cause other addons to mess with addons and a person can end up with all sorts of unique issues. 

I'm sure if you were in our shoes (the single largest addon developer/publisher for P3D and Xplane) you'd feel exactly as we do and would not enjoy the cost of all the man hours we've spent time after time at time only to find out that someone was using tweaks, incorrect using Affinity Mask which is RARELY needed with P3DV4, etc. etc. etc.  Don't even get me started on third party shaders and the havoc they can create with addons. 

For those would would argue my point all I can say is that:

1. I've been doing flight sim technical support for about 15 years and I've worked with hundreds of flight simmers, maintained 15+ different flight sim computers each with unique configurations, and remotely worked on the computers of at least 100 more. 

2. I fly all high end software and I don't think it's a stretch to say that there aren't more than 10 people in the flight sim community who have as many addons installed/activated for P3Dv4 as I do and they all work together great (including ORBX FTX Global/Vector) on my system.  I simply do not have issues, and I test a great deal of new software as well!  There I think is a good lesson to be learned. 

3. If you can get a hold of Adam Breed at Lockheed Martin he'll very likely give you the same advice.

4.  P3Dv4.5 is FAR difference than FSX or P3Dv3 was, and the tweaks used with those older sims simply are not needed with P3Dv4.5.

At the very least I'd suggest  you move your tweaked Prepar3d.cfg and rebuild a new one if you're having issues.  This is the best way to eliminate the tweaks you're using as part of the problem.

Off my soap box now!  Best wishes!

• 3 weeks later...

ive also been flying sims for 20 years Dave and in p3d v4 this is THE ONLY AIRPORT  that ctds on short finals when on the approach, no other , zero, none, nada, glitch.

It is not my system its a glitch in your product.  And i save you the hassle before you say your tag line of "weve 1000s of happy customers"   I can fly into ANY OTHER airport and not get this issue!

1 hour ago, Stawberrycocktail said:

ive also been flying sims for 20 years Dave and in p3d v4 this is THE ONLY AIRPORT  that ctds on short finals when on the approach, no other , zero, none, nada, glitch.

It is not my system its a glitch in your product.  And i save you the hassle before you say your tag line of "weve 1000s of happy customers"   I can fly into ANY OTHER airport and not get this issue!

Well, if we have thousands of customers who don't have this issue, then...    (wink).

That doesn't mean we're not happy to take another look, we'd like you to be happy.  I'll try to fly this today and see if I find anything and I'll get back to you.

One favor please?  Let me know if you're using tweaks and the other things I mentioned?

Just to add a bit more to this issue... J5Flyer updated his nav data for the FSLABs Airbus and was able for the first time to fly the effected STAR without any CTD , ... Now this could have been ...coincidence…fluke…or something like the season has changed so different textures being loaded .. We have no idea, but he was able to Fly it and Land without issue, but we do intend to try it again just to be sure.

41 minutes ago, keenrw said:

Just to add a bit more to this issue... J5Flyer updated his nav data for the FSLABs Airbus and was able for the first time to fly the effected STAR without any CTD , ... Now this could have been ...coincidence…fluke…or something like the season has changed so different textures being loaded .. We have no idea, but he was able to Fly it and Land without issue, but we do intend to try it again just to be sure.

I was thinking the same thing... sometimes NavData has inherent issues which go unreported and are fixed in later revisions and sometimes (albeit rarely) the install doesn't go as planned.

There several other system based things which could cause this as well, like ORBX software not installing as it should (not as rare as one might thing), ORBX settings, scenery prioritization, etc.

I'll do my best to fly the approach today or tomorrow and if I'm able to fly it without issue then it's just go to be a system issue.

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I was thinking the same thing... sometimes NavData has inherent issues which go unreported and are fixed in later revisions and sometimes (albeit rarely) the install doesn't go as planned.

There several other system based things which could cause this as well, like ORBX software not installing as it should (not as rare as one might thing), ORBX settings, scenery prioritization, etc.

I'll do my best to fly the approach today or tomorrow and if I'm able to fly it without issue then it's just go to be a system issue.

Hi Dave

Sadly just did it again , we both flew in from EGKK to LSGG .. i made it fine ..but he had the CTD  so back to square one ...sorry for the false hope . The only thing i can think of now is that i updated all three parts to HF2, but he's just done the client so i guess that's the next step to test.

I'm in flight right now, just past SOVAD without any CTD.  I've found an issue with either the A321 or NavDataPro but that's not related.  I will do another flight shortly with Navigraph just to rule it out.  I'm departing LSGG 04 and back in via the STAR and Approach to 04 as reported.

Hello,

Sorry I've been quiet for a while on this thread, I've been silently doing a lot of 'test flights' into LSGG over the last few weeks, in particular today where I've flown in approximately 8 times with different settings trying to track down the problem.

I'm pleased to say that I think I've found a mini break through.  It is not a solution in the long run, but something to start with.  There is one setting in particular that made all the difference in my sim between getting a CTD in the SOVAD area on the LUSAR arrivals (for either runway), and managing to get through unscaved.  This setting is the "Autogen and scenery draw distance" setting in the World options in P3D.  With this set to 'High' (which is my normal setting for most flights) my sim stutters badly when reaching the SOVAD waypoint area, frames drop to below 5 and my system either CTD straight away or after a few seconds of struggling and fighting.  With this setting on 'Medium', I seem to be able to get past this point, with just one or two noticeable jumps in the frames. 

The other graphic settings do not seem to make a difference, I can have them maxed out or reduced, same result.  For whatever reason, the "Autogen and scenery draw distance" setting is making all the difference as far as I can see at the moment.  With it set to High, it must be in range of and trying to load a particular area that has a huge impact on performance.  For what its worth, my system has no such problems anywhere else or with any other payware scenery, being able to maintain a more or less steady 30 frames per second with the FS Labs, Active Sky, Chase Plane etc all running, even at larger airports surrounded by large dense cities.  I did try approaches into LSGG with none of those addons running - just literally P3D set to clear weather - with the same result.

As part of this LSGG scenery, has any extra autogen been placed or modelled outside the airport around the city area maybe that could be causing a performance hit or a problem?  The CTD Event Viewer logs point to the terrain.dll.  I don't seem to have any problem with performance with the airport itself, or when I load up to start a flight from it as mentioned before, so I have no complaints with the airport itself.  It must be something very specific or a certain area that was touched on as part of the airport/scenery package that is causing this.

I hope this helps in some way.  I'm quite tired at the moment but wanted to report my findings straight away so others can test.  If I think of anything else I'll let you know.  A friend of mine flew along with me for the last test flight, with me set to 'Medium' and him 'High'.  I got past the problem area ok, but he had severe stutters in his sim where I normally get the CTD.

Thanks once again Dave for your patience with this.  We appreciate your continued support.  Maybe you can give this a try.  Also ensure you arrive from quite far out so nothing is already 'loaded in' so to speak.

Edited to add that while testing the effect of Autogen and scenery draw distance, I had Buildings & Trees autogen density set to Dense for consistency.  I suppose the ultimate test going forward to narrow it down even further would be to reduce them one at a time, for example Buildings set to sparse with Draw Distance set to high, and see if that makes any difference, then the trees etc, although I'm a little burnt out to give it all a try right now.

James

Archived