What's the dong-sound we allways hear in the cabin ??

camaflight

As passengers we allways hear this dong-sound, while pushing back, a couple or more times while taxiing and especially while climbing. The same repeats while descending and taxiing to gate. If you're not quite sure what I mean with "dong-sound", you can listen to it in your FS9 sound folder or play the attached sample from that folder - the wave is called "dong". That's what we allways keep hearing in the cabin.

Has it to do with changes in pressurization or allerts or reminders for the crew or all ??

Carl

By law those sounds MUST also have a visual equivalent, so expect it to coincide with seatbelt sign for cabin crew, doors latched/unlatched or any number of crew-specific reminders. Those signs may be no a wall where the pax can't see them, and where they might not be seen by the crew if they weren't standing in line of sight at the time.

By law those sounds MUST also have a visual equivalent, so expect it to coincide with seatbelt signs for cabin crew, doors latched/unlatched or any number of crew-specific reminders. Those signs may be no a wall where the pax can't see them, and where they might not be seen by the crew if they weren't standing in line of sight at the time.

Yes, I see the logic in that. Hence, I've tried to find such signs or lights at the wall. I can see when the seat belt sign is turned on or off, but else there it's a lot of these dongs without any visual signs as far as I have been able to see or locate. Just for the record, I'm not talking about when passengers are calling for the stewardesses.

What about a cpouple of dongs while the aircraft is pushed back. And more of them when we taxi to RWY. Then when climbing, with the seat belt signs still turned on, we can here some dong-sounds. Later, we hear the dong when seat belt signs are turned off, but these dongs keep on comming like it could be every 5000 ft or something like that. Well I'm sure it's not only in my head :roll: the sound is hearable...I'm sure everyone can confirm they are there.

I just wonder....

Carl

Carl,

when the pilot and flight attendants call each other, you hear the dong, also in some cases, it is to inform the flight attendants to prepare for take-off, or that they can move around the cabin after takeoff, and to prepare for landing, etc,.

Depending on the airline, this requires 2 or 3 dongs.

If the captain needs coffe, then he calls the attendants in the front for it.

On Airbus models, I noticed the dong a short while after take-off, and assume it is to inform the crew that the gear has retracted.

Hope this was somewhat helpfull. :)

They are Call Chimes and are initiated at anyy of the crew "call stations" (phones or FAP - Flight Attendant Panel) to get the attention of the rest of the crew. Generally these are airline and aircraft specific, but if you hear more than two, cock an eyebrow - they are also linked to the group of indicator lights on the cabin ceiling at the exit and cross aisles.

Linked with these lights, these attention-getter chimes can tell the crew what's happening or what to do at which phase of flight. They are a kind of very short-hand morse. Also, the passenger call (when you use the button at your seat or in the lavatories) has a different tone to the crew call.

Lights and chimes are controlled at the FAP or Purser's work-station (on larger jets - the computer desk you will see close to the main forward left exit).

And if the airline wants, there is probably even a call code for "Captain wants..... coffee" :wink: - there are even chime codes for danger situations. And even an innocuous chime code at the "wrong" time can tell the crew "uh oh, we have a situation".

And that, folks, is probably why plane modellers may not often manage authentic chime patterns and codes for their models. The codes are a fairly closely guarded secret and of course, they don't want to worry the geese...

(Geese - come in a gaggle of randomly moving bodies and honk a lot)

Chris is exactly correct. I do quite a bit of real life flying private and commercial and no two airlines have the same set of call tones. Often you will hear two tones when taxiing and another set of two when about to take off. This is the Captain telling the crew whats going on.

With the new Regulations, the Cockpit door is never to be opened in flight anymore so the Cap better get his drinks before takeoff.

Make up your own codes.

• Aerosoft
Chris is exactly correct. I do quite a bit of real life flying private and commercial and no two airlines have the same set of call tones. Often you will hear two tones when taxiing and another set of two when about to take off. This is the Captain telling the crew whats going on.

With the new Regulations, the Cockpit door is never to be opened in flight anymore so the Cap better get his drinks before takeoff.

Make up your own codes.

Well I have been on a Delta flight that lasted 5 hours and the chime sounded every 20 seconds. During the whole flight. Every single bloody 20 seconds. We got free drinks. And excuses. And a few thousand chimes.

Reminded me of a drive from Nice to Amsterdam in a high end Citroen car. After a few minutes it used its great digital audio warning system to tel us "Left Back Door Is Open". The door was NOT open and there was no reset that could be done, switch that could be rigged, no fuse to pull etc. We endured 17 hours of "Left Back Door Open". Even writing it here makes my blood pressure rise. Nobody ever crossed Belgium as fast as we did in that car.

Hello all of you fellow flight simmers,

sorry it took some time for me to get back, I have been travelling - without ding-dongs :P

To danydj718, thanks for the link, Ich hab'mich aber da noch nicht gemeldet als ich so schõne Antworten hier bekommen habe. Aber gut zu wissen fûr spãter Gelegenheiten !

To you other Gentlemen, thanks alot and LOL !

Carl

Oslo, Norway