Navigraph vs Navdata Pro EFB performance

marcusjm

Obviously this question is directed towards the testers that have tried both.

My current take is that the Navigraph implementation might not be what Aerosoft hoped for and maybe it is better to dump Navigraph and

simply get Navdata Pro for the EFB charts.

Any testers like to chime in on this?

Hopefully none :).

The Question was posted here on suggestion by Dave so he could explain the differences here publically. Since only testers have access to both.

Based on what @Mathijs Kok wrote earlier, there could be different experiences using Navigraph and Navdata Pro in the EFB. So I wonder if it is worth dropping Navigraph

and use Navdata Pro instead. Only the testers knows for sure atm :). I decided to halt my Navigraph sub and will try the 1 month charts option :). I would try the Navdata Data as well but apparently

it does not support Pro ATC X so I have to make do with Navigraphs Data and these charts.

I have now bought Navdata Pro. Just to be clear @mopperlethere was no support issue here. Just a general consumer Question regarding the differences in use in 330 EFB. Now I will know how your system works at least.

I always liked LIDO better anyway.

It's just past 6am here and I'm starting my day, sorry I couldn't respond to your question last night.

I've been using Jeppesen charts (which is what Navigraph uses) real world and in the Sim for a very, very long time, and only looked at LIDO (which is what NavDataPro uses) charts and NavData (AIRAC) a few years ago. In fact I compared Navigraph and NavDataPro AIRAC data first, and sometime later I compared the charts.  Well, as luck would have it our CFD Captains in our Aerosoft Flight Sim Community had a few questions for me regarding Jeppesen and LIDO charts just a few weeks ago which tasked me with digging into the differences even deeper.

Before I give you my opinion I want to say something about Navigraph.  Many years ago one of the partners of Navigraph provided AIRAC data to the flight sim community for free and he did so for a number of years.  It was a ton of work for him each and every month, and eventually his costs and the amount of time spent doing this became too much and he needed help with both the work and cost, so Navigraph was formed.  I know the guys at Navigraph and I think the world of them and their products, and I have long recommended them to flight simmers.  The  managing partner Magnus is truly a wonderful guy and I'd like to believe we are friends.  Their team has done so much for the flight sim community over a very long time frame and one simply has to appreciate that.  I'd also like to add that Aerosoft and Navigraph aren't so much in competition, it's really just Jeppesen and LIDO who are.

LIDO AIRAC data and Charts are relatively new to the flight sim community, and when I first saw the full color charts I was impressed. But digging even deeper I have to say that I prefer LIDO to Jeppesen charts and the navdata, especially the approach plates where you'll find (in my opinion) far better approach waypoint designations and for takeoff all airports where it's possible to perform an intersection (non-full length) departure you'll find the distances on the charts for each intersection - you will only find this on a very few Jeppesen charts.

My personal preference for Charts and NavData is NavDataPro and the evaluation/comparison of the two formats I did for our CFD Captains a few weeks ago only served to solidify my preference for the LIDO format. By the way, we made sure that all our CFD Captains had both Navigraph and NavDataPro (AIRACs and Charts) so they could fly Connected Flight Deck with you guys regardless of which NavData our customers use.

Now, there is a small Caveat, and last night I spoke with our code team to ensure this was correct before I wrote it.  LIDO charts are georeferenced EXCEPT for Ground Charts (nothing we can do about that right now, it's how the data comes), so we are able to place the aircraft position on all charts except Ground Charts, and it's going to be a coupe/few weeks before this will be available in the Airbus and CRJ Professional aircraft EFBs.  Maybe that will change in the future, and I think it will but nobody but Lufthansa knows for sure.

I have to say that once you try NavDataPro AIRAC and Charts I don't think you'll be in a hurry to go back to the Jeppesen format.

Best wishes.

Many thanks Dave and your post MORE than exceeded my expectations for answer. I have decided to get the NavdataPro Charts and stay with Navigraph for Data for now (due to Pro ATC X).

Although, now I have a new issue. Can't get my keyboard to work in the EFB for charts but preferably I would like to use that popup you used in your demo flight. Still not sure how to get it.

11 minutes ago, marcusjm said:

Many thanks Dave and your post MORE than exceeded my expectations for answer. I have decided to get the NavdataPro Charts and stay with Navigraph for Data for now (due to Pro ATC X).

Although, now I have a new issue. Can't get my keyboard to work in the EFB for charts but preferably I would like to use that popup you used in your demo flight. Still not sure how to get it.

Most welcome my friend!

Archived